Author Topic: Vista: Performance Hints and Tips  (Read 47237 times)

Offline Bear69

• Zinc Member
More vista issues?
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2007, 10:17:05 AM »
i've noticed 2 other things on my new machine.  On the login,  i have a ping rate foe the first 3 arenas only, nothing for the ones below that.  Also when changing rooms (hanger tower flight etc ) each graphic item is loading extremely slowly, yet i have MORE than enough memory available.  Any ideas as to why this is occuring?
Bear

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
Vista: Performance Hints and Tips
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2007, 08:21:03 PM »
has anyone had a problem with game frezzing up with the new vista.
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline TexInVa

• Nickel Member
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2007, 05:32:51 AM »
I have, but I've noticed that it only does it if the computer has been running for any long length of time. If I'm going to be flying AHII, I usually do it from a freshly booted system.

Vista Ultimate x64

Offline TexInVa

• Nickel Member
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2007, 07:43:19 PM »
OK, I fixed the freezes with the AMD dual-core optimizer (patch). It also got rid of my spinning or frozen clipboard.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2007, 05:55:11 AM »
Can anyone else confirm the AMD has updated the patch to work under Vista?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline TexInVa

• Nickel Member
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2007, 12:33:55 AM »
I don't think it was updated. It still has a date of 11/06.

At this moment, the only thing I can't seem to fix is the rudder on my x52. And I'm using the saitek beta drivers for that (tried to fix the rudder with the beta drivers). It seems that I've lost the scaling for the rudder. It's either full on or off. I've got my rudder mapped to my pedals on my steering wheel controller at the moment.

I would also like to point out that I had to disable AMD's "Cool -n- Quiet" in the bios to keep from warping.

Offline Snow 7744

• Zinc Member
Windows version
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2007, 02:20:08 PM »
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting back in combat flight sims online and just buit myself a decent computer.

Now the only question left is what operating system?

After reading your posts and so many post on other forums, it seems Vista is a don't touch. Sad because the system was built as vista ready. Here are some specs.

Asus M2N32-SLI Vista ready motherboard
4 gigs
AMD X2 6000+ CPU
2x XFX 8600 GT SLI 256MB DDR3
Enermax Infinity 720W
Thermaltake Black Kandalf Full tower

Then here comes the question.  Windows XP professional 32 or 64 bit.

My computer is equiped with 4gigs and I want to be sure it will use it all.  It seems that XP 32 bits is not using more than 3 to 3.5 gigs as per some posts here and in other places.  Is that true?  It is spec as good up to 4 gigs.

Please help so I can get off this issue and get back up here asap.

Thank you,

Snow 7744

Offline slopoke

• Zinc Member
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2007, 02:30:02 PM »
I just bought an HP m8124n
AMD athlon 64 X2 dual core
2942MB
32bit  Vista Ultimate OS
on board nvidia and realtek chipsets

I now know I should have gotten the intel chipset, too late.

After going throught the Vista hints for performance of the game,  updating drivers from driveragent.com, and running the game in win98 compatibility mode:

I get between 17 and 40 FPS
Minimizing AH and looking at task manager, CPU use is between 49% and 51 %  (KINDA LIKE NOT USING BOTH PROCESSORS)

Scuzzy,  what do you need (or what else should I look at) to diagnose my implimentation  (I loaded AH fresh from the AH website)

Can I load XP on this machine and do away with Vista?

HELP!

Slopoke

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2007, 02:44:35 PM »
Your onboard video chip is going to hamper performance in a big way.  

That system would run better under XP.  At least NVidia's drivers for XP are better than they are for Vista.  You would probably have to get the XP copy from HP.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Irwink!

• Nickel Member
      • http://msn.com
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2007, 04:49:51 PM »
Originally posted by slopoke
I just bought an HP m8124n
AMD athlon 64 X2 dual core
2942MB
32bit  Vista Ultimate OS
on board nvidia and realtek chipsets

I now know I should have gotten the intel chipset, too late.

After going throught the Vista hints for performance of the game,  updating drivers from driveragent.com, and running the game in win98 compatibility mode:

I get between 17 and 40 FPS
Minimizing AH and looking at task manager, CPU use is between 49% and 51 %  (KINDA LIKE NOT USING BOTH PROCESSORS)

Scuzzy,  what do you need (or what else should I look at) to diagnose my implimentation  (I loaded AH fresh from the AH website)

Can I load XP on this machine and do away with Vista?

HELP!

Slopoke

You'll run a fair chance of not being able to find XP drivers for some of your hardware if you opt to install XP. You really need to research that first with HP and then the various hardware manufacturers of your devices if HP is of no help.

Contrary to some of the stuff you'll read in the forums you can configure your machine to run AH2 very well under Vista. You're right, you'd have done better at this particular moment to have gone with Intel instead of AMD performance wise but your onboard video is probably the biggest hindrance to your machine's performance right now.

Offline Borsuk

• Zinc Member
      • 5th SFG SOAR Squad Website
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2007, 04:43:36 AM »
Vista 32 has the same limits memory wise as XP 32, the OS only actively uses about 3.3 GB of RAM the rest is used for drivers. I have 4 GB in my Tosh laptop with a NVidia Geoforce 7900 GO video card which has 256MB of dedicate ram and can also use 256 MB of system ram to give  512MB total. When running AH with textures etc preloaded in memory the AH in game system information tells me I have 540 MB video ram of which 5MB is in use and 1GB Ram avail with 107MB being used by the preloading.
I tried a clean install of Xp on a spare HDD and managed to get drivers for every component of my system except the sound card. The computer was running fine and a lot faster than under Vista. If I could get the sound card drivers I would have stuck with XP but alas I had to go back to Vista. I'm beginning to think that this OS is another of Microsoft's backwards improvements, like windows Millenium was. It appears to be XP with a few fancy bolt-ons and doesn't work any better than XP. Also getting Vista drivers for peripherals  that work correctly is also difficult as a lot of them are still in beta testing and some are seriously glitchy. My company IT supervisor has deleted Vista and reloaded 2 brand new HP laptops with Xp in the last week. Some of the programmes our engineers use were not Vista compatible and he was able to find Xp drivers for everything so you may be lucky with HP kit.
Borsuk
No job too small, no fee too large
"Anything I promise when drunk is sacred. Anthing I promise when sober may be reneged on" Harry Carey Jr.
5th SFG S.O.A.R.

Offline Sniv

• Zinc Member
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2007, 07:46:35 PM »
Update from an early adopter

Vista ,
Maybe the biggest boondoggle since millenium so far.

Just read that they were releasing service pack 1 in beta next month.
From my experience in the last 8 months it is still beta.

The only saving grace is that this is my home system and I am willing to tinker.

System is a
AMD64 x2 4600
2 gig ram
Asus A8N SLI
2x 7800 GT in SLI 163.44 beta drivers
Creative Audigy 4 card
3 Sata Disks of 150,250,400 gb

I am struck today reading a mickey soft blog about the release of this sp and the amusing fact that it is to correct problems that have occured.

The listing includes drivers ,software and a few other items .
I will list some of the things that I see,

Not to beat around the bush but for the last month to start this machine I would see the BSOD 3 times and bounce back to bios before something would click. In many cases there wasn't even a reference as to what has caused the problem.
After another auto update last week I saw that the error message was coming from an ata driver. When I checked the last ,drivers installed must have come from MS since they were dated late june.These are system drivers from the looks and the nvidia chipset drivers seem to hook into them.Go figure.This week another update a lo and behold no more crashing.

That is a simple example,other issues briefly seem to come from device drivers.Support? The answer is in a word  is None

You can see that I am up to a beta driver 164 from Nvidia, this number started at 50 something. Still they have what appears to most of the kinks out,more on this a bit later.It does look good though sometimes  and that some of the vaunted features are still dead ie AA

Creative......a big Foxtrot Union is what I seem to be getting from both CL and MS .According to creative most functions that were working on XP are now DNF. I am tempted to pull the card out and run my onboard realtek chip onboard.From what I understand it may mean that my machine might run faster. AS for CL they just released their ? driver which is supposed to give back certain functionality under specific games . BTW they will charge you $10 for this as well.

Other misses , I have a Sony DVD camera which will not function in USB connection to my PC Sony says it will not work.My pinnacle editing package is now onto another Verison since their version freakin 10 never worked and now I need version 11 for Vista and please pay $90 for the update and they do not support my older pinnacle pctv usb in Vista

(As I side note people I wince when I hear complaints about AH updates , my dear readers these are a spring morning breeze compared the hurricanes and tornado's  I have seen.)

The only bright point driver wise seems to be Saitek and TIR where they did put something out that worked, and if not they explained why the item wasn't working.

On to the software ,it is nice,and there are a lot of bells and whistles that make it seem like it is nice and behaved and that MS does care what things work and don't .That being said I will relate 1 problem of a few

I have window ultimate which had the Media center function built in.
When I first installed it last January it didn't work ,I could not connect my xbox 360 to it and it would shell out after 10 seconds .About 2 weeks later I received a notice that the problem was due to something in the Nvdia driver set and that an upgrade of the driver should solve the problem.
Presto it works .
This june my original 360 went RROD (red ring o death) so I went through the entire rma proceedure etc ,the replacement RROD'd after 3 hours of use and yet another showed up 3 weeks ago.
Guess what? The media center  program shells out after 30 seconds.
Here is the rub nowhere on any MS website have I found anything other than phone technical support to see what is causing this.I have even posted on the microsoft forums and I see others have had and are listing the same problem with the same error codes .
Now admittedly these MS sites are user run, but to be ignored as I see others posting the same as well  strikes me as almost a conspiracy of silence.
Further reading elsewhere seems to indicate that it may be a problem again with Nvidia drivers ,or it may be some warped DRM function checking my files, or it maybe the security of net frame or MS's own net defender that maybe causing it.
The real issue though is the total silence from MS on the issue .
MS provides a problem reports and solution menu for software bugs and it seems to me after a time that it is only there to delay me from going ballistic.
This is the exact opposite of the experience that I had with MS over XP,98,95 or dos 6.2 or 5.0. It seemed that they were more open on info than they are now.

Vista will I keep it ?
I think that I have gone this far I will .The above may seem critical and it is for reason , but there are something it seems to do well.

Is it really production ,no this is really beta even SP1 will still be beta.

Snivly

ps please excuse any typos since I an freehanding this .

Offline dadroz

• Zinc Member
Your m8124n
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2007, 03:14:01 PM »
Copy and paste your System Summary from msinfo32.exe, System Information; it might help direct us specifically as to Windows XP x64 compatability, information, support, etc...

Offline TARGUT

• Zinc Member
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2007, 12:38:44 AM »
Vista is crap! Bill should be kicked solidly in the place where it will do him the most good. I bought a new PC just to play AH with and I have not been able to play since. between lock-ups and this new "Don't move controls so rapidly" bug the game has become unplayable. I am now going to waste another $200 to buy XP and try again.
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Offline Wayout

• Silver Member
Vista and 3rd part software
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2007, 08:03:12 AM »
Originally posted by TARGUT
Vista is crap! Bill should be kicked solidly in the place where it will do him the most good. I bought a new PC just to play AH with and I have not been able to play since. between lock-ups and this new "Don't move controls so rapidly" bug the game has become unplayable.

I have Vista Home Premium on 2 computers (desktop and laptop) and I've had no problems playing AH on either.  I have intel duel core and 2GB ram on both. I have had problems but so far all the problems have been caused by 3rd party software, the worse of them being caused by the ATI video driver on the laptop (the laptop would not shut down properly).
  For most people the sky is the limit.  For a pilot the sky is home.