Author Topic: X52 Dead Stick Issue  (Read 363 times)

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
X52 Dead Stick Issue
« on: March 11, 2007, 03:17:39 PM »
Had it for almost 2 years now and a problem has returned that I thought I had gotten over.

During high input maneuvers, the stick ceases to function. The LED's on the stick start blinking at me, the throttle works fine and dandy but the stick is lost.

Now, the X52 is powered but through USB, not an external power supply. I have this theory that the PCU is not pumping enough power through the USB to power both the stick and the throttle (the power to the stick comes via the throttle - via  a PS2 cable) The whole system has got to be right on the cusp of how much power USB can deliver.

Does that sound right? Would a powered USB hub correct a power supply issue or should I upgrade the PCU?
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline Auger

• Nickel Member
      • AKs Home Page
X52 Dead Stick Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 04:39:16 PM »
Tinman, what else is plugged into the USB ports on the computer?  The total current that can be supplied to USB devices is limited.  So if you have a keyboard, mouse, joystick, throttle, printer, who knows what else all using USB, you may be right at the edge of what the motherboard and power supply can handle.  A powered USB hub will boost the available power, and will probably be cheaper than a new computer power supply. I'm running the CH HOTAS suite off of a D-Link powered USB 2.0 hub and haven't had any problems.

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
X52 Dead Stick Issue
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 09:07:24 PM »
Well, I tried a powered hub and my entire system crashed to reboot when I squeezed the trigger.

The only other things plugged in to USB are the receiver for my wireless mouse and keyboard and my rudder pedals (also Saitek).

I've only had the peds a short time. Perhaps these are what is causing the lack of power?
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
X52 Dead Stick Issue
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 01:18:12 AM »
Did you turn off power managment on the usb hub that the X-52 is connected to? If not go into device manager/usb root hubs / power managment/ and uncheck allow the system to turn this device off to save power ,or something like that . That might help . YMMV

Offline Auger

• Nickel Member
      • AKs Home Page
X52 Dead Stick Issue
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 03:16:46 PM »
Powered USB hubs often have a switch that allows them to work as both a powered and unpowered hub.  Make sure the switch is in the powered position. And make sure the hub's power supply is plugged in at both ends.

And yes, the addition of the pedals could be what put you over the top on USB power.