Author Topic: Joystick setup problem  (Read 338 times)

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Joystick setup problem
« on: October 26, 2001, 02:20:00 PM »
Got a bit of a unique problem.

I just got a new USB stick. In order to get it to work with the old stuff I have, I've had to use two sticks; one for the USB, then the old setup for throttle and pedals.

My setup: stick 1 is a CH Fighterstick non usb, on GC3 gameport (CH gameport thingy). This stick has the throttle and pedals attached to it. Stick 2 is the new CH Fighterstick USB.

Stick 1:
CH Fighterstick (non-usb)
CH Throttle (non-usb)
Simped pedals (non-usb)

Stick 2:
Ch Fighterstick USB

Now, in AH I have roll and pitch on the stick 2 (USB), and throttle + rudder on stick 2 (non-USB). Unfortunately, the rudders are quite old now, and the potentiometers are probably a bit worn out. Am looking into getting new ones. So, they're a bit spikey.

So I tried upping the deadband to avoid spikes when not using the rudders, and dampening to make sure the spikes aren't too noticeable.

This does nothing. It affects the rudders in no way. Same deadband as default, same dampening. Tried to adjust for throttle, same thing.

It works on the x and y axis of the USb stick, no problem.

Hope someone has some ideas. maybe edit the stick cfg file, but I dunno what the different values represent.

The most annoying thing is that the rudder spikes when I ain't touching them. VERY noticeable in the 109. If I cannot get the dampening/deadband going, and new pots won't do it, I'll have to see if I can get money to buy new rudders, and with my current economical situation, that's a bit unlikely.

Thanks in advance.

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
Joystick setup problem
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2001, 03:39:00 PM »
Ok I understand how you have your rig setup . That said ,, Simped pedals > don't have pots , it's a magnet I believe . I sold my set to HBlair , the magnet can move and mess up the center or the wiring can be bad . E mail Deiter Hoffman Santa , he will tell you what you need , he sent me a wiring harness but it was the magnet that had moved in shipping .

Pull the backing off them pedals ( little cardboard backing plate I think )and see if that magnet is in the correct place .

take care
spro
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline sydney

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.jambock.com
Joystick setup problem
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2001, 06:55:00 PM »
I understand you wanna mix USB and non-USB sticks?

Does not work :-( I would love to have a set up like that mixing... gonna replave all my CH stuff for USBs.

I'll put the email I exchange w/ CH tech guy:
At 10:08 PM 10/8/01 -0300, you wrote:

>Mr Michael,
>
>     I decided to buy a brand new set of CH Pro Throttle USB, F-16
>Fighterstick USB and CH Pro Pedals USB but I realy want to be sure of
>windows 2000 compatibility with their control manager.
>
>     In the PC USB FILES page the USB Contro Manager is not listed as windows
>2000 compatible.
>
>     Do you know if the stick and throttle USB will work w/ a Pro Pedals in
>the gameport?
>
>     Tks in advance and all the best!
>
> >

Sir,
         You cannot mix game port and USB.  The Windows 2000 version of the
Control Manager should be released pre Christmas 2001.

http://www.chproducts.com
Tech phone: (760) 598-2518
Tech email: michael@chproducts.com
AOL Screen Name: MichaelCHprod (for fast IM support)
Knowledge Base: http://www.chproducts.com/fom/cache/3.html
Software Downloads: http://www.chproducts.com/support

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Joystick setup problem
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2001, 07:19:00 PM »
Oh you can mix 'em in Aces High.

Just use yer old stuff as one stick, and your new stuff as another.

Then tell AH that you want some input from old, some input from new.

It works for me. The rudders are acting wrid: now I can put dampening and so forth on, but they seem to be jammed at a 10-15 degree angle to the left, making aiming and shooting rather hard.

Throttle (analogue) works fine, rudders calibrate fine as well.

Thanks for tips on the magnet thing - the metal plates that are visible if you push the rudder have big rifts in them from wear, that  might contribute to the problem. Will email Hoffman Electronics  :).

If I cannot solve it, I can just hope that I can find the cash for some USB ones.