Author Topic: Aces High II WORKS WITH LINUX!  (Read 3328 times)

Offline TheCage

• Copper Member
Aces High II WORKS WITH LINUX!
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2007, 05:46:00 PM »
This may become another solution within the next year..................

ReactOS

Works well, but doesn't support USB devices, or NTFS as of yet.  But is suppose to run all MS software once the operating system is completed.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 05:52:54 PM by TheCage »

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2007, 06:14:38 AM »
I think that wine rather will run every windows application on Linux/BSD/Mac OS X then ReacOS will be stable and mature enough in order to give a solution.

More then that who needs another Windows??? :confused: Even GPL-ed.
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline TheCage

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2007, 11:15:15 PM »
Originally posted by artik
I think that wine rather will run every windows application on Linux/BSD/Mac OS X then ReacOS will be stable and mature enough in order to give a solution.

More then that who needs another Windows??? :confused: Even GPL-ed.

Obviously you didn't read anything about the OS.   It's not a windows clone, but has the look and feel of Windows NT 4.    The ReactOS team works closely with the Wine team so that should give you a hint.    If you expecting a windows clone, ReactOS is not it, but it has the look and feel, plus installing it, using it, is about as easy as Windows.   My suspicions are that it is a form of Lynx with wine incorporated into the operating system.    My bet is it will be a really good option once it goes beta.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2007, 02:09:53 AM »
Originally posted by TheCage
Obviously you didn't read anything about the OS.   It's not a windows clone, but has the look and feel of Windows NT 4.    The ReactOS team works closely with the Wine team so that should give you a hint.    If you expecting a windows clone, ReactOS is not it, but it has the look and feel, plus installing it, using it, is about as easy as Windows.   My suspicions are that it is a form of Lynx with wine incorporated into the operating system.    My bet is it will be a really good option once it goes beta.

Argh I don't think I would like to use anything with the look and feel of NT4. Sounds horrible.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Nikitis

• Zinc Member
      • http://thenikitis.net
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2007, 10:58:28 AM »
I help out with the wine project in developing stuff on my free time.  I know some of the main developers and I can tell you that wine isn't working with ReactOS at all.  Wine develops for Wine only and they do not help out with other projects.  

Now Wine is open source so ReactOS maybe incorporating all that Wine has implemented and then taken their own spin on it.  Much like Cedega does, but spun in a different way.  But you can ask anyone that develops Wine and they will tell you that they do not work closely with anyone.  So please don't say ReactOS is working closely with Wine to boost the popularity of ReactOS.  Just say that ReactOS is a spin off of Wine that may turn out to be a good solution for some people.

I don't mean to jump on anyone, it just bugs me when I write code for a project and some corporation tries to come and say they are working with me, or other developers and they are not.

Offline TheCage

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2007, 09:07:02 PM »
No offense taken Nikitis.  :)   I am just saying what they say on their website. To quote them:

React Operating System

ReactOS® is an advanced free open source operating system providing a ground-up implementation of a Microsoft Windows® XP compatible operating system. ReactOS aims to achieve complete binary compatibility with both applications and device drivers meant for NT and XP operating systems, by using a similar architecture and providing a complete and equivalent public interface.

ReactOS is the most complete working model of a Windows® like operating system available. Consequently, working programmers will learn a great deal by studying ReactOS source code and even participating in ReactOS development.

ReactOS has and will continue to incorporating features from newer versions and sometimes even define the state of the art in operating system technology.

In short, ReactOS is aiming to run your applications and use your hardware, a free operating system for everyone!  

What is ReactOS?

ReactOS (short for React Operating System) is an open-source effort to develop a quality operating system that is compatible with Microsoft Windows applications and drivers.

Is ReactOS based on Microsoft® Windows®?

No! ReactOS consists only of GNU GPL (General Public License) and GPL compatible licensed source code.

Why ReactOS? Why clone Microsoft Windows?

First of all, ReactOS is not a clone of Windows. ReactOS is an operating system that is compatible with Microsoft Windows applications and drivers. Some of the reasons are the same as the reasons for developing Linux (an open-source UNIX clone)? In short, Linux is a great operating system, but it is not the answer for everybody. There are a lot of people that like Microsoft Windows, but are very frustrated with Microsoft's policies on various issues.

The 9x family of Microsoft Windows is based on DOS, and shares many of its weaknesses, which is the primary reason why Microsoft Windows has such a bad name. The Microsoft Windows NT family of Windows, however, has a solid design. Not everything is perfect, but without access to the source code, there is no way to fix it, so a compatible operating system must be built from the ground up.

Why don't you help develop Wine/Linux instead?

This is a very common FAQ, so it's placed in User FAQ also (and technical answer is given in Developer FAQ).

ReactOS works very closely with Wine, and thus both projects actually benefit from each other. We have several developers in both the WINE and ReactOS projects that work on cross-compatibility issues between the two projects.

It is our view that Linux + Wine can never be a full replacement for Microsoft(R) Windows(R). ReactOS has the potential for a much higher degree of compatibility - especially for Microsoft(R) Windows(R) drivers - which WINE does not address.

Like I said it's not a Windows clone, just a Windows like operating system.   From what I have seen on booting this operating system, it's basically a lynx like operating system.   Look and feel does not mean exactly like windows, but close enough that a windows user would feel right at home.:)   How ever it's their claim that they are working with developers of wine, not my claim.:D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 09:13:53 PM by TheCage »

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2007, 10:56:30 AM »
And with OS X, too :D

Carry on, WHOOT for Linux!

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2007, 10:58:53 PM »
Nikitis:

The next time I buy a laptop computer I want to make sure it runs well with LINUX and especially with Wine. My current laptop (HP Pavilion zv5000) has nVidia GeForce4 graphics and runs Beryl and wine and Cedega, but not well enough to support Aces High "Classic" or Aces High 2.

What are the most important factors to look for (where AH2 compatibility is paramount)? What is in your laptop?

Regards,

-Peabody-
("Dad")

Offline Sincraft

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2007, 08:26:01 AM »
TWO things will happen to Linux over the next several years.

1. Different versions will be more viable as an option vs windows to the average user.  At that point, you will find yourself paying approximately what you did for windows 95, for about the same level of support all around that windows 95 had. :)  

2. whenever M$ feels that any two Linux versions are capable of taking a foothold market share, they will make it so people can 'tinker' with certain versions of windows.  Probably making Windows XP open source to 'some' degree opening the flood gates to wash away the sins of Linux, pushing them eventually into the land of obscurity.   Eventually, anything that will remain will be gobbled up for the 'greater good' and there will still be an m$ tag on the box, and you WILL still be paying.

Offline Sincraft

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2007, 08:30:56 AM »
Originally posted by MrRiplEy[H]
It's a commercial work based on open source. No company will waste resources on a product that they deliver for free. Even if they give it away for free now, once a critical position on the market is established, it will turn commercial.

yea that was what I was trying to say in short. :)

Offline TheCage

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2007, 09:21:13 PM »
2. whenever M$ feels that any two Linux versions are capable of taking a foothold market share, they will make it so people can 'tinker' with certain versions of windows. Probably making Windows XP open source to 'some' degree opening the flood gates to wash away the sins of Linux, pushing them eventually into the land of obscurity. Eventually, anything that will remain will be gobbled up for the 'greater good' and there will still be an m$ tag on the box, and you WILL still be paying.

Actually just the opposite.   Do a web search and you'll find that MS is currently trying to put a end to open source Lynx.   Novel is the first one to fall under MS's mighty weight.   Since it is open source MS is looking into suing end users for a license to use Lynx.   Right now they are only concerned with large companies that are currently using Lynx.   How ever MS claims that there are over 200 infringement rights that are being violated.  It's sorta along the lines what the music industry did.   Only time will tell if MS wins out in the end or not.  Personally I hope they get there prettythang handed to them on a silver platter.

Offline Nikitis

• Zinc Member
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2007, 09:43:12 PM »
I personally work for Novell.  And Bbosen can confirm this.  

Novell is actually still on the side of Linux,  They are actually going after Microsoft and in a vicious way.  Novell needed a way to take linux into a business setting.  As of now Microsoft has been creaming the Enterprise market with the Windows Server series.  

As part of the Microsoft Novell deal, Microsoft has to give away Free $50 licenses of SuSE Linux Enterprise Server.  Lots of them.  It is killing Microsoft's Market share especially at a time when Windows Vista is not doing so well.  What better way to kill the market share of a company than to have the company give away free copies of it's competitors OS.  I work as Technical Support for SuSE Linux.  And they pay big bucks for my services.  More than the usual Tech Support.  Novell has opened the way for Linux to start taking over the Enterprise world.  

If you don't believe me, Linux has always had trouble moving into the Enterprise world.  Just take at look at the recent news on Slashdot.org where Dell refuses to sell Ubuntu for example for business'.  Companies like Dell do not believe that Ubuntu is a viable option for Enterprise or any other Linux for that matter.  But heads are turning towards SuSE.   I'm not saying at all that SuSE is the best Linux out there, but they are best situated for Enterprise.  

Red Hat has had a market share for Enterprise, but is stagnant.  There isn't any growth with them.  The business model needs to be tweaked a little.  Novell is a company out to make money.  And yes they are using SuSE to do so.  And what's wrong with Linux being used as a business model?  You can still obtain Linux for free, and always will be able to.  And they hurt Microsoft's marketshare in the process, which is something most of us want.  

And Microsoft is just using patent infringment as a scare tactic.  It doesn't really exist which is why Microsoft hasn't sued anyone over it.  They are just threats that will never be realized.  Novell knows this, and is not the reason they did the deal.  So really Microsoft is feeling Novell's weight right now.

Just take my word on it,  This Microsoft-Novell deal is good for Linux.  People just aren't realizing it yet.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 09:55:16 PM by Nikitis »

Offline Nikitis

• Zinc Member
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2007, 09:53:14 PM »
To BBosen:

For a good Linux Laptop.  Dell has been selling good laptops that support Linux Operating Systems as of late.  

I recommend:
Processors: Intel

Graphics Card: NVIDIA Always!  Doesn't matter what kind.  Nvidia supports Linux.  ATI as of this writting does not fully support Linux as well as it should.  HOWEVER.  There is a rumor that AMD (who owns ATI now)  May be open sourcing their drivers soon.  THIS IS JUST A RUMOR, but it has a little more likelyhood than most rumors.  Even if ATI open sources drivers, it will be awhile before they work well with Linux.  So go NVIDIA  (Also Linux is pure opengl, and ATI's version of OpenGL is emulated.  Loss of framerates)  NVIDIA has OpenGL support built in to the cards.

The rest of the hardware should have intel chipset and Linux should support it alright.  Getting the Nice hardware that there is a lot of in the world will increase the likelyhood that Linux will support it. (Which is always a good rule of thumb with Linux)  If people have it, they will write drivers for it if there is no support.

So with everything else.  Go ahead and get it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 10:05:29 PM by Nikitis »

Offline Nikitis

• Zinc Member
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2007, 10:04:07 PM »
To TheCage:

No offense taken.  I did read your quote about ReactOS, and I realize that they said that.  However.  I went to ask key members of the Wine Team just to clarify and they said that ReactOS uses Wine code, but does so on their own accord.  No member of the Wine team has or ever will work with ReactOS developers on their project.  That was a direct quote.  

So I'm just saying that ReactOS is misleading everyone by saying that they are working closely with the Wine project.  So just for clarification, that quote is false.  Nothing against you.  Just ReactOS.

Offline TheCage

• Copper Member
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2007, 08:55:04 PM »
Nikitis no offense taken.   This has been a friendly discussion, and not a flame fest.   Good information about Lynx though, thank you for all that information. :D :aok
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 08:57:25 PM by TheCage »