Author Topic: Sinister motives for der 'Vader  (Read 1839 times)

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
Sinister motives for der 'Vader
« on: April 03, 2007, 12:38:04 PM »
Beyond the more altruistic motives of adding a second perk-worthy buff ride to the game for buff drivers to spend their perk points on.  There could be less savory reasons to vote for the A-26 Invader addition to the game.

The A-26B would be the "Lord of da HO", with up to 14 forward facing .50's. Boards will be filled with complaints, as will Channel 200.  ("He killed me with one ping!"  "Thot weren't no 'ping', son.")

That much firepower might also cause many players with serious frame rate problems every time a 'Vader fires anywhere in their vicinity.  

Entertainment value of posts against the 'Vader in the forums re> it's speed ("it can't be caught by anyone") and if it gets drones (even though drones would be additionally perked like the Arado).

The speed issue will of course lead to a possible solution: the addition of the German 88mm Flak36, that, in addition to indirect and direct fire against ground targets, could engage aircraft in AA mode with manned puffy ack all the way up to 35K altitude.  Not just useful against A-26 Invaders under it's 22,000 service ceiling, but no sub-orbital buff driver would be safe over a target. (LTARs should appreciate this aspect....when not being hunted by Invaders.....)

All part of my plan to take over the world.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 12:41:43 PM »
:rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 01:28:11 PM »
Don't understand why the A-26, if we were to get it would be perked.  It would hardly cause any sort of game imbalance, which is the criteria for a plane to be perked.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 01:37:12 PM »
unperked would be great for me as i don't fly bombers much.

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 01:45:48 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
Don't understand why the A-26, if we were to get it would be perked.  It would hardly cause any sort of game imbalance, which is the criteria for a plane to be perked.

ack-ack

i don,t think it should be perked on its own as an attack plane.

if used in a bomber formation maybe.

i think it would be the fastest level bomber in the game.

that might make it "uber" enough to warrant perking.

love to see a formation of  A-26C s  being chased down by A-26D s.

VOTE   A-26     VOTE  A26   VOTE  A26
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 01:58:04 PM »
Same firepower as the Mossie and less than the Bf110G-2, though better balistics than the Bf110's.  Both of them out perform the A-26 in air-to-air terms too.

I don't see how the A-26 changes anything.

Oh, bulletwise:

A-26:
14 guns x 12.5 rounds per second per gun  = 175 rounds per second.

Spitfire Mk I/Hurricane Mk I:
8 guns x 20 rounds per second per gun = 160 rounds per second.

Not that far behind.  No lag.

It will be perked because it would pretty much eliminate the use of a wide range of attack birds if it were free.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 02:03:31 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
Same firepower as the Mossie and less than the Bf110G-2, though better balistics than the Bf110's.  Both of them out perform the A-26 in air-to-air terms too.

I don't see how the A-26 changes anything.

Oh, bulletwise:

A-26:
14 guns x 12.5 rounds per second per gun  = 175 rounds per second.

Spitfire Mk I/Hurricane Mk I:
8 guns x 20 rounds per second per gun = 160 rounds per second.

Not that far behind.  No lag.

It will be perked because it would pretty much eliminate the use of a wide range of attack birds if it were free.

How would any plane on the list change anything more??

VOTE   A-26     VOTE   A-26     VOTE   A-26

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 02:58:43 PM »
That wasn't what he was implying.  He was claiming it was special in firepower and RoF.  It really isn't.

As to what would have changed things most or been the biggest divergence, well, the Me410, but that is gone now.

Of those remaining at least the B-25 closes a gap and the P-39 kinda closes a gap.  That is a bigger change than the A-26 which doesn't close anything at all.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline -CodyC

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 03:14:03 PM »
I think the idea of adding flak36s to the game is a great one.  Wish that could come out in the next version.

lwcody

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 03:47:57 PM »
That wasn't what he was implying.  He was claiming it was special in firepower and RoF.  It really isn't.

As to what would have changed things most or been the biggest divergence, well, the Me410, but that is gone now.

Of those remaining at least the B-25 closes a gap and the P-39 kinda closes a gap.  That is a bigger change than the A-26 which doesn't close anything at all.

Imho, the B-25 and the P-39 will get eaten alive in the LW arenas.

and we all know thats where most people fly.

the only gaps i see are in the EW and MW arenas,where those 2 planes would fare very well.

VOTE FOR FUN!!!    VOTE  A-26    VOTE FOR FUN!!!!  VOTE A-26!!!

it would be nice if we could all get the plane we wanted.

i,ll try out whatever wins.

it would seem a waste to create new hanger queens though.

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 03:53:10 PM »

Yep.  Pretty much all medium bombers and many attack planes would sit if A-26 were free.   Invader has been mentioned in the past being one of three or four perk-worthy bombers that could be added to the game.  Just having something other than the Arado (which is fun at times, but limited use) to spend buff perk points on is a plus to buff drivers.  No way Invader gets added as a free bird.

Of course, what HTC actually does with it, should it win: A-26B, A-26C with norden bombsight, lone attack plane or allowed to take drones.....  Only difference between A-26B and A-26C is the nose configuration, so adding both would be relatively easy to do in-game, AFAIK.

An A-26B Block-50's with 14 X .50's X 400 rpg, 14 X 5 inch rockets on the wings, and an  internal bay with 8 X 500 lbs bombs would do well in deack, anti-vehicle, vulch, town killer, and general attack roles.

An flight of 3 - A-26C Block-50's with Norden bombsight, and with up to 6,000 lbs bomb-load, would be a great medium level penetration bomber, better than both Ki-67 and B-26, and still have 8 forward firing .50s' with 400 rpg to do some strafing with.

There have been comparisons with the Mossie, but the Invader also has two remote barbettes, ventral and dorsal, with 2 X .50's X 500 rpg each to help defend it.

Invader in AHII in LW skies filled with La-7's, Pones, Nikis, and Splixteens wearing a "Kill Me I'm A Perk Ride" icon over it won't be the uber-ride it was in AW, but should still be a fun ride.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 04:06:33 PM »
1Boner,

I tend to look at scenario options first and MA options second.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 04:10:19 PM »
1Boner,

I tend to look at scenario options first and MA options seventieth.

same idea as me

i ignore scenarios

don,t care for em.

to each his own

i understand why you would want those planes over A-26

good luck,

Boner

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 04:16:24 PM »
HO machine is what turned me off. I loved it in AW but you couldnt HO there. If it wasnt perked, no other bomber would be used.

~AoM~

Offline Flatbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 05:04:55 PM »
1Boner,

I tend to look at scenario options first and MA options second.

While scenarios draw some 5-700 people, the LWMA's get those kind of numbers every day. Filling out the planesets for scenarios is a good idea but to do that and forget about the usefullness of those planes in the arenas where HTC's bread and butter comes from would be a bad business decision, IMO.