Author Topic: Aces High II WORKS WITH LINUX!  (Read 3312 times)

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
Aces High II WORKS WITH LINUX!
« on: March 08, 2007, 06:56:30 PM »
Be it known unto all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, unto whom this message shall come: That I, through the grace of my future son-in-law, have seen Aces High II running under LINUX, and it is marvelous in my eyes! And I also testify that I have felt and tested the flight response with my own hands, and verily it is true.

As it is written "by the testimony of two or three witnesses shall every word be established", I provide herewith links to two digital movies:

http://techvideoreview.com/FlightSimMovies/AcesHigh/Linux/MOV06224.MPG

http://techvideoreview.com/FlightSimMovies/AcesHigh/Linux/MOV06225.MPG

At Last! we can be freed from the tyranny that has heretofore bound us to the evil empire! Let the celebrations begin!

In recognition of this great event, I propose that my future son-in-law Ryan Waters be Sainted, Knighted, and that shrines to his memory be built throughout the land.

Ryan was using a recently updated copy of Fedora LINUX. Three months ago this could not support AH2, but in the interim, a lot of progress has been made with DirectX emulation under both "Wine" and "Cedega". He got it working with both DirectX emulators. With "Wine", he had to use the latest, experimental "hack" drivers (which are not yet well supported). With "Cedega", he used the current production software. Joystick, numeric keypad, and sound support all worked reasonably, and framerate was good on his laptop computer.

-Peabody-

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 08:32:48 PM »
WTG

Framerate of 41 on a laptop aint too shabby.

Was that online or offline?
And have you tried it in the MA yet?
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 09:37:34 PM »
I saw him fly for about an hour in free H2H. He's a newbie, but he did all right, and his LINUX/AH2 rig ran well. We used native AH2 mapping to map the joystick, because we didn't want to diddle with Logitech's "Wingman Profiler" under Linux. In the brief time available, I couldn't figure out how to map the joystick's "Hat switch", but we were able to map all of the other joystick buttons and axes. Sound, framerate, flight model, and text radios all worked just fine. We didn't try AH voice (but he says he has TeamSpeak working).

Regards,

-Peabody-

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 11:10:51 PM »
Yay!  Ding Dong the Witch could be dead!

What's he like to drink?  I'll send him a bottle if we can get off this Windows Merry-go-round!

Hajo
- The Flying Circus -

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 10:38:58 AM »
PLEASE MORE INFORMATION...  :eek:

Please support - what wine patch was used - is wine good enough to run AH2?
Cadega - what version have you used? Was it strightforward to run AH2 or you need tweaks.
Does it works with all drivers - do you need special version of drivers (nVidia?)

If so I just go and purcache Cadega (last time I had tryed demo version it was unable to run AH2)...

More information and please - instructions how to run it!!!
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline Irwink!

• Nickel Member
      • http://msn.com
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 02:30:51 PM »
Yeah, more info would be appreciated. I did a half-hearted attempt to get it to run under Xandros Pro 4.1 via Crossover. It installed okay and even loaded up and started to run - then the game (not Xandros) didn't like the video drivers and told me to basically "come back and try again with the right video drivers". :cry

Offline blackdog68

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 02:34:23 PM »
You guys crack me up what you'll do to avoid MS.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 02:35:45 PM »
With Vista here... who wouldn't?

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 03:16:08 PM »
I'll try to get some more information from Ryan Waters. However, inasmuch as he's about to marry my daughter, he is quite busy (and preocuppied). We may all have to be patient.

I've purchased a new subscription to Cedega, but it's all new to me and I haven't got it working myself yet. Maybe Ryan can make it easy for me, but I don't know yet. If I get it figgered out, I'll publish instructions.

Regards,

-Peabody-

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 03:40:13 PM »
I'm sure your daughter is thrilled that you've introduced him to this time-sucking game :lol

Offline Irwink!

• Nickel Member
      • http://msn.com
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 04:22:28 PM »
Originally posted by blackdog68

I do most stuff with Windows, including the much feared Vista. But it is nice to know there's an alternative.

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 11:49:40 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty
I'm sure your daughter is thrilled that you've introduced him to this time-sucking game :lol

:rofl :rofl :rofl  I can laugh as my wife feels the same way...and again I say:rofl :rofl

Peace and Plenty,
                                                    Kevin

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007, 02:57:26 PM »
Originally posted by blackdog68

This is common misconception - Linux users do not hate MS, they like Linux and FOSS.

Linux is good because it is a way modern system and much better working environment then Windows.

For me running Windows is like flying P-40 in age of Mustangs... It is just too underpowered...

So if you have a way to prevent silly dual boot - it is very good. For example I have IL-2 that runs perfectly well under wine. So I do not have to leave comfortable working environment and boot to XP.

PLEASE INSTRUCTIONS :cry
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline F1Bomber

• Copper Member
      • http://www.bushtech.com.au
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2007, 09:27:40 PM »
Linux users just have a different value system. It is no worse or better than the value system of Windows users. Although, some value systems are better for a set group of people.

In regards to wine, its simply a emulation of the directX library. If you're getting better performance on linux using wine then their is somthing very seriously wrong with your driver installation on your windows box.

Offline Nikitis

• Zinc Member
      • http://thenikitis.net
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2007, 03:22:31 AM »
Right now Linux emulates somewhere about about 85% of the speed of true directx.  But it's getting better all the time.  That comes straight from the Dev's.  And if a program can run in OpenGL.  Wine will skip Directx Emulation altogether.  But AH2 uses directx only so it does emulate it.

LinuxAce