Iran
« Reply #121 on: March 27, 2007, 08:00:41 AM »
Yeah! Let that be a lesson to them!

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Iran
« Reply #122 on: March 27, 2007, 08:11:06 AM »
Originally posted by Viking
It's known as the Napoleon complex. He feels weak and unimportant and is compensating by playing the warlord.

:rofl   I found out an interesting fact the other day.  Napolean was taller then most frenchmen.  He was actually rather tall for that day.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Hawco

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Iran
« Reply #123 on: March 27, 2007, 10:06:44 AM »
Originally posted by Viking
You saw a French-German weapon system that has been in production since the 1970's and is widely exported and was in use by Iraq long before the war ... and you take this as proof that the French were selling weapons to Iraq during the embargo? And the AT-3 Sagger is a 1960's era weapon. Deductive reasoning seems not to be your strongest suit sir.

Looks like I got the wrong end of the stick, didn't know we were talking about Iraq post 91, thought we were talking about what sort of weapons they had.
Sagger might be a 60's era weapon, but one day you should get on the wrong end of one and you'll find out that they work just fine.
Forgive my ignorance here, but what does deductive reasoning mean? Not being funny or a smart prettythang, just don't know what it means.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Iran
« Reply #124 on: March 27, 2007, 10:17:38 AM »

Observance of an event occurring on a repeated basis that leads one to believe that a certain probability is attached to the occurrence of that event. For example, if there are a red ball and a blue ball in a bag, and each color ball is drawn one-half of the time, we come to believe that each color ball has a one-half probability of being drawn at any one time.

deductive reasoning
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Hawco

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Iran
« Reply #125 on: March 27, 2007, 10:19:57 AM »
Originally posted by Saintaw
deductive reasoning

Cleared that one up then lol

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
Iran
« Reply #126 on: March 29, 2007, 07:41:49 AM »
Do you  guys see an happy ending to this british sailors arest crissis?
Watching them last evening on Tv, i see the same tactic used by dirty terorist groups in middle east, now is used by a govermet of a country with 70 milion peoples, humiliate them on TV, in front of  the world to achive politic or financiar goal,
 imop,the British  reaction was weak, in the last days, and the US noninvolvement look like a suspicious, abandon of the only nation that seriously helped that war

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Iran
« Reply #127 on: March 29, 2007, 08:08:34 AM »
it's too obvious, Iran is holding them hostage to have the sanctions against Iran eliminated.

as far as US involvment, the democratic congress is calling for bush to start withdrawing troops from Iraq in four months or they will cut off funding for the troops now.  Hard to get involved when you are running away.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 08:13:45 AM by john9001 »

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
Iran
« Reply #128 on: March 29, 2007, 10:09:53 AM »
MOD proved that it was Iraqi waters...

http://www.mod.uk

The Iranians first report stated that they also agreed it was in Iraqi waters, but then corrected themselves and said it was in Iranian waters.

Iranian demonstrators are now asking for the British to be executed.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1258238,00.html
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 10:12:56 AM by Ball »

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Iran
« Reply #129 on: March 29, 2007, 10:13:22 AM »
Clearly photoshopped by the eevEEEL UK MOD.

Allah knows the infidels were in sacred Iranian waters.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
Iran
« Reply #130 on: March 29, 2007, 10:19:51 AM »
Originally posted by ghi
imop,the British  reaction was weak, in the last days, and the US noninvolvement look like a suspicious, abandon of the only nation that seriously helped that war

Not a lot that can be done at the moment.  It is not a weak reaction, the British are doing as much politically as they can i think.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1258201,00.html

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Iran
« Reply #131 on: March 29, 2007, 10:52:44 AM »
Originally posted by Hawco
Looks like I got the wrong end of the stick, didn't know we were talking about Iraq post 91, thought we were talking about what sort of weapons they had.
Sagger might be a 60's era weapon, but one day you should get on the wrong end of one and you'll find out that they work just fine.

We were talking about the French allegedly selling Iraq weapons in violation of the UN embargo. Prior to 1991 it was perfectly legal for anyone to sell weapons to Iraq. Sorry to hear about your close call with the Sagger. Glad you made it.

Offline Hawco

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Iran
« Reply #132 on: March 29, 2007, 11:01:28 AM »
If old Teflon Tony had any sense, he would have the boys all ready to go in there, wouldn't suprise me one bit if they haven't got enough intel gathered already to and get them, in fact they probably have been practising this Just waiting for the order.
 there'sprobably a  small team already in place doing a close target recconisance already.

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
Iran
« Reply #133 on: March 29, 2007, 11:25:47 AM »
They are in the middle of Tehran.

No chance of getting them out with a small team.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
Iran
« Reply #134 on: March 29, 2007, 11:33:07 AM »
Originally posted by Hawco
If old Teflon Tony had any sense, he would have the boys all ready to go in there, wouldn't suprise me one bit if they haven't got enough intel gathered already to and get them, in fact they probably have been practising this Just waiting for the order.
 there'sprobably a  small team already in place doing a close target recconisance already.

Hawco,

Let's recast things a bit.  Pretend that for some reason the US nicked 15 British sailors.  Well, we know the English will want their sailors back.  Let's say, for right now, we're not going to give them back.

So we've got them tucked away under guard.

Also, pretend you're the boss of the operation and have all the resources England has to offer to help you rescue the sailors.  I'm sure you see where this is going.  Just how do you pull it off?

What would we do if some nation "invaded" us and rescued their soldiers?

And if you like, forget the US make believe snatch of the sailors.  Stick with Iran.  

To take them was an act of war, to rescue them will be an act of war.  Granted in either case it would not be equilivent to leveling major cities and/or rolling tanks across a border like a blitz.  But in some fashion, respecting national boundries in both cases goes by the wayside.

I don't know but that we watch too many movies where we "go get our guys."  Entebbe springs to mind and not much else.  I'm sure someone will fill in the blanks of my faulty memory.  And Grenada just doesn't count as an apt comparision.

I was in Washington DC in 1980 when Iran released the US hostages just minutes, hours, days before Regan took office with Alexander Haig as Sect'y of Defense.  I've forgotten the timeframe exactly.  I chalked it up to my guess that Iran didn't want to mess with General Haig.  I've no proof of that.  But that's how it seemed to me at the time.  Though I have no way of knowing if it be so, or if other methods the Carter administration had employed paid off.  And yes, I remember the botched rescue attempt too.

As to the comment, not just here, that the British response was "weak," other than writing off the sailors and attacking Iran -- in a little, med, or big way -- diplomacy, sanctions, public opprobrium abides as the only alternative.

Lastly, the Brits must be asking themselves some questions "is warring against Islam the best course of action?"  For that is how it will be "sold" to and by the radical nut jobs.  Also, what goes by "radical nut job over here" may be mainstream over there.  Iran is not a secular nation.

Another question would be, "shall we write off the 15 sailors?"  And we're back to a war v Islam, for it would be impossible to war just v Iran in the minds of many.  The list of nations brought into the mix were such an action taken would be significant.  Who would not be on the list?  Some nations, sure, but you get my drift.

The only reason to go "all in" is that the West may well have to do it anyway in the future when Islam may be stronger.  Though I can't see Islamic countries gaining that much military might to fight a conventional war and even coming close.  Also, I know you didn't advocate large scale military action, I'm just musing aloud.

I guess they could write off the sailors, bomb into oblivion some cities killing millions, bar all Muslims and middle easterners from entering England, and lob more bombs whenever Iran makes a peep publicly.  Not easy choices if you are hesitant to committing the sons of British mothers to all out war.

Then there's the oil.  All of it would be a conflagration like the world has yet to see.  My own personal wish is to shut them all up and make them play nice.  HAH!  Fat chance on that one.

Hopefully, you are correct!  There's a plan afoot to rescue them; and after it's all over, that operation will go down in history as textbook example of shrewed planning and execution.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 11:47:53 AM by Hap »