Author Topic: Loss of members Idea  (Read 1527 times)

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Loss of members Idea
« on: March 14, 2007, 02:49:21 AM »
Xargos and I were talking about this, and he mentioned something kind of cool IMHO.

It has been brought up before about memorializing fallen AH members, and many ideas have come up, but I honestly think this the most original.

What about a "graveyard" near each HQ's as an object, separate from being in the tower / hangar / wherever?

As the separate object it would not need to be rendered "all the time", but if someone were to go visit the HQ and bail out, or drive a GV there they could visit said custom object on the map.

The whole question remains "who get's in the graveyard", and that is up to HTC to determine, and that is NOT an easy task, but it is an option I don't remember being brought up before.

Well that is just a thought I would be willing to support, and possibly not take up much game resources to deliver in the overall sense. I am sure there would be players willing to help "skin" the tile or whatever object.

I do honestly believe the loss of a player is a loss of a player, ALL are individuals and deserve the same respect. Each "tombstone" should be the same shape and size. There is no favoritism in AH, and never should be. A simple white block with text readable from a 20 yard distance would be fine, but the skinners would probably be able to make actual "stone" looking things with a better "graphic" if asked, heck I'd probably take a shot at it just to see if I could come up with something respectable.

The basic premise is something like Arlington Cemetery, simple, easy, and updatable. maybe even a bunch of blank ones ready for names, and all HTC has to do is add the names.

I dunno, just an option for what has been asked in a way before.

<> all
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
Loss of members Idea
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 05:02:01 AM »
macabre

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Loss of members Idea
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 07:09:58 AM »
Center of the map, near no particular field, tower or strat object.

Statue of a plane in flight.
On the base "For all who have fallen"

No names, just a place to remember those we have lost over the years.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Loss of members Idea
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 07:46:24 AM »
Some sort of a memorial wouldnt be a bad idea IMO

Pretty classy in fact
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Helm

• Nickel Member
Loss of members Idea
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 07:51:23 AM »
A fine idea...but way too much of a burden for the HTC staff ...I you wish to honor the fallen ...post it to your squads web site and direct folks there ...the game is NOT the place .......HTC would have to spemd lots of time reviewing who died? ...how well were they liked? ...  etc etc ....I would not want to be put in that possition...and neither would you ...what if somebody made up a hoax that somebody died?

....a nice idea on paper but not practial ....like i say make a 1st rate tribute on your squads web site ...and tell folks to visit it
XO of ^"^Nazgul^"^
Proudly serving since campaign #13
"No Rain?" ...."No Rainbow, baby!" ....Bootsey Collins 2009

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
Loss of members Idea
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 08:30:38 AM »
WW2OL had monuments in the centers of town. On certain ones bronxe plaques were affixed to them with a players name. It was pretty nice. Bit like Helm said, its the sick hoaxes that would ruin it.

~AoM~

Offline Connery

• Nickel Member
Loss of members Idea
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 08:31:48 AM »
How well a person was liked should not be a criteria for selection when someone has died and whether or not there should be a memorial to said person(s).

I am sure the Germans who lost families and friends during WWII wouldn't want a memorial for those that had killed their loved ones had they fallen too, and vice versa.

Nice idea, not sure how you would implement it.

Might be easier to have a seperate webpage somwhere with like a roll of honor it or something.

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
Loss of members Idea
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 08:57:30 AM »
Not a bad idea at all.I like it.Making an object like that is a 5 min work.

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
Loss of members Idea
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 01:19:26 PM »
I thought the memorial wall in say O'Club was a good idea.
"One-Eye"

Offline kamilyun

• Silver Member
Loss of members Idea
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 01:37:00 PM »
If there was to be one, I think it should be generic with no names.  

Given some of the recent events noted on this BB that were eventually proven untrue, there would have to be some proof submitted to HTC for a name to be listed.  People could also abuse the system just to get their handle up on the wall b/c they thought it was funny.  I don't think employees of HTC want to be verifying coroner's signature's on certificates of death.

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
Loss of members Idea
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 01:51:52 PM »
Maybe one of the trusted members of the AH community who knows something about law would be willing to take on the job of checking out the deaths.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
Loss of members Idea
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 02:18:15 PM »
A Chalkboard in the Oclub section on the clipboard would be better imo.  Easier to keep, easier to visit, easier to render.

Could even have user submitted brief details on the person that is listed.

Offline Angry Samoan

• Silver Member
Loss of members Idea
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 02:35:29 PM »
I thought Oclub was "off topic" sorry for my ignorance I was told not to go there cuz all the drinking an loose women.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Loss of members Idea
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2007, 02:36:04 PM »
Originally posted by 1ijac
I thought the memorial wall in say O'Club was a good idea.

good idea,but why not make it a topic itself,Fallen Friends, or sumtin...

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Loss of members Idea
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2007, 03:39:03 PM »
The O'club section in game, you monkeys. Not the tardfestforum.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech