Author Topic: Recent frame rate degradation  (Read 1019 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Recent frame rate degradation
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2007, 04:08:54 PM »
Ok, then you are just looking at resource/performance issues, which can degrade if you keep adding more skins to the game.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2007, 06:24:31 PM »
But we haven't been adding more skins to the game in the past 6 months, which is when the performance has been getting worse. :t

Offline Modas

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2007, 07:34:04 AM »
just to chime in here...

I haven't been online for several weeks.  Flew last night in LW blue around A8 with a couple of squadie and had my framerates COMPLETELY bottom out for the first time ever.  Normally I'm in the 60-90 FPS and I was dropping as low as 3-4 at times.  My squaddie in the same are was experiencing the same thing.

I've checked my PC and don't have anything weird (that I'm aware of at this point).   A while back there was an issue with some squad nose art causing problems with frame rates...    Could this be the issue again?

Offline NOT

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2007, 10:11:09 AM »
I understand and agree with all Skuzzy has said, however, i too have been experiencing FR drops since this last patch. I have a 3.2 pentiumD, 3 gig ram installed, and a 7900gtx 512 VC. Before last patch would get steady 60FPS, even on the most crowded field with every strat burning. Now, if more than one set of troops are running, in big furballs, over TT etc. Ive also noticed if there are B17s in the area i get drops, the more buffs, the worse the hit.
Now, AH is the only game i see these performance hits in. BF2 will run with out a hitch, as will any other online MMRPG game i play. Now im not trying to be argumentative, it just seems like alot of people are having similar issues with AH alone.
just my $.02.

NOT

AKNOT

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2007, 01:07:46 PM »
NOT, it's really apples and oranges when comparing AH to other games unless you are comparing to another Flight Simulator.

But I agree. Something is affecting FPS in a negative way.

I have not had a chance to open my PC yet so I don't know if there are heat issues yet.

What I have heard from my Squad-mates is that they have seen the same issues over the last few weeks. I cannot say that this happened with the last patch as I am quite sure my system ran fine right after the last patch.

Skuzzy, so adding Skins to the game can impact resources? Is this a factor of to many files in the folder? How much RAM do you need to preload skins?

Offline Flatbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2007, 01:27:11 PM »
All too often when performance issues crop up the software is blamed. That's what I did, I was wrong.

After running Sandra I found that my CPU temp under load was getting way too hot. In AH under a high load the temp was raising to 80c+. I read that my 3.2g Northwood will throttle down at about 70c. That was my problem.
I opened up my case and cleaned everything and reseated my CPU heatsink with a new coating of grease. Now with 4Xaa and 1280 res with the 512 textures I'm getting max refresh frame rates most times with a 5-7 frame decrease in heavy load situations in AH.

Skuzzy, sorry for any inconvienience I created bit**ing about HTC's coading, the prob was obviously on my end.

P4 3.2g NWood
Intel D865PERL mb 400mhz FSB
1g pc3200 ram
6800gt oc'd to 411 core 1100 memory
SB x-Fi audio

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2007, 01:51:24 PM »
Dunt(tm) sweat it Flatbar.  Most people forget Aces High II is all about complex flight modeling.  And that single aspect alone will push a computer CPU harder than any other type of game.

My little 1.8Ghz P4 with an ATI8500 video card, at home runs the game very well and very smooth.  But I have tuned the game so that that little CPU is not resource starved.

How many of you have adjusted the distance slider in the graphics detail?  How many of you get Variance spikes?  Just try this.  Hit the default button in the graphics detail panel, then also disable skins.

Play the game for a bit and see if it makes a difference.
--

You cannot put enough RAM in your computer to preload and use all the skins anymore.  The best you can do is to hand select the skins you want to see, then preload those.  You still need at least 1GB of memory to be able to preload any skins at all.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com