Author Topic: Why GVers are lame.........  (Read 2430 times)

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
Why GVers are lame.........
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2007, 02:47:44 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
The point is, he can fire out, but no rounds will ever go in, because they explode harmlessly on the windmill, rather than on the tank.

It's a super shield power-up from Quake.

Well we all know that germans used magic shields on thier tanks in WWII.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2007, 02:49:41 PM »
The sherman makes "spawn camping" a real "tactic" in the sense that your not being blasted by an impenatrable tank {except to another tiger}. The combination of traverse smoke and hitting power lets even a small group (or single) "fight out" of the spawn against anything but overwhelming numbers. You cant just roll your tiger out to a spot behind the normal facing and know that even if the other guy spawns a tiger you'll get 2 shots before he can even get his turret around 99% of the time....

At 60 perks a piece how often to you break a spawn camp vs a tiger....

I've been chased out {or more likely killed} repeatedly and have "de camped" our TT spawn more then once myself. The FF has made the GV game alot more balanced...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2007, 02:50:54 PM »
Originally posted by crockett
I use the term "hack" as in "wall hack" which is what this sort of thing is usually called in most games. When people find an exploit in a game which allows them to look through a wall it's called a wall hack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_hack

Like I told another guy talking about the fience bug. He was calling it a hack. I told him try not to use the word "hack" becuase that implies that he is cheating and thread might get locked when you start trowing those words around. Anyone who does this is exploting a bug thats all.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2007, 02:51:35 PM »
Originally posted by Larry
In all fairness If a tank in WWII wanted to he could drive into a windmill and make a hile then back into it and use it as a hiding space. I still don't know why heavy tanks can't drive through trees or buildings. I mean not alot can stop a tiger going 25mph.

I agree, if you could model damage right a Tank should be able to create a cover like that....and a HVAP round from a FF or tiger wouldnt be stopped by a few 2 x 4's either.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2007, 03:03:16 PM »
I use the term "hack" as in "wall hack" which is what this sort of thing is usually called in most games. When people find an exploit in a game which allows them to look through a wall it's called a wall hack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_hack or maphacking  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maphack

From the source you gave:
"Wallhacking is the changing of wall properties in first-person shooters. Most wallhacks are used to make a map's walls at least partially transparent, allowing players to see objects lying behind a wall. "

Changing the properties - That is hacking, you have to manipulate parts of the program to achieve something. Nobody did manipulate the windmill, it's just exploiting.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2007, 03:11:01 PM »
Originally posted by Larry
Like I told another guy talking about the fience bug. He was calling it a hack. I told him try not to use the word "hack" becuase that implies that he is cheating and thread might get locked when you start trowing those words around. Anyone who does this is exploting a bug thats all.

Well that's exactly what is wrong with the GV community. There is no self policing of the players. We can't just expect HT guys to do everything there are always going to be little bugs here and there. All we can ask is that they fix the issues when we present to them.

However acting as it's ok to game the game by using exploits because we don't want to call it cheating or it might hurt someone feelings is a load of BS IMO. No offense meant and I can understand where you are coming from, but these guys that take advantage of this stuff know what they are doing.

If we act as if it's no big deal, then they will continue to seek out and exploit bugs. You may not think it's cheating but I do. If I jumped on a legit well run counter strike server or a quake server and started shooting people though walls how long would I last before a mod banned me?

This game is unlike most others, not only can you take screen shots but you can also easily record it. So why can't we call it what is it when we can prove they are exploiting the game?

If players knew they would be outed for stuff like this they likely wouldn't do it. Which is what half the problem is here.
"strafing"

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2007, 03:14:06 PM »
Originally posted by Lusche
From the source you gave:
"Wallhacking is the changing of wall properties in first-person shooters. Most wallhacks are used to make a map's walls at least partially transparent, allowing players to see objects lying behind a wall. "

Changing the properties - That is hacking, you have to manipulate parts of the program to achieve something. Nobody did manipulate the windmill, it's just exploiting.

you didn't read the entire thing...

"Other types of wallhack include "wallwalk", in which players become able to see through and walk through walls. Sometimes referred to as "ghostmode", this hack enables sneak attacks on anyone walking by the wall, as the player inside the wall is essentially invisible."

While the fence deal isn't exactlly this it's pretty much the same because they can't be shot unless you also use the same glitch. However the windmill bug anbd the other building bugs are this same thing.

If you don't like that then call it maphack as I also posted..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maphack  I don't care what it's called but it's still cheating in my book.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 03:17:36 PM by crockett »
"strafing"

Offline -CodyC

• Copper Member
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2007, 03:16:48 PM »
Originally posted by Westy
With the demise of AW and the abomination called "Relaxed Realism" those people have to be able to do something!(cackles madly.... lol)

Indeed, but as im sure most AW vets can admit to, most of us found our beginnings in RR until we realized it was like playing t-ball when we were in first grade.  Place the ball on the T, hit the ball.  All 11 players (you can't sit anyone out) on the field run to the ball, including the first baseman.  But not to worry because the runner ran to third base.  And in the end there are no losers, only those who peed their pants.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2007, 03:17:05 PM »
Crockett, you're missing the point. HACKING is changing the code. Discussing hacks on the forums is a NO-NO. HTC deals with cheats/hacks privately.

EXPLOITING is just being a lame-arse dweeb, getting somewhere you shouldn't be able to, but not changing, hacking, or breaking the code in any way. What we have here are exploiters, and this bug will no doubt be fixed, but for now it's annoying.

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2007, 03:23:27 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Crockett, you're missing the point. HACKING is changing the code. Discussing hacks on the forums is a NO-NO. HTC deals with cheats/hacks privately.

EXPLOITING is just being a lame-arse dweeb, getting somewhere you shouldn't be able to, but not changing, hacking, or breaking the code in any way. What we have here are exploiters, and this bug will no doubt be fixed, but for now it's annoying.

Are we really arguing what it's called rather than the real issue?

Ok call it "Exploiting" if it makes you guys feel better.. I still call it cheating.
"strafing"

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2007, 03:38:13 PM »
You might not have noticed, there's no talking of cheating/hacking on these forums. It's not allowed.

That is why we're splitting hairs. There's a distinction between the two categories.

EDIT: Using one vs the other doesn't really change the person that does it, but it makes a big difference with how you discuss it, and the accusations you throw around.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2007, 03:38:58 PM »
Are we really arguing what it's called rather than the real issue?

Ok call it "Exploiting" if it makes you guys feel better.. I still call it cheating.

Thats the point these guys are trying to make, its NOT cheating, it is "exploiting a bug" in the game. If it was cheating then you would see the mighty hand of god (HT) smite those that are doing it. .... by the way that was one of the things suggested by "humble". Should HT step and and start putting some of these people who are "exploiting a bug", in the "penalty box" it may curb this kind of thing.

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2007, 03:47:09 PM »
Originally posted by The Fugitive
Thats the point these guys are trying to make, its NOT cheating, it is "exploiting a bug" in the game. If it was cheating then you would see the mighty hand of god (HT) smite those that are doing it. .... by the way that was one of the things suggested by "humble". Should HT step and and start putting some of these people who are "exploiting a bug", in the "penalty box" it may curb this kind of thing.

Don't think HTC should penilize people who are exploiting a bug. They should just try to get a patch out as soon as they can.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Gloves

• Nickel Member
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2007, 03:59:31 PM »
I find it interesting this bug is offensive to you humble, yet you talked about landing many kills yourself using the smoke bug and how it was so much fun to you.  I may be wrong, but to me, you're not being consistent.

Sorry if I have misinterpretted what you're saying.

Glove

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2007, 04:16:50 PM »
Originally posted by The Fugitive

Yep, so true.    You also don't see the skies alight with IL2's anymore.   This is just another example of dweebery at it's finest.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC