Author Topic: Joystick choice  (Read 278 times)

Offline duddini

• Zinc Member
Joystick choice
« on: April 20, 2007, 02:31:35 PM »
Hi all,

I'm a newbie to AH, and I just bought a Saitek Aviator joystick. My cap for a stick was $100, and this cost me about half that, but I'm thinking now I should have asked the guys who know before buying one. Did I choose wisely ??

Thanks for any help

Offline zlehmann

• Zinc Member
Joystick choice
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 04:00:55 PM »
im sure youll get many posts about how you need all this gear to effectively play a combat flight sim. honestly if youre on a budget this is what you need:

a stick with a throttle slider and a rotating Z axis to use for your rudder controls. anything else is nice but not essential.

hope it helps!

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Joystick choice
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 04:06:14 PM »
Ive had no experience with that particular model, but saitek is good mid-grade brand controller.  Looks like you have 4 stick buttons, 4 2-way toggles, 3d-twist, and duel throttle.  Plus a mode switch for alternate stick maps.  If I were in the market for a stick, it sounds like it would be worth consideration.

If you did ask first, I would have said to look at Saitek's if you need to keep it under $100.  Another alternative if you were willing to go used would be to check out Ebay or something for the X-52 or x-45 HOTAS.  Also would have added the caution to stay away from logitec.

Barring any design flaws with that model, sounds like you did ok.

Offline zlehmann

• Zinc Member
Joystick choice
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 04:07:29 PM »
Originally posted by Murdr
Ive had no experience with that particular model, but saitek is good mid-grade brand controller.  Looks like you have 4 stick buttons, 4 2-way toggles, 3d-twist, and duel throttle.  Plus a mode switch for alternate stick maps.  If I were in the market for a stick, it sounds like it would be worth consideration.

If you did ask first, I would have said to look at Saitek's if you need to keep it under $100.  Another alternative if you were willing to go used would be to check out Ebay or something for the X-52 or x-45 HOTAS.  Also would have added the caution to stay away from logitec.

aye the logitec's are certainly not worth the money

Offline FBplmmr

• Silver Member
Joystick choice
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 04:16:30 PM »
some nights i consider unplugging my logitech and flying w/ keyboard 'n mouse.

:(