Author Topic: search for "P38 RPM bug" bug  (Read 195 times)

Offline JCLerch

• Copper Member
      • http://Lerch.no-ip.com/atm
search for "P38 RPM bug" bug
« on: March 18, 2007, 10:45:22 AM »
Well, I was going to search to see if this had been discussed, but I can't perform a search for anything with less than 4 letters in the search phrase.  

vBulletin Message
The search term you specified (P38) is under the minimum word length (4) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer.

If this term contains a wildcard, please make this term more specific.

I get the jist of the message, but perhaps certain keywords should be allowed?

Anyway, here's the question / bug.

• Cant control RPM on a single engine of a P38
  • One engine at idle vs one engine turned off makes a HUGE difference on drag from that engine.  

For instance,  I don't seem to be able to maintain level flight with one engine throttled back to low manifold pressure.  If I turn the engine off, the airframe twitches as the drag is suddenly decreased as the prop stops spinning  

I just find it odd that we get increased asymmetrical trust with one engine at low manifold pressure (throttle chopped) vs same engine with ignition turned off.  

Does turning of ignition (keyboard E) also feather the prop, and because I can't manually feather the prop (adjust RPM), this is the reason for the increased drag at low manifold pressure??

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 05:54:16 AM »
The same holds true for the 110.

Also, when only 1 engine is controlled you lose wep for that engine.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 09:40:04 AM »
I believe in the case of the P-38 that the prop feathers automatically when the engine is shut down.  If you notice on most/single in engine planes that if you turn the engine off with sufficient airpspeed the propellor will windmill till airspeed drops off.  However the prop on the P-38 never exhibits this behaviour.  

If I'm wrong someone please correct me.  It's been ages since I was deadstick in a single engine plane. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.