Author Topic: ANY PLANS for Single Arena..  (Read 1562 times)

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
ANY PLANS for Single Arena..
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2007, 06:02:35 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
What I see now is largely the break up the huge "super squads" that were unbalancing the single MA by focusing big numbers at any point.

Some good came of it, some bad.   As to bad:

To those that liked the strategic aspects of the game on occassion, organized squads were the best way to organize and conduct them (although, usually is was just a mob rushing a base).

That was hard enough to organize under a single MA, with 150 or more pilots per country.  Under multiple arenas, with caps, it is very hard to organize a mission against strats to effect the overall war front on a map.  

Its rare to see a enemy strat factory knocked down unless it is very close to a friendly base.  Combined efforts to destroy strategic targets across one or more bases are rare.  Warfare conducted against material resources just doesn't happen much.  Even HQ raids have dropped off from what I've seen.

Most bombers go after hangars in base vulch/capture attempts.  You see dar hit, sometimes ord.  Troops/supplies are not knocked down now like before.  Fuel bunkers don't often get hit.

I used to run B-17's against strats a lot.  I don't bother taking up buffs very often any more.  Just don't see the point in it, as it will have little overall effect.

HTC included an interesting strat and resupply model into the game, but I don't think it is of any consequence any more.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: ANY PLANS for Single Arena..
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2007, 06:20:22 PM »
Originally posted by VISTTA
This has been gone over and over,,,but is there any plans fr the near Future to go back to a single arena again.??  High Tech should have known  " if it aint broke, dont fix it"

Who likes to join arenas with only a range of 50 to 100 people in it...boring.......

Bring back the main arena  people....

Lets vote on that before we vote on another plane... GAH!!!

VISTTA

Never again.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2007, 06:36:47 PM »
Lets see now, with a screen name of Vistta . That can't possibly be a troll.

I'm betting overlag's new bbs name.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2007, 07:08:18 PM »
Originally posted by tedrbr
Some good came of it, some bad.   As to bad:

To those that liked the strategic aspects of the game on occassion, organized squads were the best way to organize and conduct them (although, usually is was just a mob rushing a base).

That was hard enough to organize under a single MA, with 150 or more pilots per country.  Under multiple arenas, with caps, it is very hard to organize a mission against strats to effect the overall war front on a map.  

Its rare to see a enemy strat factory knocked down unless it is very close to a friendly base.  Combined efforts to destroy strategic targets across one or more bases are rare.  Warfare conducted against material resources just doesn't happen much.  Even HQ raids have dropped off from what I've seen.

Most bombers go after hangars in base vulch/capture attempts.  You see dar hit, sometimes ord.  Troops/supplies are not knocked down now like before.  Fuel bunkers don't often get hit.

I used to run B-17's against strats a lot.  I don't bother taking up buffs very often any more.  Just don't see the point in it, as it will have little overall effect.

HTC included an interesting strat and resupply model into the game, but I don't think it is of any consequence any more.

I've observed the same thing, and I have often wondered if HT should've just killed the whole strat concept altogether since he's gone this far. Makes for a shallow sim if there is nothing producing anything of any value worth taking/defending.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2007, 09:33:52 PM »
This setup is fine.... thought all the whiners left already
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline 96Delta

• Nickel Member
      • Loose Cannons Alliance (LCA)  "Realize Your Potential"
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2007, 09:53:02 PM »
How many of you guys logon early just to get a
slot in the arena with a decent map and then
don't fly for hours.

To be sure you are going to Heaven when you die  CLICK HERE.

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2007, 10:52:35 PM »
Simple Concept.

Total People logged at this point far exceeded the capacity on the "single" server a few months ago.

2 Options, cater to a small crowd or expand the arenas and grow.

Basic math still applies, populations growing, HTC has the foresight to set itself up to accept the growth that is occurring and will continue to occur.

There's not enough left in this horse to send to a glue factory.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline DEMONSLAYER

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2007, 10:56:00 PM »
the only thing i hate about it is when there are like 220 people in one of the late war arenas and like 130 people in the other, it wont let you get into the one with 220 because its full. i hate that.

Offline sgt203

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2007, 11:35:44 PM »
Hated the idea of multiple arenas but have grown to accept it and NO its not going back nor should it.

There is plenty to do.

I agree with all posters that better map rotation would be nice.

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2007, 02:46:47 AM »
Oh, I thought this was a thread about an arena where single people could go while they were looking for dates.

I was getting ready to send the link to Skyrock.    :D

Offline DieAz

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2007, 05:04:58 AM »
Originally posted by TinmanX
Why don't people have the guts to ask these questions with their own accounts anymore? Why open a shade just to ask a question?

with all the PNGs, maybe it is someone who can't ask under their "own account".

just a guess.

Offline yanksfan

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2007, 05:43:14 AM »
I whined on about the arena break up, but now i see what I couldn't b4, A year or so from now another late war/ main arena will be needed, AHII is growing, one arena won't cut it, some of the old maps in the new arena would be nice, i like GV'ing these maps don't really offer much in the way of a good ground battle like the older larger maps did, And as some of you have seen me whine on about maps also, they'll be along eventually.
 I personally would be willing to pay more per month to have a dedicated map maker at AH, but, I just play the game, to them this is a business and they have to dance with the one that brung em.
 Be happy have fun, early mid late ta da ava se there is alot on the table, things have a way of working them selves out.

I'm just not good at being the voice of reason.
ESTES- will you have my baby?
Ack-Ack -As long as we can name the baby Shuffler if it's a boy and Mensa if it's a girl.

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2007, 06:06:14 AM »
The only problem I have with the setup we have now is it prevents me from being able to fly with my squad sometime because of this floating arena limit thingy.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline Anyone

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2007, 06:14:25 AM »
Originally posted by Bronk
Lets see now, with a screen name of Vistta . That can't possibly be a troll.

I'm betting overlag's new bbs name.

Bronk

nope, and he likes the multi server setup now....

do love your insults in your sig too....exactly what i ment in the other thread.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 07:11:31 AM by Anyone »

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2007, 07:17:29 AM »
Originally posted by DEMONSLAYER
the only thing i hate about it is when there are like 220 people in one of the late war arenas and like 130 people in the other, it wont let you get into the one with 220 because its full. i hate that.

yep,

this caps, limiting 120 players/arena when are 200-250 players total combined in 4 arenas are killing the last taste of massive multi  for Euro players