Author Topic: Help me with a definition  (Read 902 times)

Offline Shaky

• Nickel Member
Help me with a definition
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2007, 12:37:24 PM »
Originally posted by namvet
We usually just call them Republicans.

And yet another gold example of blatent hypocrisy.
Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2007, 01:15:28 PM »
Originally posted by BTW
nuns with mannequin legs?

"Les bigottes" ... Brel? :)
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2007, 01:29:37 PM »
Originally posted by Kieran
....This thread will head anywhere you make it Curval. I can't stop you. I'm hoping you take the high road.

passive/aggressive much?  yes.

Offline dread66

• Zinc Member
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2007, 02:19:38 PM »
A bigot is someone who is no longer willing to attempt civil discourse with another person that has suspended the requirement of reason in exchange for a mental placebo.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2007, 02:33:28 PM »
Im intolerent or words like progressive,tolerence,and political correctness.

I'm all for change, as long as it doesnt include me.

~AoM~

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2007, 03:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by Saintaw
"Les bigottes" ... Brel? :)

I think I'm the only one able to laught at this reference :)

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2007, 05:44:40 PM »
Well, there you go. That wasn't so bad, was it?

Many of you seem to see the same thing I see... overused words lose their punch. Couple that with the way these words are used (to end discussion) and you can see they completely lose all meaning and impact.

Honestly I don't care what I'm called- doesn't matter. It is difficult to carry on a conversation with someone if they pull the trump cards, because that usually locks the threads. That doesn't seem right.

I just wondered how many people could actually come up with a meaning for the word, and I guess I kinda wondered how many people couldn't survive one thread without taking a potshot. Sometimes I think I could start a thread with the header "THE" and someone would end up yelling "racist" or "bigot" before it was over. Maybe some day I'll try it.

I don't come here to listen to people agree with me... what's the point? I come here to hear a different viewpoint and discuss mine. I won't agree with many of you. So what? I don't know what I really believe until it's challenged, and that isn't gonna happen if I hang out with cronies that always nod heads when I speak. I suspect many of you feel the same way, even if you've never thought of it that way.

We're all big boys and girls; I don't think the names really "hurt" any of us. Using them to kill threads hurts us all.

Offline DYNAMITE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.texasaircav.com/
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2007, 06:41:57 PM »
I don't think using terms like bigot, or raciest is what gets threads locked...  I think its the derogatory / disrespectful language used to describe significant portions of the population that gets threads locked.  It just so happens that the use of these terms will garner the "bigot" response.

Just my $.02

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2007, 07:22:13 PM »
Originally posted by Kieran
Well, there you go. That wasn't so bad, was it?

Many of you seem to see the same thing I see... overused words lose their punch. Couple that with the way these words are used (to end discussion) and you can see they completely lose all meaning and impact.

Honestly I don't care what I'm called- doesn't matter. It is difficult to carry on a conversation with someone if they pull the trump cards, because that usually locks the threads. That doesn't seem right.

I just wondered how many people could actually come up with a meaning for the word, and I guess I kinda wondered how many people couldn't survive one thread without taking a potshot. Sometimes I think I could start a thread with the header "THE" and someone would end up yelling "racist" or "bigot" before it was over. Maybe some day I'll try it.

I don't come here to listen to people agree with me... what's the point? I come here to hear a different viewpoint and discuss mine. I won't agree with many of you. So what? I don't know what I really believe until it's challenged, and that isn't gonna happen if I hang out with cronies that always nod heads when I speak. I suspect many of you feel the same way, even if you've never thought of it that way.

We're all big boys and girls; I don't think the names really "hurt" any of us. Using them to kill threads hurts us all.

People seldom use words like "bigot" or "racist" or "hate speak" if rhetoric isn't involved.  What is "don't like" speak? Certainly not as malicious as "hate speak" I guess, but where would "don't like" end and "hate" start?

Its all rhetoric passed off as logic.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2007, 06:22:02 AM »
I guess I look at it like this; there are absolute viewpoints held by many people that are not going to change. Lazs likes guns, Thrawn won't spank his kids, I am religious. None of that is going to change. However, we can still exchange ideas so long as we stay in the boundaries and keep threads open.

Even if I don't agree with a person I like to hear what they have to say.

*Furious: "I knew Fatty. I flew with Fatty. Fatty was my friend. You, sir, are no Fatty." ;)

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2007, 07:45:28 AM »
Bigot is an abbreviation for Big-Idiot.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2007, 07:47:42 AM »
Originally posted by Saintaw
My french dictionary says this:

Saw - (malicious Saw)

What's black/white & red and crawls on the ground?

A wounded nun.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2007, 08:19:57 AM »
kieran... it is not just that it is an overused word... it is that it was never one that really had any meaning in any case.

I never put much stock in it as most never would think of using it on me and the ones who do are pretty much beneath my contempt anyway.   It is rare that someone I think highly of will use that word.

lazs

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2007, 09:03:22 AM »
Few people are truly stupid enough to be resumed by just "bigot".
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you