Author Topic: Wingman Tactics Clinic of 4-5-07  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Wingman Tactics Clinic of 4-5-07
« on: April 06, 2007, 10:54:02 AM »
For those of you who participated in the clinic, thanks for coming. As you found out, flying effectively as a two-man team is not easy. It takes practice to develop a sense of coordination and teamwork.

Just learning to maneuver effectively as a team is time consuming and often difficult. However, it is worth the effort.

You learned two basic formations; Loose Deuce and Staggered Loose Deuce. There are many other variations, but these two are quite effective and a good place to begin.

We concentrated on defensive wingman tactics.

After an hour of formation flying and formation maneuvering, we began to do some combat flying. Fuzeman and I flew as the aggressors, each one attacking a different formation from behind.

Here's my initial observations.

1) Too often, wingmen became separated by too great a distance to maintain mutual support. I suspect most if this was the result of losing visual contact with the wingman and/or the attacking fighter.

2) More often than getting separated, most teams bunched up. Wingmen were frequently within 200 yards of each other. You can't provide mutual support when both pilots are under attack by the same enemy fighter. Bunching up allows the enemy to track both fighters easily. You want to challenge the enemy's SA and break his concentration. Don't bunch up. Several times, I killed both wingmen within a 15 second span because they were too close to each other. Maintain separation whenever possible.

3) Share leadership roles. The pilot closest to the enemy or the one with the best tactical position becomes the leader. It shouldn't even need discussion.

4) Don't compete for the kill, that causes you to lose focus, bunch up and get beaten. Support the leader, protect his tail. You will get your share of kill opportunities.

5) Communication... Wingmen must talk to each other, especially when just beginning to fly as a team. Leaders must inform wingmen of their intentions. Wingmen should provide a second set of eyes for the leader, and communicate what he sees.

6) Wingmen need to learn a sense for when their partner is in trouble and when to intervene.

Phase two of the clinic will be held on April 19th at 9 PM Eastern in the TA as field A100. This clinic will concentrate on offensive wingman tactics.

Attached are the diagrams I mentioned.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 01:03:09 PM »
Excellent Widewing, I'll bet this was an interesting clinic.  Section work requires a little bit of thought and is quite an interesting and valuable although not nearly as prevalent as it should be in AH.  Generally, the constant stream of dying and re-upping tends to kill alot of attempts at good section work.  My schedule has been real rough but I'd like to try to pop and help out in the event on the 19th.

Here's a few things I would add, if I may.

Combat Spread:  Loose deuce is typically called combat spread now (although I know loose deuce is correct WWII lingo).  There are generally two types of combat spread, offensive and defensive.  The difference is in separation and mind-set based on the flight's SA and threat.  With little SA or a high threat the section tightens up a bit (maybe a little inside of 1k) this makes section maneuvering easier and provides better mutual support but then let's say it's just your section against another.  You can switch to an offensive spread by getting further apart (1.5k to 2k).  This makes the opposing section choose between the two fighters giving the free fighter an initial offensive position as they attack his wingman.  Of course, the farther apart you are the less able you are to defend each other so you've got to take that into consideration and, of course, each fighter still needs to make their turns toward each other for mutual support.

Lookout:  One of the advantages of section work is much better lookout but there are some priorities.  In general each fighter should scan the sky "through" their wingman.  For instance, the fighter on the right side of the formation is responsible for the area from his right 3 o'clock left to his 6 o'clock.  The fighter on the left is responsible for the area from his left 9 o'clock to the right to his 6 o'clock.  Each fighter makes occasional scans of 360 but always need to make it an absolute habit to regularly check his wingman's 6 (both high and low).  There is no excuse for a section to ever be jumped by an unseen bandit.

Cross Turn: The cross turn to face the bandit should include a vertical component with one fighter doing a high yo-yo and the other a low one.  This keeps both fighters out of the same piece of sky and complicates things for the attacker.  The typical call from the lead would be "cross-turn now, I'm high".  In a well performed cross turn the fighters are both out of phase and out of plane with each other.

Tac Turn: I don't know if you addressed tac turns but it's one of the most used means of maneuvering a section.  Let's say a section spots a bandit closing at 9 o'clock.  The outside fighter (on the right in this case) calls "tac 90 left now" and immediately executes a 90 degree turn toward the bandit.  The second fighter continues straight ahead until his wingman is just about to cross behind him and then he executes his 90 degee left turn.  This puts both in perfect combat spread facing the target.  The turn doesn't have to be exactly 90 degrees of course, pilots just use their judgement (turn earlier or later) to make it work out.

Shackle Turn:  Another useful maneuver is the shackle turn which is often used when disengaging and to reform the section.  In this case the two fighters are heading the same direction but the wingman is behind and to the lead's right.  Rather than have the lead slow down one of the fighters (usually the trailer since he can see the formation better) calls "shackle right" and the lead will make a 90 degree turn to the right while the trailing wingman continues straight ahead.  When the wingman passes behind the lead the lead makes a 90 degree left turn and both aircraft are now back in a proper spread.  An additional benefit is that the lead's initial 90 degree turn puts him in a great position to clear his wingman's six, particularly against those pesky LA7's trying to run him down on his low six where he may not be seen.

Phase and Plane:  You're absolutely right about the "bunching together".  Both fighters need to stay out of the same piece of sky otherwise a tactic used by the bandit works against both.  To further expound on this, both fighters need to stay out of phase and out of plane with each other.  Out of phase means they're not turning the same direction.  If one's going left the other should be going right.  Staying out of plane means their turn circles should not be in the same plane.  If one is turning level, the other should be turning vertical.

Engaged and Free Fighter:  The wingman doing the shooting or being shot at is engaged, the other is free.  The engaged fighter's roll is to either get a quick kill or make the bandit predictable for the free fighter to attack.  The free fighter's role is to position himself to engage the bandit for a quick kill.  When he's positioned he calls "in" letting his wingman know he's engaging and the wingman can then become the free fighter.  Also, it's the free fighter's job to clear his wingman's six and keep a lookout for other approaching bandits.  It's usually the free fighter than is in the best position to look at the big picture and call for a bugout.  Once calling for a bug, the free fighter can threaten the initial bandit to allow his wingman to disengage and once his wingman is clear he joins on him, reforming the section into spread.  You might hear a call from the free fighter that goes something like this:  "Four bandits north, high, bug south".  This tells the engaged fighter 1) the type of threat, 2) the threat's position, and 3) what direction to escape.  Once his wingman is disengaged the free fighter should call his position "I'm at your right 5 O'clock high, continue (or shackle right)".

Switching:  When both fighters are engaged against equal or superior numbers there is no free fighter but that doesn't mean all they do is stay in the same vicinity.  Typically, what happens in AH is both fighters end up essentially fighting two separate but overlapping 1v1's until one of them decides to attack the other's bandit.  That means all your firepower and attention become focused on just one bandit allowing the second to become "free".  If both fighters are trying to kill the same bandit that usually means they become in phase and in plane which makes it very easy for the free bandit to setup and attack them both.  To avoid this, the fighters need to communicate.  Going back to the idea that you have two overlapping 1v1's going on, both fighters should keep track of both bandits and look for opportunities to give them a good offensive position on the other bandit.  Most bandits are boresighted on one guy giving plenty of opportunities for the other fighter to capitalize on.  For instance, say one fighter is at the top of a vertical move and has the choice of coming off right or left.  If coming off right puts him in a good position on the other bandit's high six then he should do that and call "switch".   The other fighter should then switch his attention to the other bandit to prevent him from becoming free.  Lots of judgement is called for here, if your wingman is two seconds away from gunning some guy's brains out already don't call switch just because you're in a good position.  Make sure you keep your bandit off him so he can turn things into a 2v1.  Also, remember in a 2v2 you are fighting both the bandits, not just one.

Ummmmmmm....I guess I got a little verbose and went beyond a just "few things." :D   Anyway, hope it helps.

Mace
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 01:12:26 PM »
Thanks for your time Widewing.
As I mentioned, and I think this is a good/bad thing, IMO turning CM Eye on could benefit this training somewhat.
Good part is of course people could 'fly around' and watch from an external point of view.
Bad part is I'm 100% certain we'd need a seperate class just for some folks to set CM Eye up and get it working.
We use it in KOTH many people have difficulty getting it to work correctly.
Once you do get working though it can be a very useful tool.

One thing I noticed was the element of the loose deuce that was under attack occasioinally had a tendency to turn into the wingman.
The fight then ended up just going round and round.
Sometimes it's better to turn away from the wingman to let the other element get a better shot.
Of course the many variables in a fight will effect this so it's not a hard and fast 'rule' to go by.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline NitroFish

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 01:52:21 PM »
I couldn't make it last night.

Is there any chance of a make-up before phase 2 on the 19th?
CPR

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 04:17:21 PM »
Originally posted by NitroFish
I couldn't make it last night.

Is there any chance of a make-up before phase 2 on the 19th?

Last night was very basic stuff, primarily just getting the formation down.
You can really do that with your wingman now and just fly around in that formation and make left, right and 180 degree turns.
That is the key to this, keeping that formation and not getting to close or seperated while the two planes maneuver as a single fighting entity.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

Offline NitroFish

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 06:23:57 PM »
Sounds good.
CPR

Offline Tsnow

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 12:34:44 PM »
Widewing,

Thanks for the class. I didn't realize How difficult it was
to fly as a two man team. Lots and lots of practice
will be needed.

Looking forward to the next one.

Tsnow

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 10:06:45 PM »
Originally posted by Mace2004
My schedule has been real rough but I'd like to try to pop and help out in the event on the 19th.

Please do Mace, the guys would certainly benefit from the knowledge of a real fighter pilot.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline 68slayr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 02:08:20 PM »
will you be doing this again anytime soon?

I really need to work on tactics with a wingie

Offline Old Sport

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 12:42:24 PM »
Congratulations on the wingman clinics. I think it's a great idea.

I had an idea for the MA that would encourage elements that I posted in the wish list last year.

Elements

Best regards

Offline Movie

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 06:14:05 PM »
widewing are you like the "boss" of the AH trainers

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 09:11:35 PM »
Originally posted by Movie
widewing are you like the "boss" of the AH trainers

No he isn't, TC is CO of the Training Corps.

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 08:04:02 AM »
I hated to miss this (out of town for Easter).  I do appreciate the postings here (especially the excellent remarks by Mace).  I'm looking forward to making the next one.

Thanks Widewing, Mace, et al.

!
The Hay Street Boys

Offline swoose

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 12:23:02 PM »
I too would like to thank widewing for setting up the clinic and also Fuzeman who is always willing to help train. Being a noob to online gaming and AHII I feel blessed to be in the same squad as Fuzeman. The sorties we have together are always a learning experience as he is constantly sharing his knowledge with the squad. A great help!
  It is difficult to fly wingman formations and especially when a bandit enters the picture. Not only are you trying to keep up with the bandit but also your wingman.
 It seems like when in the virtual skies you run up on bandits that are flying as wingmen that it is even harder to survive. I would much rather be on the giving end than the receiving end!
 Thanks again for your help and patience. :aok

Offline Movie

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 03:18:38 PM »
too bad widewing should be the CO he has very good knowlegde