Author Topic: bring the Iron Dog to AH!  (Read 807 times)

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
bring the Iron Dog to AH!
« on: March 23, 2007, 09:06:08 PM »
After much thought and hand wringing I've decided that the best choice for the next AH aircraft is the P39.I will give my opinion of the other choices,and why I think they don't  match up.
A26....USA ain't hurting for bombers
Nippon fighter....Plenty of Japanese Fighters to pick from
G-55....hard time with this one,but P39 squeaked by
Yak3....enough Yaks,Mig better choice
PE2-TU-2....another tough one,but Ruski bombers not prominent in WWII
B25....see A26
ME410....110 is better choice as buff buster
Brewster Buffaalo....Please!next will be Whirraway or Bolton Paul Defiant
HE 111....Buffers what you flying B17,Lanc, B24 or HE111?
P39 is probably the best choice.If it is the winner,the FM should be fun to figure out.P39 wasn't preffered amongst most pilots ...least Americans..was a beast to fly,and GIs couldn't get shed of it fast enough,so they could get in their nice new P51s,P38s,and Jugs!
IronDog

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: bring the Iron Dog to AH!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 09:22:45 PM »
Originally posted by IronDog

Actually, the Pe-2 was used a lot.  Russia built 11,427 of them.

I'm not arguing against the P-39, by the way -- I'd be happy to see that one added, too.  There were 9529 of them produced.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 09:35:17 PM »
I say add them all.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 10:32:28 PM »
Depending on what the gun package options are, It will probably be used for Buff-busting(It does pack a 37mm cannon in the hub, plus 2 .50's and 4 .30's). Lotta gun power, for sure.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 10:39:53 PM »
Originally posted by Saxman
I say add them all.

Seconded. Once they're all in, we can start campaigning for everything else that served in the war. That should pretty well take care of things.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline quintv

• Copper Member
Re: bring the Iron Dog to AH!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 10:51:01 PM »
After much thought and hand wringing I've decided that the best choice for the next AH aircraft is the P39.I will give my opinion of the other choices,and why I think they don't  match up.
A26....USA ain't hurting for bombers
Nippon fighter....Plenty of Japanese Fighters to pick from
G-55....hard time with this one,but P39 squeaked by
Yak3....enough Yaks,Mig better choice
B25....see A26
ME410....110 is better choice as buff buster
Brewster Buffaalo....Please!next will be Whirraway or Bolton Paul Defiant
HE 111....Buffers what you flying B17,Lanc, B24 or HE111?
P39 is probably the best choice.If it is the winner,the FM should be fun to figure out.P39 wasn't preffered amongst most pilots ...least Americans..was a beast to fly,and GIs couldn't get shed of it fast enough,so they could get in their nice new P51s,P38s,and Jugs!
IronDog

If my 8 year old sister watched history channel for two weeks and then ate lead paint chips after being dropped head first into a pool of glass shards while being blinded in both eyes by an angry cobra; her opinions on these planes  would probably sound something like this.

Offline Fianna

• Nickel Member
Re: Re: bring the Iron Dog to AH!
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 11:29:45 PM »
Originally posted by quintv
If my 8 year old sister watched history channel for two weeks and then ate lead paint chips after being dropped head first into a pool of glass shards while being blinded in both eyes by an angry cobra; her opinions on these planes  would probably sound something like this.

And why exactly did you need to post that?

Offline Booz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 11:40:04 PM »
Scenarios and Events is what this game is really about. MA is practice, and if you're still trying to HO with a Hurricane, you'll never get it.

Add the HE-111 and Betty before anything, just for pure numbers representation. What PTO or ETO operation didn't see an HE-111 or Betty?

P-39 for men to fly also.

Offline eilif

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 03:00:14 AM »
Scenarios and Events is what this game is really about. MA is practice, and if you're still trying to HO with a Hurricane, you'll never get it.

Thats my mentality as well:cool:

The p39s i have flown in sims have always been pretty solid ac if flown right, and in historical settings. Great against early Japanes aircraft.

one of the largest drawbacks of the real p39 was that its 37mm was notoriusly un-reliable, jamming all the time.  Most sims dont model gun jams so this problem is not an issue.

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 08:38:13 AM »
quintv...was just trying to give my thoughts on planes being offered as possibilites to plane set.I was hoping to do so without being attacked.Just nice decent comments about the planes offered.It was tough because I like some things about all of them.If I offended you by not making right choice,I'm sorry.Brooke,I don't think P39 would make very good buff buster,since they pulled the superchargers out of them,and they didn't do well over 17k.Well they could go after all the buffs that choose to come in low I guess.
IronDog

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
Re: Re: bring the Iron Dog to AH!
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 09:44:47 AM »
Originally posted by quintv

Bah.

Offline Dace

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 09:55:34 AM »
As much as I would love to see the P-39 in the set and as as we need it in the set, there are others from that list that need to come first. You say there are enough Japanese fighters in the game, there are 5. But you want to add another American fighter when there are already 18 of em'? Your logic dosent make sense there.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 09:58:43 AM »
Originally posted by Dace
As much as I would love to see the P-39 in the set and as as we need it in the set, there are others from that list that need to come first. You say there are enough Japanese fighters in the game, there are 5. But you want to add another American fighter when there are already 18 of em'? Your logic dosent make sense there.

Because thats not the only hole it fills.
P-39 also fills Russian set.

Lets see a Japanese plane do that.

P-39 = More bang for the modeling $.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2007, 09:59:53 AM »
Dace your right.Why one plane,lets have um all!Back when AH first started seems like planes came along at a nice rate,now we have to a long time for one chinzy new ride.Come HT give us more!
IronDog

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2007, 03:36:52 PM »
Brooke,I don't think P39 would make very good buff buster,since they pulled the superchargers out of them,and they didn't do well over 17k.Well they could go after all the buffs that choose to come in low I guess.
IronDog

I don't know what the P-39 would be best at.  I don't know if it would be flown much in the MA, but it depends on the flight model, I suppose.  My preference would be for HTC to add planes in order of their prevalence in WWII (thus numbers produced) and to round out plane sets for scenarios.

For all of the planes Pyro listed, the ones that qualify best in that regard in my opinion are:

Pe-2, 11427 produced, rounds out Russian plane set
He 111, 7300 produced, important for the BoB scenario, a staple of the scenario set
B-25, 9186 produced, the main US medium bomber
Ki-43, 5919 produced, the main IJAAF fighter

and

P-39, 9579 produced, important US fighter *and* important Russian fighter