Author Topic: So what would you recomend for me?  (Read 776 times)

Offline Uriah

• Zinc Member
So what would you recomend for me?
« on: March 04, 2007, 10:36:57 AM »
Having fun reading the stuff on Ki-61 and SpitV it got me to wondering what plane would best suit my taste.  

1. I have only been flying online for about a year (mostly EAW 2.6).
     - Most players are far better than I and some planes I likely just can't handle nor do I know much about the strengths and weakness of the planes.

2. This is a game, not real, so most of the time I love a furball under 3k.
      (I like dodging trees and buildings)
3. I like turn fighting over zoom and boom
4. Sense this game is in the cockpit (no outside views once in the air) visibility is a real factor (I like the 109e but in this game it is difficult to look behind you).

If a H2H is not restricted to early war planes (I like those the best for just the  fun) then I need something to stand up against the late war planes.

Just what late war (1944 on) is the best turn fighter below 3k (in this game)?

Offline DblTrubl

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 10:46:32 AM »
Some will probably scold me for this, but try the N1K2. It performs well at low altitude and has decent visibility. The Ki-84 is also very capable but it takes a little more finesse to get the most out of it. Managing your speed and flaps is key for knife fighting in the Frank.

If you don't like Japanese hardware then...umm...pick your favorite flavor of Spitfire and have at it!

Offline TalonX

• Silver Member
If you like turning and burning...
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 10:53:19 AM »
The best turners for newbies are Spits (Seafire), the Hurri 2C, and even the dreaded A6M5.   I pick these for ease of flight, good turn rate, and cannons.

Like anything else, someone will be better and beat you no matter what.   That said, you will get some kills if you find planes at your alt and e.

When you want to avoid "dweebrides", move on to the P38 (G and J turn well in the right hands).    Gotta learn to use flaps in combat.  Ask VonHoltz to teach you something about the 38.  He rocks in them.

-TalonX

Forgotten, but back in the game.  :)

Offline sonic23

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 01:12:21 PM »
i would say everything u ask for is in the spit16 muhahaha
Sonic23 ++Blue Knights++
Sonic27 -==Hell Hounds==-

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 01:16:51 PM »
Hurri I for fun, Hurri IIC for getting even.
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 02:22:12 PM »
Originally posted by DblTrubl
Some will probably scold me for this, but try the N1K2. It performs well at low altitude and has decent visibility. The Ki-84 is also very capable but it takes a little more finesse to get the most out of it. Managing your speed and flaps is key for knife fighting in the Frank.

If you don't like Japanese hardware then...umm...pick your favorite flavor of Spitfire and have at it!

This is good advice.  Learning the Frank will provide you more entertainment, I think, although forward visibility is an issue.

- oldman

Offline Sweet2th

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 03:29:42 PM »

Draining the Center tank down to 50% is the first step.

Offline DblTrubl

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 03:55:31 PM »
Originally posted by Sweet2th
Draining the Center tank down to 50% is the first step.
That's all well and good but I don't like running out of gas or rtb after 10 mins and I generally don't fly it in a manner that requires it to be running on fumes to be successful. If you absolutely must have every last bit of performance then by all means...  I'd rather have a longer sortie. YMMV.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 04:05:09 PM »
For mostly furballing, I would strongly recommend the Hurri 2C, any Spit aside from the Mk1 and XIV, N1K, and A6Ms, in that order. If you're still on the steep part of the learning curve, I would recommend either tagging along with some furballers (requesting the occasional observer ride, watching films, etc), or hooking up with a trainer.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline TW9

• Silver Member
      • http://www.tedwilliams.com
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2007, 07:13:01 PM »
try the ki84. it handles very well against the turn and burnies and can out climb the norm of the lw's..
Quote from: sax
The community lacks personality , thank #@# for TW9 or
there would'nt even be anyone --------- left .
Quote from: Krusty
Edit2: BAN the ass-hat. That's not skuzzy, that's a tard named TW9

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2007, 07:23:02 PM »
I'm a Hurri 2C dweeb and I have the most trouble with the KI84. So I would take TW9's advice and try the KI84.
Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

Offline Sweet2th

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 07:57:09 PM »
That's all well and good but I don't like running out of gas or rtb after 10 mins and I generally don't fly it in a manner that requires it to be running on fumes to be successful. If you absolutely must have every last bit of performance then by all means...  I'd rather have a longer sortie. YMMV.

How on earth did you take from my statement that burning the center tank down to 50% would run out all the fuel?

There is more than 1 fuel tank in the plane.Ki-84 ii just the like the Ki-61 on fuel consumption(hardly any at all ) only the Ki-61 doesn't run out as fast.

Offline DblTrubl

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 08:25:00 PM »
I didn't, but you implied that the first step to killing in the 84 is to burn off half the fuel. I simply don't agree that it's necessary. Manage your fuel however you like and I'll do the same.

Cheers

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2007, 08:52:48 PM »
Originally posted by TW9
try the ki84. it handles very well against the turn and burnies and can out climb the norm of the lw's..

Dittos on that but have elevator trim at your fingers...the Ki84 is sluggish pulling out of a fast dive.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2007, 01:58:43 AM »
If you truely like to turn fight in the LW areans then Hurri IIC, Spit V, FM2, A6M5 and N1K2 are your machines.  There are others but with only a year under your belt these are your best bets.

If what you really mean is you like to be competetive all around and turn fight when needed then there's a lot more to look at; La (pick one), Spit (pick your flavor), KI-61, KI-84, C.205, Yak9U, F4U (pick one), P-38 (your choice but more difficult to master), F6F-5... this list goes on.

I personally lean toward the Hurri, Spit and F4F/FM2/F6F families for turn fighting but that's just my preference.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.