Author Topic: More rubber bullets...  (Read 671 times)

Offline Zuum

• Gold Member
More rubber bullets...
« on: March 04, 2007, 03:58:01 PM »
This is gonna get wild...I wonder, what difference does it make to choose between  cal.50 and 30mm Mk108 at all? From now on, I see no reason to choose the 30mm...That gun really seems to be totally ineffective against  american bombers...

Take a look at this film and, please, count those hits on bombers with my 30mm Rheinmetall-Boersig. You gonna be surprised how tough those big birds seem to be...

Film

So far, as I can count...I read at least 10 to 16 cannon hits at critical points in those bombers.

They caused just minor disturbing...or, hardly scratched them. As a matter of fact, they caused no real damage at all.

I never knew before, that americans made bombers out of titanium already at `40s...

:rolleyes:

IRL, the efficiency and power of MK108 was something else...please, take a look at this fact sheet:

MK108

Comments are wellcome.

P.S.  I have to point this discussion to another thread concerning same things:
Another discussion concerning the same oddity

Skuzzy & Hitech...I rely on the hope, You have some sort of good "tech-spec" explanation for this oddity. That is not just a question of "pings, delays, etc..etc..."

I rely on that hope, too, that You will have some proposal in this case, in near future....
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 04:28:46 PM by Zuum »
-Yuri Gagarin was a fool. He travelled three times around the world  and returned to CCCP-

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
More rubber bullets...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 06:45:59 PM »
ok, Those should have been some DEAD B24's!
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline eagleheartone

• Copper Member
More rubber bullets...
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 05:57:00 AM »
//  bet they were nit bombers.............  just seems all to familiar.
Eaglehrt

CO.  5th SFG "S.O.A.R."

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
Killing Bombers...
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 12:03:40 AM »
Zuum...

I watched the film and while I saw many hit sprites at various times...I question whether ALL of those hit sprites were 30mm...and I question whether the hit sprites I saw were concentrated enough to take down a bomber in a single pass.

I fly the Corsair, mostly, and do take down bombers in a single pass with .50 calibers. My convergence is set very close...under 300...and concentration of fire is paramount to destroying a bomber. I did not see this kind of concentration of fire in your film.  :-(

Perhaps you saw machine gun hit sprites while the 30mm may have been falling short of target?

Just as an aside...you may want to take a look at your attack technique with regard to the rounds you are firing. A single 30mm to the fusealage isn't going to bring down a bomber. However, a 30mm to the cockpit is a sure kill.

Just some thoughts....

Patches
"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

Offline kil0

• Zinc Member
More rubber bullets...
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 03:51:44 AM »
bombers have taken bigger hits than that and kept going in real life

Offline Zuum

• Gold Member
Re: Killing Bombers...
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 04:33:10 AM »
Originally posted by Patches1
Zuum...

Perhaps you saw machine gun hit sprites while the 30mm may have been falling short of target?

There are sprites of both types of guns. But You can easily distinguish those sprites of 30mm hits on vital parts of bomber. They are those "round fireballs".
MG hits look like simple "splash".
All in all, I dont expect MK108 to be a nuke but it is surely capable to do much more damage than it appears to do here...

Patches
-Yuri Gagarin was a fool. He travelled three times around the world  and returned to CCCP-

Offline Zuum

• Gold Member
More rubber bullets...
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 04:34:11 AM »
Originally posted by kil0
bombers have taken bigger hits than that and kept going in real life

Pls, read the fact sheet MK108.
That gun is not an ordinary 20mm cannon....

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
More rubber bullets...
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 01:37:22 PM »
Nice film.  Obviously, it's not that your guns are having no effect, the bombers are clearly beat up by the end of the film.  But I had Sudz pull out hit information to make sure some of the damage wasn't being lost.  

You landed 9 13mm hits and 14 30mm hits across 2 different bombers.  You destroyed all kinds of stuff on the planes but you just couldn't get enough damage concentrated into a critical component for the knockout and it ended up being one of those tales of a bomber soaking up ludicrous amounts of damage and still limping home.  That's a very lucky result for the bomber pilot but it should be possible for that to happen.

Offline Zuum

• Gold Member
More rubber bullets...
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 03:17:28 PM »
THX Pyro.
Next time I´m gonna throw a veggie-pizza with gorgonzola, sauerkraut and extra-garlic + cellar cheese  against the windshield of a bomber!
Dou You think, that would work?
:D
:aok

P.S. That bomber pilot was really, really lucky, according your analysis...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 04:31:20 PM by Zuum »

Offline BGgetmo

• Zinc Member
More rubber bullets...
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 07:45:48 AM »
That is the reason i only fire the 30mm while in the 109k, i know when the 30 hits my tgt. After 30 is gone, dmged, whatever, those 2 13mms will start a fire in concentration.