Author Topic: is squirl still around?  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
is squirl still around?
« on: April 13, 2007, 01:36:27 PM »
seems with the new version of AH2  the terrain engine for tiles is finalized. with that in mind, I am planning on one more major skin project and then devoting all my free hobby time to a new main arena akin to my ah1 Ozkansas map and I am leaning heavily towards a pacific setting and theme though it could end up being an ETO map I wont know till my skin project is finished. hopefully by then there will be an updated terrain editor available.

also it would be of great help to get in contact with the origional masters of terrain tiles in AH1 "Squirl" if he is still active in AH would love to get some tips and tricks for terrain tile making from him if he is willing or able still. my origional Ozkansas map used his excellent pacific terrain tiles with just a few little modifications and I still miss that map terribly. am itching to bring a variation of it back in 256x256 size map with all the bells and whistles of the pacific in all its splendor.

but this is all speculation right now the scope of such a project could be overwhelming in its needs of reworked 3d terrain objects and trees and every other damn thing but who knows I might intend to build the tiles without any additional 3d objects initially and add more 3d clutter as able.

but I think the time is right to start planning for such a project if the terrain tiles system is indeed finalized.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
is squirl still around?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 01:48:36 PM »
If you are to make a MA map, please read the sticky thread.No costume tiles or anything like that allowed for MA maps.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
is squirl still around?
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 02:51:09 PM »
ah thx duh.. from what I just read..
the tiles can be custom textured just no custom 3d shapes and generally minimal amounts of object textures ie the ones that simply have to be changed such as tree colors or oither things to blend the 3d objects into the tiles kept as minimal as possible.

the clutter on the tiles can be rehashed or rearanged as needed to suit the terrain tile textures.

its all pretty straightforward and makes the project less intimidating than I origionally feared as it  states no custom 3d models to be added this is very good for me since I returned my copy of 3dstudiomax back to the store a year or more ago.

as long as existing 3d objects can be rearanged and deleted or added as needed everything will be fine :)

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
is squirl still around?
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 04:50:44 PM »
Cit, Squirrel resigned from the Terrain Team over a year ago... he was becoming too busy to volunteer, even too busy to fly.

Don't really know what his status is these days... every once in a while he pops in to say hi, but he hasn't been active for a long time now.

If I see him, I'll send him your way. :)
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
is squirl still around?
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 05:13:24 PM »
aye thx dux

id like to start tinkering with the newest tiles if possible. seems my skin project wont be able to get beyond the research phase for a few weeks and I want to get my feet wet again while the terrain bug is biting me.

i tried downloading the old terrain editor but the link is broken.

im really curious how I access the new basic tile textures themselves as thats all I would concern myself with for the time being. if its even yet possible to do anything with them.

Offline Dux

• Platinum Member
is squirl still around?
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 05:23:20 PM »
Cit, I believe that there is a new TE package coming out "very soon"... I think you'll have to wait for that before you can start tinkering.
Rogue Squadron, CO

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
is squirl still around?
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 06:02:36 PM »
edit just found the denholme tutorial and will download it when we finally get home after this 7 hour drive from my wifes mothers house. im bouncing off the walls cant play the new version yet or anything arghhhh! :D

aye dux myabe you could give me some pointers or perhaps there are other current members still around that are experienced with the quirks of the ah2 tile system  such as kantorri or others involved in such custom tiling? being out of the terrain making arena since AH1 I find I am pretty well out of the loop. I remember squirl specifically in that he was the maker of the tiles I origionally used but he probably isnt up to speed on the ah2 terrain if he has been away that long :(

perhaps with everyone waiting for the new terrain editor there is time for a rundown on the ah2 tile system for this renoobified old terrain maker? :D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 06:15:14 PM by Citabria »

Offline Dux

• Platinum Member
is squirl still around?
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 06:19:29 PM »
Actually, because the tile system has changed is why we're waiting for a new TE. The transition method between adjacent tiles is different, and we now have the ability to make beaches (another form of transition)... rivers are also treated differently with this new system.

We'll all be starting from scratch on this one. :)
Rogue Squadron, CO

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
is squirl still around?
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 06:24:05 PM »
hehe sweet.

well at least my timing is better then hopefully this system will be intact for a year or so.  I remember after I made both of my AH1 MA maps AH1 went bye bye and so did all my favorite features of those maps

:cry

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
is squirl still around?
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 03:04:54 AM »
And Citabria, make sure you bring a lot of aspirins, because as much as it is fun to make terrains it is very stressful too;)

I made a lot of tiles and textures, so if you need any help I'm here too.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
is squirl still around?
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 06:29:24 AM »
Citabria (still can't get use to that name :) ), the link for TE2094A is good. So, the last release is still availble.

http://downloads.hitechcreations.com/AH2EDIT2094A.EXE

I'm sure it can be used as a starting point. The transition changes should just be a conversion (if that) with the new TE when it's released.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
is squirl still around?
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 04:01:38 PM »
the link to the terrain editor is dead for me it downloads 20 kb and says it will take 25 hrs to download the whole 90 mb.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
is squirl still around?
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 07:29:56 AM »
It downloads for me with no problem. They must have bit 127 set on the file (the don't let Fester download bit).

Actually it did download for me, but the site server has been acting funky latetly. I've never transferred to the www1 address for HTC before, but now it happens constantly. I could speculate why the load is so high on the site server but I won't.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
is squirl still around?
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2007, 08:29:44 AM »
it finally downloaded for me last night :)

Offline Squirrel

• Copper Member
      • http://www.mindspring.com/~p38
is squirl still around?
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 11:10:03 PM »
Hey Fester,
 I still lurk around here on occasions but have been busy doing the grad-school-old-dog-new-tricks thing lately; hence, virtual flying and terrain skinning time has converged to 0.  Maybe someday things will settle down and I can get back in the saddle but thats at least a year out.   It was fun while it lasted!

Sqrl