Author Topic: Mosquito  (Read 5675 times)

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Mosquito
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2007, 06:25:14 AM »
The Mosquito is good for HO only if you have no wish to land it. You will likely obliterate the other guy, but a few hits from his guns are likely to hit the pilot or set you ablaze.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Martyn

• Nickel Member
Mosquito
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2007, 10:54:04 AM »
For a plane renowned for its robustness - that's always surprised me.
Here we are, living on top of a molten ball of rock, spinning around at a 1,000mph, orbiting a nuclear fireball and whizzing through space at half-a-million miles per hour. Most of us believe in super-beings which for some reason need to be praised for setting this up. This, apparently, is normal.

Offline KD303

• Copper Member
Mosquito
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2007, 07:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by Karnak
Video from a 1984 airshow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgijBdX-yPk&mode=related&search=

Sadly, this Mosquito crashed with the loss of both crew at an airshow in the 1990s.  It was the last flying Mosquito.

There are some projects out there to get one back in the air, but I don't know whow they are doing.

And a video with some cockpit shots in flight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofRMOrau9CI&mode=related&search=

And here is that sad moment, posted on youtube . It is not happy viewing.
Those of you who complain about the AH2 Mossie spinning out of the sky might find an explanation here.

.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag5ut3tP3ZM&mode=related&search=

Here's a link to AAIB's Accident Report. Interesting for Mossie/Merlin fans.

http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/cms_resources/dft_avsafety_pdf_501355.pdf

For those who can't be bothered reading the report, the Mosquito suffered a temporary loss of power to the left engine
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 07:56:30 AM by KD303 »

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Mosquito
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2007, 07:56:04 AM »
It is sad.

I wanted to say though looking at the earlier succesfull flight that the mossie reminds me somehow of the later Vulcan V bomber in its size with agility.

We really do need a viable example on AH. :(
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Mosquito
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2007, 04:31:47 AM »
Originally posted by KD303

Those of you who complain about the AH2 Mossie spinning out of the sky might find an explanation here.

Except our Mosquito does the same thing with both engines running?
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline KD303

• Copper Member
Mosquito
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2007, 06:49:42 AM »
True, it does. But the nature of the stall and spin themselves, were similar to what I've experienced in the AH Mossie. People often go on about how the mossie could fly almost as well on one engine as two - it wouldn't appear to be the case. OK, the one that crashed had a sudden engine failure while in a wingover maneouvre, but the way the aircraft stalled was pretty horrible (excuse the oxymoron).

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Mosquito
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2007, 09:58:57 AM »
KD303,

Not true, that stall is a low speed stall where one wing loses lift.  The AH Mossie can go into a flat fall from 400mph if you pull on the stick a bit hard.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Mosquito
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2007, 12:00:24 PM »
True, it does. But the nature of the stall and spin themselves, were similar to what I've experienced in the AH Mossie. People often go on about how the mossie could fly almost as well on one engine as two - it wouldn't appear to be the case. OK, the one that crashed had a sudden engine failure while in a wingover maneouvre, but the way the aircraft stalled was pretty horrible (excuse the oxymoron).

The aircraft was pretty much at minimum airspeed when the engine failed.  I doubt any twin would survive an engine failure at that speed at that altitude because of the asymmetric thrust.  If that pilot had a few more thousand feet i am sure he would have got out of it.

I have seen a Mosquito doing low level rolls with one engine feathered, and read of crews carrying on with their mission with one engine feathered with a full bomb load.

However, my favourite story regarding the Mosquito on one engine is when a B-26 pilot challenged a Mosquito pilot to a race.

A lightly-loaded Mosquito performed so well even with an engine out that pilots said DH had designed it as a single-engine aircraft, and added a second engine for good luck. According to one story, later in the war an incautious Yank pilot at the controls of a Martin B-26 Marauder, itself regarded as a fairly hot twin-engine aircraft, once challenged a Mosquito pilot to a race. The Mosquito left the B-26 in the dust, flying past inverted with one prop feathered.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline MstWntd

• Copper Member
Mosquito
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2007, 12:03:01 PM »
just a side note:
thank the load for a 2 engines mossie...had 6 kills in one and a flak shot my #2 engine out, and shot my #1 engine oil....landed with 20 secs of fuel to spare...

Offline KD303

• Copper Member
Mosquito
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2007, 07:53:08 AM »
Originally posted by Furball
The aircraft was pretty much at minimum airspeed when the engine failed.  I doubt any twin would survive an engine failure at that speed at that altitude because of the asymmetric thrust.  If that pilot had a few more thousand feet i am sure he would have got out of it. [/B]

Yeh, if he'd had the height, then surely he'd have recovered.
And yes, at the apex  of the wingover it was reckoned to be 140kts, so not much .

Karnak - I tried the maneouvre you mentioned, and I see what you mean. Been a while since I flew the Mossie. Hoping for an update...erm.

Still, I love Mossies!
I have a few pics (not scanned yet) of one (RS712) that was in my (sort of) local museum before it was sold off across the pond to USA, last I heard, she was in the EAA museum, Oshkosh. She was in the movies 633 squadron & Mosquito Squadron.She's a Mk35. Maybe someone has some recent info?
Link to footage of the sad day (sad for Scotland anyway).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp0486rsaAM (I seem to have a thing about "links to sad Mosquito days".
BTW, the guy who took the footage - Bob Davidson, has some other interesting  vids from strathallan on YouTube, including the one Karnak posted above.

Strathallan was such a great little museum. It was a sad when they closed up and sold off the collection. Short sighted Royal Scottish Museums or the  British Museum should have bought the lot.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 08:40:54 AM by KD303 »

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
Mosquito
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2007, 04:39:27 PM »
RS712 is up in Oshkosh with Kermit Weeks - apparently unlikely to fly again.

http://www.mossie.org/RS712.htm
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline KD303

• Copper Member
Mosquito
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2007, 07:40:30 AM »
Thanks for the info Scherf.
Funny how she's in the markings of an Amiens Raid MkVI from 487 squadron. I'd have thought something from Bomber Command would have been more apt.
Still find it hard to understand why she didn't end up in East Fortune (National Museum of Flight, Scotland). Back then (1981), things were different over here with regards to protecting aircraft heritage. The museum did buy Strathallan's Fairchild Bolingbroke IVT (actually a Candian built Bristol Blenheim IV ) but it was no Mossie..
In contrast, when a Bristol Beaufighter TF.X (RD220) came up for sale in 2000, the museum raised the £190,000 asking price in two days.

Fairchild Bolingbroke IVT during restoration at East Fortune.

The museums Beaufighter - Nice.

Offline Martyn

• Nickel Member
Mosquito
« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2007, 06:06:46 AM »
Ooooh - love that Beau...
Here we are, living on top of a molten ball of rock, spinning around at a 1,000mph, orbiting a nuclear fireball and whizzing through space at half-a-million miles per hour. Most of us believe in super-beings which for some reason need to be praised for setting this up. This, apparently, is normal.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Mosquito
« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2007, 06:51:09 AM »
Still find it hard to understand why she didn't end up in East Fortune (National Museum of Flight, Scotland). Back then (1981), things were different over here with regards to protecting aircraft heritage. The museum did buy Strathallan's Fairchild Bolingbroke IVT (actually a Candian built Bristol Blenheim IV ) but it was no Mossie..
In contrast, when a Bristol Beaufighter TF.X (RD220) came up for sale in 2000, the museum raised the £190,000 asking price in two days.

The museums Beaufighter - Nice.

That is the Royal Air Force Museum's Beaufighter, not East Fortune's
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline balance1

• Copper Member
Mosquito
« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2007, 02:53:13 PM »
I'm a big american plane dweeb and bomber dweeb, but the mossie is one of the few brit birds I fly, I love it although I dont experience the stalls and chaos caused by the CoG issue mush at all, would love to have that fixed, also I'm all for and 100% back the bomber mossie, although I don't think it should have formations.
Just my 2 cents,
~Balance1

You know your a dweeb when you love flight sims so much, you believe you can do it better and go start your own flight sim company.