Author Topic: Internet "Spike"  (Read 340 times)

Offline 1cemanVS

• Copper Member
Internet "Spike"
« on: March 13, 2007, 03:03:33 PM »
ok so i was playing till about 3-4am this morning, when iturned my pc off, came back online say 12 hours later, and im getting, it would seem like, bombarded by  data, usually if i leave my connection on all day, i receive maybe 200,000 bytes

but now im reaching over 500,000 in a couple of minutes, id guess it might be a hacker type, or something, ive run spy dot, and cleaned everything off there, but still does it, my whole internet is running slow as it feels like its being conjested with all this data its receiving

anyone have any ideas how to deal with this crap? really really frustrating when i come home and something is broken.... please help!

:aok

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Internet "Spike"
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 03:29:48 PM »
You could have inherited an IP address from a P2P user.  If this is the case, then it could take a couple of days for it to settle down.  You could try disconnecting from the ISP for a while and hope you get another IP address when you re-connect.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline 1cemanVS

• Copper Member
Internet "Spike"
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 03:50:22 PM »
heh this must be a record, i logged off for half an hour, came back on, and within 3 minutes ive received 20million bytes and rising stupidly fast and sent 400 thousand

my connection isnt fast enough to allow these sorts of data transfers, there must be someone seriously wrong? anyway i can check what im connected too or anything?

Offline RDRTrash

• Gold Member
Internet "Spike"
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 03:31:08 AM »
Bummer Dayz,

I wish I had a suggestion for you.  Did you try running more than one cleaner?  I've had advice from other IT Admins that not one spyware remover is the best, but it's best to run more than one.  Try AdAware in addition to the one you've already run.  

Do you have a firewall active?  Maybe also your OS Firewall?

I know that's only "training wheels" help.

Offline TracerX

• Gold Member
Internet "Spike"
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 11:14:32 AM »
That stinks.  At times like these, I just do a complete reinstall of the O/S.  It is a huge inconvienience, but it feels so much better when I am done.

Offline 1cemanVS

• Copper Member
Internet "Spike"
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 01:06:40 PM »
well in these situations i take a trip into town and spend £80 on a new adsl gateway from linksys, i think the issue was indeed some kind of hacking programme got hold of my static ip given when using my standard out of the box adsl modem supplied by my isp, which ive been using since my last linksys went bust, which is so basic, security wise, now i have reinstalled this new gateway its all back to normal, this linksys box is like fort knox by comparison :P

shame i missed the race, now im miles behind but some things cant be helped.

Offline Auger

• Nickel Member
      • AKs Home Page
Internet "Spike"
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 02:46:37 PM »
Quick question: Did you actually receive 20 MB, or is that how many packets came your way?  If you are transferring that much data, your computer may no longer be under your control.

Does anyone else use your computer?  Any file sharing programs running?

1cemanVS has the right idea.  A hardware gateway/firewall will prevent anything your computer didn't request from reaching it.  If you still see high volumes of traffic when the computer is behind a firewall, then something nasty is installed.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Internet "Spike"
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 07:03:04 PM »
Could always be the possibility that someone found an open port and connected to his computer as if it were a proxy server.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline 1cemanVS

• Copper Member
Internet "Spike"
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 08:41:21 AM »
Originally posted by Auger
Quick question: Did you actually receive 20 MB, or is that how many packets came your way?  If you are transferring that much data, your computer may no longer be under your control.

Does anyone else use your computer?  Any file sharing programs running?

1cemanVS has the right idea.  A hardware gateway/firewall will prevent anything your computer didn't request from reaching it.  If you still see high volumes of traffic when the computer is behind a firewall, then something nasty is installed.

this is it, i installed my new router, had it up and running, upon connecting i saw in the "connection summary" window that there was ALOT of data coming too and from my pc, but not actually making it through all the jazz on my router, which leads to the final, heartbreaking, conclusion that something is infecting a part of my system allowing something or someone to send/receive foreign data.

with the high volumes of traffic created by said problem it is near impossible for me to update anti-virus things, as my internet connection is iffy at best. Im at uni typing this now and this evening im going to take the plunge into a format C:, it was well overdue anyway and my conputer is a real mess either way :aok

lesson learnt, never connect to the internet using a naked, basic, adsl modem, no matter how bad the addiction :p

see you on the other side :confused: