Author Topic: Clipped-wing Stuka?  (Read 621 times)

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Clipped-wing Stuka?
« on: April 05, 2007, 07:26:08 PM »
So I an sitting here at work watching a WWII documentary how on PBS, you know the one with alot of historical black and white footage.  During one of the clips there were 2 stuka's that were rolling inverted and diving into attack runs.  It seemed as if they had squared-off clipped wings.  I have never seen this model stuka, if it existed.  I thought maybe the tips were painted darker, and they may have been, but it seemed they were clearly clipped winged stuka's.  Was I seeing things?

:eek:
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
Clipped-wing Stuka?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 07:58:52 PM »
Uhhhh... Never heard of a "clipped wing" stuka. But some variants (like the D5) had a larger wingspan than usual... maybe you saw both of them and thought the larger wingspan was the rule? :confused:
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Clipped-wing Stuka?
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 08:12:40 PM »
Maybe so.  I have no idea what it was exactly but the wing tips definitely looked squared off and not tapered like the usual stuka wingtip.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Clipped-wing Stuka?
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 09:04:02 PM »
This is the typical stuka wingtip that I am used to:

What I noticed on the video was this wingtip:

I guess I never realised that the stuka had 2 different types of wingtips during it's time.

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Clipped-wing Stuka?
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 09:13:55 PM »
Or the radically 'clipped wing' version:

:D

Offline ridley1

• Nickel Member
Clipped-wing Stuka?
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 10:21:05 PM »
that first 'clipped wing' stuka you show...that's condor legion markings, isn't it? so that would put it as a real early variant...the wheel spats appear to be a different shape, too.

and in the extremely clipped picture......is that an arrestor hook I see?

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
Clipped-wing Stuka?
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 10:44:15 PM »
From Vital Guide, Bombers of the 20th Century, Jim Winchester

Ju-87D-5 had longer span wings with pointed tips as did the Ju-87G with two 37mm cannon

The Ju-87C was intended for aircraft carrier use and had folding wings, but the 40 built all flew from land.

The Ju87R was basically a B with improved fuel system and drop tanks.  The B was extremely effective in the Blitzkrieg attacks of 1939-40

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Clipped-wing Stuka?
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 10:56:59 PM »
The navalized version was just a joke, I knew about that.  You can clearly see even the navalized version had the square-tips.  I just didn't realise that the stuka had squared wingtips in it's early incarnations.

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
Clipped-wing Stuka?
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 11:03:32 PM »
I figured you knew Diablo, I was helping Ridley just in case. ;)

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Clipped-wing Stuka?
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 11:20:44 PM »
Nope, never knew it.  Then again I've never been a stuka fan.

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
Clipped-wing Stuka?
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 04:26:06 AM »
Indeed, Diablo, the first picture you posted is a D5, with the longer, pointy wingtips. The second one should be a B (or maybe even an A?), and yes, it's a Spanish camo. The tipical Stuka wingtip is the "clipped" one, even AH D3 has it. :)

I never saw pictures of the navalized Ju87, thanks for posting them (lexicon der wehrmacht, very nice site, too bad it's in German only! :p)

EDIT: Yes, the "Spanish" one is an A, as ridley noted, the wheel spats are in their original shape.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 04:45:59 AM by Gianlupo »
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline ridley1

• Nickel Member
Clipped-wing Stuka?
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 09:03:13 AM »
I just look at the shape of the radiator cowling to distinguish between early and later models.