Author Topic: XP 64bit or 32?  (Read 300 times)

Offline DmdFiat

• Copper Member
      • AnticoElements.com
XP 64bit or 32?
« on: March 07, 2007, 02:27:58 PM »
I'm just wondering which version of XP to get. Is the 64bit good for anything for an advanced home user? I read somewhere that it can limit the amount of RAM managable. There are so many versions up for sale, it makes me dizzy.
Suggestions???

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
XP 64bit or 32?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 03:11:41 PM »
I would avoid the 64 bit version of any Windows OS.  They are poorly supported and cause more grief.  And they really do not buy you anything, other than some amount of grief.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline eh

• Copper Member
XP 64bit or 32?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 09:24:32 PM »
I agree fully with skuzzy. I have had WinXP 64 bit for over a year and it is a royal pain. Although Aces High will run fine on it, you will have trouble with peripherals, some install programs, and it does mysterious things at boot up causing random beeps (meaningless but REALLY annoying) over the past year and so on. I installed a second hard drive with 32 bit Windows XP over 6 months ago and it has been much better.

Translation of above: they can keep Vista for two more years or until they get it right.  Period.

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
XP 64bit or 32?
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 12:56:47 AM »
Originally posted by eh
Translation of above: they can keep Vista for two more years or until they get it right.  Period.

Like me, you'll be waiting an awful long time then :D

Cheers,
asw
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
XP 64bit or 32?
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 02:54:37 PM »
Unless you really require access to more than 3 or 4 gigabytes of RAM for your applications, I can really find no good reason for almost anyone to be running the 64-bit version of XP. Or vista, for that matter.

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171