Author Topic: New Model Armament Options Q's for Pyro  (Read 1647 times)

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
New Model Armament Options Q's for Pyro
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2007, 04:42:52 PM »
I haven't researched a lot of that enough to have an informed opinion much less already have a decision made(that includes the 410 contrary to popular rumor).  I have to be carefully consider things when it comes to something that is very rare, very powerful, or very difficult to model or get coded into the game.  On the B-25G or H, I've been there done that in another game and think that would be a fun and worthy addition to AH.  A perk ordnance system looms out there in the indefinite future and that would certainly give me more leeway to put in more exotic stuff without having it run amok or eat up extra plane slots.  I almost never say never, an exception to that is an atomic bomb.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2007, 04:54:20 PM »
Okay, was hoping that you'd secretly completed the Perk Ord system and would sneak it into the next update. Also, I didn't want to be voting for the 410 if it only comes with 2 20s, 2 mgs, and bombs, or for a plain B-25. I would guess that's the case with a lot of folks, but I speak only for myself.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2007, 05:13:30 PM »
LOL Ball, that's why I said Furb , I had'nt seen you in the thread yet, I figured you knew I'd meant Hubs :aok

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2007, 06:18:08 PM »
Originally posted by Pyro
I haven't researched a lot of that enough to have an informed opinion much less already have a decision made(that includes the 410 contrary to popular rumor).  I have to be carefully consider things when it comes to something that is very rare, very powerful, or very difficult to model or get coded into the game.  On the B-25G or H, I've been there done that in another game and think that would be a fun and worthy addition to AH.  A perk ordnance system looms out there in the indefinite future and that would certainly give me more leeway to put in more exotic stuff without having it run amok or eat up extra plane slots.  I almost never say never, an exception to that is an atomic bomb.
But I need a nookie!#!@#!:cry
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2007, 10:35:42 PM »
Originally posted by Bronk
While it probably could 1 shot buffs.
Getting to alt and avoiding fighters will make getting into that position difficult.

Bronk

B-25 has more problems here than just altitude (with a 25,000 feet service ceiling) and avoiding fighters if trying to hunts buffs.  It's slower than both the B-26 and B-24 and has the worse climb rate of the three (790 ft/min).  A B-25 is going to have serious trouble generating an intercept of other bombers in order to take that one shot with the spud gun.

If the 75mm is like the early one in the Block-5 A-26's, you can't be maneuvering hard to reload, and reload times could be between 4-6 seconds (at best), between shots, and you'll have 20 rounds for the 75mm on-board in racks.

Offline JAWS2003

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2007, 11:34:28 PM »
Yeah but if you hit the mid bomber with one of those papayas, the drones may blow up too. So i think is worth a try.:t

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2007, 01:19:13 AM »
Yep.. a wgr21 hit on a tight formation's middle plane will have all three in pieces.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2007, 01:21:00 AM »
If were talking big gun options on B25 I would like this added to the mossie also as a perk option

"FB.XVIII Fighter bomber. The 'Tsetse'. Developed from the FB.VI with the nose modified to take a six-pounder (57mm) anti-tank gun instead of the four 20mm cannon. The six-pounder could fire 25 shells in 20 seconds. Merlin 25 engines. Used mainly by Coastal Command against submarines and shipping."
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 01:25:01 AM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Laurie

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2007, 04:44:54 PM »
Originally posted by Bruv119
If were talking big gun options on B25 I would like this added to the mossie also as a perk option

"FB.XVIII Fighter bomber. The 'Tsetse'. Developed from the FB.VI with the nose modified to take a six-pounder (57mm) anti-tank gun instead of the four 20mm cannon. The six-pounder could fire 25 shells in 20 seconds. Merlin 25 engines. Used mainly by Coastal Command against submarines and shipping."

:t :O :O :D

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2007, 06:33:16 PM »
Originally posted by tedrbr
Many later removed the 75mm from the B-25 in place of additional .50's

The 75-mm T13E1 cannon wasn't removed.  When it was determined that the B-25H wasn't as effective as thought and didn't provide any advantage over specially adapted strafers the use of the heavy cannon was generally abanonded in the SWP by August of '44.  By September '44, the B-25Hs were either transferred to the 38th BG which wanted the B-25H to replace their B-25Gs or were returned to depots.

24 B-25Hs were taken on strength by the 11th Bombardment Squadron of the Fourteenth Air Force for interdiction work in China in early 1944.  The 341st Bombardment Group also received B-25Hs in 1945, some of them serving there until the end of the war. The 1st Air Commando Group assigned to Burma was also provided with the B-25H.  Some of the AF units in the CBI received  the new APG-13A radar ranging equipment for use with the 75-mm cannon. This enabled the precise range to a target to be determined at all times during an attacking run, making precise aiming much simpler.

If we do have the B-25H, it should also come without the co-pilot seat as it was eliminated from that version.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2007, 07:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
If we do have the B-25H, it should also come without the co-pilot seat as it was eliminated from that version.
ack-ack

Actually, the H model still had a co-pilot.  He was responsible for making inputs to the fire control radar for the 75mm gun.  Further, VMB-613 (the only Marine squadron flying the H model) was using it operationally from January '45 till the end of the war.  Interestingly enough, they removed the blister .50 cals from their's and used the 75mm quite effectively.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2007, 07:40:05 PM »
One of the more controversial changes introduced by the B-25H was the deletion of the co-pilot position. The elimination of the co-pilot's seat, armor plate, and controls resulted in a saving of over 300 pounds of weight. At the position of the copilot, a jump seat for the navigator was provided since his position had now been preempted by the forward-moved dorsal turret. General James Doolittle had always questioned the need for a copilot in the B-25 and B-26. However, General George Kenney, commander of the Fifth Air Force in the Pacific, vehemently objected and claimed that he needed the second pilot for long, over-water missions under hazardous conditions. However, General Arnold overruled these objections, and the B-25H was delivered without a co-pilot's position.

The five-man crew consisted of the pilot, navigator-cannoneer-radioman, flight engineer-top turret gunner, waist gunner-camera operator and tail gunner. Three of five crew members had multiple jobs; there was no co-pilot or bombardier and only one waist gunner.

Are you sure the Marines had a B25H with a co-pilot seat or was it a B-25G that had the copilot seat?  From what I've been able to find, there wasn't a B-25H with a co-pilot seat and those 75mm cannon equipped B-25s that did have a co-pilot were the B-25Gs.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2007, 08:06:30 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
Are you sure the Marines had a B25H with a co-pilot seat or was it a B-25G that had the copilot seat?  From what I've been able to find, there wasn't a B-25H with a co-pilot seat and those 75mm cannon equipped B-25s that did have a co-pilot were the B-25Gs.

ack-ack

VMB-613's aircraft were B-25H-5's.  We may have misunderstood each other, as they didn't have a second set of controls, but there was a seat and crew position called "co-pilot".  The co-pilot did control the radar for the gun.  Check out the website http://www.vmb-613.com for some definitive descriptions of the equipment.  Also, look through some of the after-action reports describing the use of the gun