Author Topic: Conflict Seen in Game Objective  (Read 2464 times)

Offline Its_a_game

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
In a nutshell
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2007, 05:35:47 PM »
There are many players who wish to contribute to an overall effort, i.e. a team effort.  I have heard players in missions say "I been playing this game for years, but tonite I have had the most fun."  

Based on the chatter in the arena, a word to the wise;  a successful business needs to keep their eyes and ears open (SWOT to all you corporate types.)  Many players enjoy the concept of "Your Country has Won the War"

I reiterate, there is a Conflict in the Game Objective.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: In a nutshell
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2007, 05:48:22 PM »
Originally posted by Its_a_game
There are many players who wish to contribute to an overall effort, i.e. a team effort.  I have heard players in missions say "I been playing this game for years, but tonite I have had the most fun."  

Based on the chatter in the arena, a word to the wise;  a successful business needs to keep their eyes and ears open (SWOT to all you corporate types.)  Many players enjoy the concept of "Your Country has Won the War"

I reiterate, there is a Conflict in the Game Objective.

The only conflict is in the mind of those who want everybody play the way they do themself.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
Conflict Seen in Game Objective
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2007, 05:51:02 PM »
All I know is that HiTech and Crew are making and modifying the game the way THEY see fit. It's everyone else's choice, including yours, too play or not- conflict or not.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: In a nutshell
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2007, 06:23:53 PM »
.......I reiterate, there is a Conflict in the Game Objective.

no, there is a conflict in how you view the game.

No I'm not saying that the "Win the War" idea is wrong, nor am I saying the furball is the way to go.

All I'm saying is your idea that everyone must conform to your way of thinking and playing is wrong.

Also should HTC turn there attention to just one way of game play it would be a big mistake and loose them a large percentage of the player base, so again you are wrong. HTC does a very good job of balancing play across many "likes".

So if you don't want to play with the rest of us, take your $15 and go home and play with yourself.

Offline Its_a_game

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2007, 06:39:18 PM »
OK,

So let me understand this.  The OVERALL agreement is that:

Just have FUN.  One METHOD of play is not BETTER than the other.

- Base takers are not milk runners as long as they are having fun
- Flying Bombers is wonderful and they are not bomber dweebs
- Being the best GV shooter is not a dweeb for rolling a GV
- Being the best fighter pilot is fun and enjoyable
- Driving a PT boat to a strat and shooting it with Rockets is fun

We all AGREE that if a player strives everyday to be the best bomber, the most accurate GV shooter or the best Pilot, its all GOOD.  If "Winning the War" occurs during these activities, so be it.  Not one of these activities trumps the other and therefore all activities constitute a well rounded game.

That sounds correct, you agree?

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2007, 06:43:57 PM »
if u don't like it, u can join the freeloaders in H2H and go in FFA

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2007, 07:06:17 PM »
OK,

So let me understand this.  The OVERALL agreement is that:

Just have FUN.  One METHOD of play is not BETTER than the other.

- Base takers are not milk runners as long as they are having fun
- Flying Bombers is wonderful and they are not bomber dweebs
- Being the best GV shooter is not a dweeb for rolling a GV
- Being the best fighter pilot is fun and enjoyable
- Driving a PT boat to a strat and shooting it with Rockets is fun

We all AGREE that if a player strives everyday to be the best bomber, the most accurate GV shooter or the best Pilot, its all GOOD.  If "Winning the War" occurs during these activities, so be it.  Not one of these activities trumps the other and therefore all activities constitute a well rounded game.

That sounds correct, you agree?

No, HTC already said it's not about "Winning the War".

What part about that are you having trouble understanding?

Didn't like the anwser so you are choosing to ignore it?

Winning the War is just a method to promote aerial combat.

The game is about aerial combat.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Its_a_game

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2007, 07:17:23 PM »
Lute:  You are a suppose to be a muckidy-muck with AH.  Can you answer a question honestly?  

Would you place:

an Excellent Bomber;

an Excellent FlakPanzer shot;

equal with a

an Excellent ACM stick ?

Would you consider them Equal in ability on this game, or would one have ability greater than another?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 07:19:39 PM by Its_a_game »

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2007, 07:35:31 PM »
Hmmm, flakpanzers don't need to move to shoot, bombers can run an entire sortie on auto pilot, but fighters have to both move, and actually be controlled by the player. I'd venture a guess that the skilled ACM guy is easily the most learned of the 3.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2007, 07:50:20 PM »
For someone with a name and idea that "Its just a game", you sure are taking it pretty seriously.

Talk about contradicting themselves :rofl

Take your shades and PNG yourself
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Its_a_game

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2007, 07:54:04 PM »
hubsonfire.  That's the first thing you've said constructive.  I appreciate your honesty.  I am interested to hear Lute's take on this issue also.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2007, 08:01:08 PM »
Lute:  You are a suppose to be a muckidy-muck with AH.  Can you answer a question honestly?  

Would you place:

an Excellent Bomber;

equal with a

an Excellent ACM stick ?

Would you consider them Equal in ability on this game, or would one have ability greater than another?

Excellent Bombing can be learned in weeks.

Excellent FlakPanzer shot's can be learned in weeks.

Excellent ACM takes years.

You tell me.

(edit: i'm no muckity much w/ HTC.  I am part of the Campaign Managers staff which puts on the fantastic Special Events we have here (click the Calendar button up top to see what all we do).  CM's are totally voluntary and are in no way "employees" of HTC.  I used to run all the SnapShot's and KOTHS.  I have scaled back to only the Sat. KOTH and will step down from that soon.  I HAVE played this game, (some WW2OL, some WB's, lot's of AW) for 12 yrs ish and have a pretty good "grasp" on what's what.)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 08:06:15 PM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2007, 08:18:55 PM »

Would you place:

an Excellent Bomber;

equal with a

an Excellent ACM stick ?

Why is this "Would you consider them Equal in ability on this game, or would one have ability greater than another? " such an important thing to you? As long as they are all having fun doing what they like that pretty much covers it. Why must someone be rated better?

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2007, 08:29:18 PM »
Here was this guys take on a similar discussion.  If you want to be "good" at playing AH, you need to be able to do it all according to his scoring system.
Originally posted by hitech
This discusion is like 2 guys golfing. 1 guy wins (hence better at golf) the other argues that he is realy better because he can hit the longest drive.

HiTech

Boy that golf scoring system must be totaly screwed, because the best golfer I know of dosn't care to try for a good score any more, and instead just goes out to see how many hole in ones he can make. But lesser players always get better scores. Man that golf score system sucks. It just dosn't reflect who is the better gollfer.

HiTech

Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
You've pretty much made my point that context matters.

If a sizeable number of players in golf suddenly played only to see how many holes in one they could make while everyone else played for score, then the golf scoring system would not provide an accurate measure of skill.  It would rank winners and losers based on existing golf rules, sure, but as a metric for skill it would suffer.

The AH scoring system is a bit more complex to compare to something like a golf score anyway.  I hate to say it, but it seems closer to figure skating than golf.  :)

-- Todd/Leviathn

Bull puppy.

The system would still accuratly provide a measure of golf skill. But your players are no longer playing golf they are now playing a different game. And since your players are not interested in their golf score, they wouldn't even keep track.

So are you interested in playing golf, or do you just want to head to the driving range. Both are perfectly acceptible, but don't try tell the golfers they should forget about it and just go to the driving range instead, because in your view distance is the only TRUE method for messuring a golfers talents.

HiTech

Sounds to me like all three are valid skills, but the best could do well at all three.  Obviously some aspects of the game are harder to master than others.  You would think those who have mastered the hardest aspects would not have much trouble being competent in any other dimension of AH though.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 09:53:58 PM by Murdr »

Offline Its_a_game

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2007, 08:33:54 PM »
Granted the learning curve in a fighter is great, especially since there are so many fighters with unique turning abilities, E rentention, and gunning mastery.

However, I have flown bombers 9K over a CV and had a player shoot me down in 5" guns at 9K.   I have had Osti's shoot me from 3K.   I am not able to master either of those skills in a short period of time.  

Also, aren't there Squads dedicated to Bombing?  I think SK's of the Rooks.  And GV squads like the LTAR's.  If the game really was set up to Win the War, all these "other" vehicles or abilities would be important.  

There was a time that Bombers and GV'rs were look upon with equal respect.  Post September 13th upgrade has truly moved the game toward  Hitech's and Pyro's vision of a air combat game.  I have heard it said in the arena, "The furballer's have won" in MA.

Hope is not lost.  I have also heard chatter of a new FSO or Arena where mission based battles will take place.    Beyond the current Koth and FSO.  Can you shed any light on it?