Author Topic: 2 quick questions.  (Read 587 times)

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
2 quick questions.
« on: April 04, 2007, 08:51:08 AM »
#1 All my parts are here except the memory, which should be here tommorow, and the copy of xp which should be here next week.
I was reading the mobo manual online, and basically found out that since i'm using IDE connections for the hard drive and DVD drive, that i'd have to go into bios and set everything up before installing the OS.

My question is this.  I have no idea how i should set up  bios, but was wondering if i made a list up of the parts i installed, and then posted the list of the bios questions here, could someone here help me fill in the blanks?

#2 If i set it all up tommorow, and use an old copy of xp to get the rig up and running, xp will ask me for a registration number, but i think i have 30 days before it will shut down.  So when the new copy comes next week, could i just reinstall that xp and give them the number? Or should i just wait?

Thanks
"The lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks." - Ren & Stimpy

Ingame- Ozone

Offline Sting138

• Copper Member
Re: 2 quick questions.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 10:22:16 AM »
Originally posted by Speed55
#1 All my parts are here except the memory, which should be here tommorow, and the copy of xp which should be here next week.
I was reading the mobo manual online, and basically found out that since i'm using IDE connections for the hard drive and DVD drive, that i'd have to go into bios and set everything up before installing the OS.

My question is this.  I have no idea how i should set up  bios, but was wondering if i made a list up of the parts i installed, and then posted the list of the bios questions here, could someone here help me fill in the blanks?

#2 If i set it all up tommorow, and use an old copy of xp to get the rig up and running, xp will ask me for a registration number, but i think i have 30 days before it will shut down.  So when the new copy comes next week, could i just reinstall that xp and give them the number? Or should i just wait?

Thanks

As far as the XP setup. Thats entirely up to you,  I would however go ahead and run the setup to make sure it will load properly and then boot into windows and just let it sit till you get your copy thats coming and reinstall. This way youll have plenty of time to troubleshoot if it gives you issues during the boot and install.

For your bios question.
First off check your boot device order and set your fdd to first boot device, cd or dvd to second, and hdd third.
That way when you go to install windows it will search for a boot disk on the fdd drive then go to cd rom and boot from the windows cd so you can install windows.

If you change and should move to sata drives in the future you can still leave fdd drive as first, cd-dvd second and hdd third, but you may get a prompt to hit f6 during setup to install your third party skuzzy/raid/sata drivers that will be on the fdd that should have come with your motherboard. This should only be neccessary on some of the older 1st and second gen sata drives though.

Anyhow youll probably have the best luck setting up your bios by choosing the set up bios with the default options then press F10 to save and exit then choose Y to exit and save changes. If you have any problems you can pm me and I'll be glad to help. If needed I can give you my phone number so you can call in case needed.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 10:30:34 AM by Sting138 »

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
2 quick questions.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 10:30:23 AM »
Thanks alot Sting.   I'll p.m you if i have any issues.

The main thing i'd like to do in bios  is disable onboard sound and use the soundblaster card.

Ingame- Ozone

Offline Sting138

• Copper Member
2 quick questions.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 10:32:43 AM »
The sound disable is easy to do, just go into your bios manual and read through it VERY CAREFULLY and it will tell you exactly how to do this. Generally it will be under onboard hardware options. Some are set to auto disable when a sound card is detected some arent. Just let me know if you have any issues.

:aok

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
2 quick questions.
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 05:14:25 PM »

Need help with the chasis wiring.

Are the white wires negative/ground?

I'm not real sure what to do with the big one, with the green and white wires. Does it just connect to the power supply?

Everything else went pretty smooth.. I'll find out for sure tommorow when i get the memory. If it blows up then i guess i did something wrong.  
:lol
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 05:19:03 PM by Speed55 »

Ingame- Ozone

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
2 quick questions.
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 05:26:46 PM »
the green wire wider 4 pole plug is the pwr switch  

needs to be on the upper right last 2 pins in your pic

yes the whites are neutrals ... not critical on the switches .
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
2 quick questions.
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 05:50:50 PM »
Ok thanks..

Does the computer store sell a converter from the big power supply type connector (Molex?) to the little 2 pin connector on the motherboard like the other ones have?

Ingame- Ozone

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
2 quick questions.
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 06:31:26 PM »
your power supply doesnt hook in at your pic's connection  thats just for switches ,leds,and sometimes a speaker connect for the post beep

the power supply connects thru the 24 pin atx and sometimes needs the 4wire square molex .  you'll see in the directions .  its pretty simple
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
2 quick questions.
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 07:08:29 PM »
Ok,  i rushed probably didn't explain it right.

In the picture i drew.  From the front of the case there are:

Power LED -Orange/White - ends with little 2 pin connector
 Reset Switch -Blue/White   - ends with little 2 pin connector
 Hard Drive LED - Yellow/White - ends with little 2 pin connector
 AND
 Power button -Green/White  - ends with a BIG MOLEX 4 pin connector

I can't connect the Power button to the mother board because the two wires from the power button on the front of the case have a  molex connector at the end. The mother board has tiny pins.

What do i do? Splice wires?

Ingame- Ozone

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
2 quick questions.
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 08:22:04 PM »
ah you must have a older case  ... you need to change that whole power switch  as for its a push on push off type .... instead of a push to close curcuit type (interrupt switch)

just wiring it to use on a newer mb wont work .

must likely your gonna need a new case that breaths better anyway  . 120cm fans are the way to go for good airflow and a relatively quiet pc ...
Roscoroo ,

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
2 quick questions.
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 08:33:55 PM »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147057

That's the case i got.
Ahh crap don't say that!
 I just finished installing everything.  

Is there anyplace that sells a normal button that i can connect somewhere on the front panel?

It has a 120mm in the back, and tommorow i was gonna buy one for the front.

Ooooh, i just had an idea.. what would happen if i plugged the reset button connector and just used the reset switch to power on?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 08:42:07 PM by Speed55 »

Ingame- Ozone

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
2 quick questions.
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 08:46:07 PM »
It looks like a modern case. It's a P-4 compatible with side duct and all.

Don't know why the heck they used a MOLEX on the power switch, though!! :huh

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
2 quick questions.
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 08:50:54 PM »
hmm thats a newer case ...  it should be a normal interupt style powerswitch then  ... and on a small 2 wire connector

hmmmm

well worse comes to worse you can always hook the reset switch up to the pwr switch pins on the mainboard , it is the correct type of switch .  

im still baffled why the power switch would be on the larger molex style and there isnt a normal pwr switch plug ...

Edit: I wonder is the 4 pin molex with 2 wires  is for a case light or fan ???
Roscoroo ,

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
2 quick questions.
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 08:56:47 PM »
Oh maaaaaannn!!!!!!1

I'll tell you why, CAUSE I'M AN IDIOT!!!

Don't drink when your building a computer, you start to confuse yourself.

Roo, your right, the 4-pin is the case light.

orange/white is power switch.
blue/white is reset switch
yellow/white is hdd light..

:mad:  :rolleyes:  :cry

:aok   THANKS!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 09:04:57 PM by Speed55 »

Ingame- Ozone

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
2 quick questions.
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 09:04:32 PM »
use the reset switch .  
 ive dont it tons of times on older cases with newer boards.

or if you can take the front off ...carefully and dont leave a cdrom in the bay screwed in cause it can wreck it .... (Stupid Roo mistake kinda thing)

there may be the power wire hiding that didnt get correctly strung thru .
Roscoroo ,