Author Topic: Mosquito  (Read 5648 times)

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Mosquito
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 11:36:21 AM »
Don't expect the mossie to be the legendary un-catchable plane. It was true in 1942, and will be reflected in MWA and special events, but in 1945 LWA it will still be middle of the pack in terms of deck speed. Currently, more mosquitoes die to stalls or spontaneous combustion that from a little loss of speed.

That said, 10 (?) extra mph gain from removing the dampeners will most certainly help.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
Mosquito
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2007, 12:46:31 PM »
Originally posted by bozon
Fixing the CoG and A6m's damage model is 90% of the performance boost it needs. Taking the exhaust dumpeners off is just the cherry on top.

:aok

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
Mosquito
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 03:41:51 PM »
Originally written by Adolf Galland in "The First and The Last"
A Special chapter was the fight against the Mosquito.  Britain had developed an all-purpose aircraft with an extraordinary performance, whose activities over Germany caused a lot of trouble.  The twin-engined de Havilland had a speed which none of our fighter planes could approach.  By day it flew on reconnaissance at high altitude, but it also performed bombing missions, and had a very precise bombsight called 'Oboe'.  It was also successful, at little cost, in nuisance raids at night.  Until we were able to send up the Me262 jet fighter planes we were practically powerless against the Mosquitoes.  Like their namesake, they became a plague to our Command and the population.  Our fighters could only catch up with them when we dived on them from a much greater height during an attack, temporarily achieving higher speed.  But as the Mosquitoes already flew at a great height this manoeuver could only be performed when the approach of the aircraft was discovered early enough and it could be passed on from one radar station to another.  Here were the difficulties: firstly, our radar network was by no means without gaps; and, secondly, the Mosquito was built of wood, so this little 'bird' only gave a very faint signal to our sets.  These were facts which one simply had to accept for the time being.  Anyhow, with this aircraft alone the German war industry could not be hit decisively; there was no danger that we might lose the war on account of the Mosquito.  It was for quite different reasons that Goring went mad about our inability to stop these raids.  In daytime they flew without loss and went wherever their mission took them; at night they chased the population out of their beds.  The latter, who were justifiably annoyed at this, started to grumble: "fatty can't even cope with a few silly Mosquitos".

Ignoring me, Goring recalled two experienced group leaders from the east and ordered them to clear up this daily nuisance one way or another.  Two strengthened squadrons were formed especially for this purpose, bombastically christened the 25th and 50th Fighter groups.  The aircraft were 'hotted up' by all sorts of tricks, and special methods of attack were worked out - without avail!  As far as i know, neither of these units ever shot down a Mosquito.  They were dissolved in the Autumn of 1943, and i was able to use the aircraft in the general defence of the Reich.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Mosquito
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2007, 08:02:57 AM »
Thanks furball. That was interesting.

Offline okiebob

• Zinc Member
Mosquito
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2007, 08:32:35 PM »
please remodle and give us variants..afterall it was probably the most veristile plane of the war.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Mosquito
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2007, 10:06:35 PM »
Nos postulo quist optimus varius proeliator est !!
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
Mosquito
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2007, 02:19:50 AM »
Hey look, Moot is so old he still speaks latin!

Lets all laugh at him.. :D

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
Mosquito
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2007, 05:09:59 AM »
:lol
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Mosquito
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2007, 05:41:12 AM »
VVVRRRRROOOOOOMMMM!!!!!    VVVVRRROOOMMMM!!!!!
FFFIIIXXX   MMMEEE!!!

Offline Martyn

• Nickel Member
Mosquito
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2007, 09:55:09 AM »
Bomber Mossies - yes please!
Here we are, living on top of a molten ball of rock, spinning around at a 1,000mph, orbiting a nuclear fireball and whizzing through space at half-a-million miles per hour. Most of us believe in super-beings which for some reason need to be praised for setting this up. This, apparently, is normal.

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
Mosquito
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2007, 02:20:56 PM »
mossie!!!!!

hopefully i'll have the net next year and i'll be able to get back to flying her.:)
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline republic

• Silver Member
Mosquito
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2007, 02:22:25 PM »
I had the 'insane plummet from the sky because of a messed up cog' death the other day.  Was really frustrating.  :(

Such an awesome plane....but in game it's like that crazy uncle that no one talks about...
P-47 pilot

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
Mosquito
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2007, 04:41:09 PM »
The 'Stop instantly and cartwheel out of the sky' cog bug?

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
Mosquito
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2007, 08:44:37 PM »
The air is too dirty for the mossie's beautiful curves.. so from time to time it'll have its revenge.

What we need is an equally martyred twin engined, punchy axis plane.. yes, you guessed right..
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Mosquito
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2007, 06:27:44 PM »
Another patch came and went - no changes to the mossie :(