Author Topic: Submitting a Pacific Jug.  (Read 393 times)

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
Submitting a Pacific Jug.
« on: April 01, 2007, 09:56:22 PM »
Been tinkering with this on and off for a while, and any more work I do to it just doesn't look "right", so I'm submitting it as is. Kenny Giroux's 8th FG P-47-D5 from New Guinea.

Kept it pretty clean for a SWPA Jug, but I wanted more of an overall dirty and faded look than a lot of paint chipping and mud spatters. Especially since the few photos I've seen of the actual aircraft show it to be pretty well maintained. So I went with a couple overall layers of dirt and grime with a few areas of light chipping, oil and hydraulic fluid stains around the cowling, and smoke stains on the wings and belly. Pretty early on in its short career.

8th FG didn't keep their Jugs for long (in fact only the 36th FS got them, the 35th used P-40Ns and the 80th used P-38s at that time), so they didn't see as much wear and tear from combat as did the other types in Group use.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 10:01:54 PM by Treize69 »
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Wes14

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 10:51:59 PM »
nice :aok
Warning! The above post may induce: nausea, confusion, headaches, explosive diarrhea, anger, vomiting, and whining. Also this post may not make any sense, or may lead to the hijack of the thread.

-Regards,
Wes14

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 12:14:41 AM »
IMO it's "too" clean. But I've done worse.

G stands for Giroux??

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 12:44:51 AM »
Don't know if I'm too late, but notice the transition between the OD and Medium Gray.  There's a couple "bubble" portions along the cowling instead of a straight line.  There would be more along the aft fuselage as well.

Also, you could lower the opacity on the overall OD portions and the insignia and it would soften the colors a little.

My two cents...