Author Topic: How can I improve my fr  (Read 403 times)

Offline Suave1

• Zinc Member
How can I improve my fr
« on: July 05, 2000, 05:52:00 PM »
I have a pIII 600mhz with a nvidia tnt2 vanta video card. My fr before I unistalled hi res terrain textures was around 11-16 . Now that have uninstalled highres terrain textures my fr has gone up to 18-22. People have told me that my fr should be much higher than this . How can I make it so ?

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
How can I improve my fr
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2000, 06:00:00 PM »
What screen size are you running?
This will make a huge difference in FPS also do you have Zbuffering enabled. Are you running in 16bit or 32bit?

This will help someone help ya faster and easier  

S!
Rocket

Offline Suave1

• Zinc Member
How can I improve my fr
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2000, 07:32:00 PM »
using 1024x768 in 32bit z-buffering is disabled .

Offline Baddawg

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dogfighter.com
How can I improve my fr
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2000, 07:59:00 PM »
It sounds to me that it might be possible that you have other programs running in the back ground. What are your system resources at?
My Computer/Control Panel/ System/Performance
Make sure hardware acceleration is at full

You should try to obtain  system resources  at approx 90% or better.
ICQ off
Virus off

Go Con Alt del and close anything  running thats  taking up resources

What drivers are you using for your video card?Make sure you are running the  best/latest drivers
Some of those original Diamond drivers that came  with the   card were real dogs

nvidia  Make sure your refresh rate on monitor is correct.
See if  desktop settings are  set at 32 bit as well,this  can  cause performance  problems ive heard if not the same as a game setting.
Double check settings in contol freak? I think is the name for  tnt 2 cards control settings, change one thing at a time and see if you get any fps change.

My system PII350 with a lowly Geforce 256 card which is only  slightly better   than a tnt2 ultra and i see fps in 50s up with alt and average around 35- 41 fps at 1240 x1024
32 bit.
Good luck

------------------
Aces High Correspondent for  www.dogfighter.com

[This message has been edited by Baddawg (edited 07-05-2000).]

Offline kbman

• Copper Member
How can I improve my fr
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2000, 08:33:00 PM »
Hi suave,
         Ithink that it's the card itself which is holding you back. If I'm not mistaken, your Vanta TNTII is a M64 card.
This designation denotes a card with a 64bit data bus instead of the 128bit pipeline of a "true" TNTII. These cards are hamstrung by design and area real scam IMHO and have caught many a buyer unaware. Check forany documentation that came with itor look in the regisrty to be sure.If it is a M64 card then it'stime to start looking for another card.   There isvirtually nothing you can do to make it run faster, they dont even perform as well as a TNT I. Sorrytobe the bearer of bad news.

kbman

BTW, if it isn't a M64 then read my post in the H&S Forum titled : Performance and the V770 Ultra. That should give you some ideas about where to start to improve performance.  

[This message has been edited by kbman (edited 07-05-2000).]

Offline kbman

• Copper Member
How can I improve my fr
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2000, 03:16:00 AM »
Hi suave,
         It's a pain to find in the registry actually.System Information is little easier,
Go to Start/Programs/Accessories/System tools/System Information and check the components/display heading.Or type Msinfo32 in the run dialog box,same thing. That should give you the complete name and all pertanent info.
Letme know whatyou find.Good luck!!

kbman

[This message has been edited by kbman (edited 07-07-2000).]

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
How can I improve my fr
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2000, 09:23:00 AM »
Throw that Vanta away...
Nvidia shouldn't ever do that card anyway.
Works fine in office puter but sucks in games...
Get a geforce or cheaper tnt2 ultra.