Author Topic: Max throttle limitation  (Read 508 times)

Offline Goonerman

• Zinc Member
Max throttle limitation
« on: April 15, 2007, 08:32:22 AM »
I am in my two weeks free currently

When I go max throttle on the Lancaster to take off, or at any time, I can only get the dials to register half revs and etc. My climb rate is lousy as well.

Any thoughts? The dials show the revs can almost double but with joystick and with Shift  = i cant get any more power.

Maybe thats all I can get but why have dials which show so much more potential?

Thanks

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
Max throttle limitation
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 09:49:41 AM »
If you have just under 3000 RPM with about 9 on the Boost dial then you are in fact at maximum throttle and a loaded out Lanc does in fact climb slowly. This is one of the simulation aspect of the game! - Climb rates engine RPM etc are all realistic.

Just because the dials can read higher means nothing. - A bit like buying a town car with a 200mph speedometer - Just don't expect it to max out ;)

Try and add a bit more detail when you post. Such as what Revs and boost etc you do get so it will be more meaningful. Most engines dials here are measured on constant speed props so Revs will still be at just under 3000 even when throttled back a bit. What does change is the boost or the amountr of power you are demanding from the engine. I am not certain but I think boost maybe the same as manifold pressure.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 09:56:25 AM by Blagard »

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Max throttle limitation
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 12:32:55 PM »
Originally posted by Goonerman
I am in my two weeks free currently

When I go max throttle on the Lancaster to take off, or at any time, I can only get the dials to register half revs and etc. My climb rate is lousy as well.

Any thoughts? The dials show the revs can almost double but with joystick and with Shift  = i cant get any more power.

Maybe thats all I can get but why have dials which show so much more potential?

Thanks

Heavy bombers have lousy climb rates, all of them.
Lighten the load slightly with less fuel. Unless you're going to takeoff, then go to the theatre and watch a movie and come back and bomb something 50% should be enough. Maybe 75% but IMO thats to much for the average bomber flight.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
Max throttle limitation
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 12:57:55 PM »
Also, don't forget to use your flaps on takeoff.

They will add lots of lift to get you up at slow speed.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline NAVCAD

• Zinc Member
Max throttle limitation
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 08:47:04 AM »
Unless you're trying to bomb 3 or more sectors away, 25% fuel is usually more than enough.  With 25% you can climb fairly well.  I only use 50% when on a long trip.  Any more than 50% is useless and you'll never get off the ground (figuratively speaking of course).  Use the E6B tool on the clip board as well.  This will show you how much air time you have beofre your tanks are dry.

NAVCAD

Offline LTARokit

• Copper Member
Max throttle limitation
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 09:38:26 AM »
Navcav, long time no see :)

Navcav's exactly right.  Fuel load out is important.  25% Will take you a long way, and back.  The only time I will use 50% is long trips (2 or more sectors), or if target area has heavy CAP by nme.  Heavy CAP usually means at least one, or more, fuel leaks when being attacked air to air.......in which case 25% fuel doesn't last very long.

Hope this helps a little.  Welcome to HTC & happy hunting.  :aok

Rokit
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 09:40:28 AM by LTARokit »