Author Topic: Yak-9  (Read 429 times)

Offline Luigi30

• Zinc Member
Yak-9
« on: April 10, 2007, 08:22:37 PM »
I'm liking the Yak-9's ability to get up and climb in a really big hurry, but once something's on my tail I'm screwed since its armor seems to be made out of  tinfoil. What are some ways of getting planes off your butt in a hurry in a Yak? It's mostly 51s I have to deal with, it turns well enough that not much else can stay on the thing.

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
Yak-9
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 11:00:26 PM »
Your last line is confusing, because 51's dont turn that well at all (at low speed). I'm betting that if you get the fight slow, a yak will turn a little better than a pony. That is not to say the yak is a good low speed turner. You should at this point have found many enemy planes that can stay on you in a turn.

The key to a yak is all about style of fight. It works great in the vertical, snappy higher speed turn, great acceleration if you get in trouble. Difficult to hit so you can afford giving up a brief snapshot if it means you will be in better position afterwards.

As for dealing specifically with 51's...bleed out their energy, then take the fight vertical. The yak has a much better climb rate than the pony. Once you get a perch, press the fight.

Good luck :aok    Hope you've got the patience for the yak's ammo loadout

Offline Luigi30

• Zinc Member
Yak-9
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 06:31:22 PM »
Well last night I landed killing a 190 and C2 and still had 150 rounds in my MG, so I think I'm getting better at the thing :t

Offline Engine

• Silver Member
Yak-9
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 06:39:57 PM »
I absolutely hate the huge square framing in the Yak. Hate it!

This is not helpful to you at all, I know, but I wanted to vent. :)

Offline Emu

• Copper Member
Yak-9
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 07:20:45 PM »
Getting 4 - 6 kills on a single trip should be no problem with a Yak (forget about bombers though, unless u are flying the 9T).  One thing I have noticed is that many people use the "spray and pray" gunnery technique... probably being used to fly the american rides with a zillion .50 cal rounds, or Nikis with 500 cannon rounds... times two. I could go on.  With the Yak, you get an awesome cannon (either the 20mm or 37mm very fast and accurate, makes the german 20mm and 30mm seem inefectual) so all you have to do is get real close (icon range of 200 as a minimum... remember, icon range of 200 can mean plane is anywhere between 399 and 201yds), which shouldnt be a problem, and fire a short burst right into it.  Most times, they will go boom, or lose parts they really need.

As far as shaking people off your six, the Yak is really hard to hit.  I really hate fighting a Yak for that, especially when I am in a Yak myself since I have to be very careful with my ammo.  You get a stick stirrer, and unless u can spray and pray, you are in for a long chase.  But what if you are being chased?  Get comfortable with the Yak's capabilities and figure out the relative energy of the fighter chasing you.  In some cases, a simple barrel roll at the right time might do the trick.  If you have a spitfire on your arse at guns range, with very similar E states, unless he sucks, you are done for.  Same for some of the 109s.  Best thing you can do if the enemy is in guns range on your six is remember that the throttle is another form of aircraft control and in some cases it doesnt pay to have it firewalled all the time.... and think 3D... flat turns are not the only form of evasive.

Anyway, as a general rule, keep it fast and use the climb advantage it has.  51s should be no problem... you should always be able to outturn them or outmaneuver them.

Emu