Author Topic: Armchair General  (Read 1460 times)

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Armchair General
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 10:42:39 AM »
I think it would work ok with little opposition.

I have had great experience with getting fields with 5 or more guys.

I would go with

2 fighters heavy 2 fighters light and 2 gvs

1 osty for town 1 m3.  

The heavies kill VH and leave everything else.  

4 potential planes in cap.  Usually this gives the guy in the town enough time to get it flat and let the troops run whilst the defence is too busy avoiding getting vulched to worry about the town.

From a historical perspective air superiority is a must for any capture.  Even with ord out an IL2 or hurri 2d can kill/disable your gvs with guns only.  So I would lean more to having a strong cap.  Or at least a cap good enough to prevent nme planes getting to the town or harassing gvs.

Also it depends who you are up against sometimes it will be un-organised noobs and sometimes just 1 vet can ruin your day.

Good luck with developing a strategy that suits you and your squad.

Practice makes perfect!

Bruv
~S~
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline MotorOil1

• Copper Member
Armchair General
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 11:40:39 AM »
The problem I have with this strategy is that Gvs simply take too long to get there.  You can launch them in advance but in limited number really have no suppression effectiveness.  I've rarly seen tanks over run an airfield.   Not to say it doesn't work.

The best results I've seen are when the field is taken with speed.  Launch one or two C47s in advance, launch your attack fighters, everyone is NOE, hit the town hard with the C47s coming right in or dropping even before the town is down.  I find that the enemy can 't respond fast enough to get any numbers in the air and definitely no time to run a GV over to the town.  The best executed raids, the airfield is never touched.  Any uppers are intercepted before they can get the goon.  

If you are planning a prolonged assault, then it's usually easier to get a GV in there.  The longer you take to capture a field the more attention it draws and the more difficult it is to take.  Then a strategy that involves taking out the hangers is in order.
MoterOil
-=Most Wanted=-
"These are detestable murderers and scumbags. They detest our freedoms, they detest our society, they detest our liberties." - General Hillier July 14, 2005, on Osama bin Laden and his ilk

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Armchair General
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2007, 12:45:28 PM »
The absolute minimum you need is 2 GV's; an Osti to flatten the town and an M3 to take it.  Anything else is a bonus.

Personally, if i had a few additional players I'd take a second Osti for air defense/backup and a tank for ground defense for the primary Osti and M3 then fly 1-2 light fighters in keeping dar bar to a minimum and making the enemy think that's whats making the base flash and also to drag any uppers away from the town.

This, of course, only works if it's not a heavily utilized/defended field.  If it is you're probably not going to take it with six guys no matter what configuration you use but trying to sneak in the 2 GV's might still be worth a shot.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Armchair General
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2007, 01:38:55 PM »
Originally posted by Yarbles
Yes point taken, but if bombers have obviouly got the base falshing wont the GV'S.....

I spell flashing a bit different than you too :D

All I was pointing out is that the BBS is is a very limited way of putting info "out there". and by reading your first post, it came off sounding like a "this is the way it should be done" type of post as you stated in this part...

I expect this has been said before and there is an obvious error in the thinking but I would suggest in order of priority get the VH, ordanance and bomber hagers down with maybe 4 bombers. Then cap the base using tanks which have set of as the bombers enter Radar range. 3 or 4 tanks on the base should be able to cap the fighters and bombers indefinatley as they wont run out of fuel and the fighters that upped against the initial bombers will be likely to be interceptors. Following fighters will be without ordanance and will not be able to stop the GV'S capping the base.

As Bruv said there are a number of ways to take fields. One of my favorites was 6 p38's fully loaded, crawling along NOE with a goon, never out pacing it till we lite off the rader. Then it was full power,WEP and grab a bit of alt. Mission was to take out VH, town and ack. we could get it done so quick that the goon would just head strait to the town and drop the troops :aok

Of course that was before the new ack layouts. With the same crew it might be a bit harder to do due to attrition from ack. Taking bases in the MA's is a bit harder due to smaller maps with bigger numbers. Front line bases are covered a bit better just due to "over flow".

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
Tactics
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2007, 03:09:37 PM »
Lets see If I can shed some light on here. Since yarbles is in my squad, I would liek for you to understand the tactics involved with this style.

Formost its easy to gain somewhat control over a base, and illiminate the fighters from vulching a field, and finish the town off. We also seem to have a very big problem with the vulch anyway. I have seen this so many times, its not even funny anymore.
1 Plane gets into air from the hanger, and everyone vulching goes after them, and 2 now get up, and cap is lost. No discipline. So its easier to gain the upper hand, by eliinating the threat. the bomber hangers are secoondary , but Im starting to adopt a doctrine of dropping those too.
Actually Im getting to point just level the whole damn place. Looks nicer.

Now, How many planes does it take to do that. This questions goes to the individual, who is in the mission in a plane they should have intimate knowledge of. It is there skill and disciplane, which is the key to the misisons success.

As far as mutliple co-ordinated missions, well lately weve been doing that I thought. You may not be on, when we start doing this because your over in England, but we actually strive for this. Unfortuanlty back to back to back missions get old. So we only do like 2-3 night. Anymore, it would too much like work, inless were on a roll, or its really needed to piss the opponents off :p  But all and all Ill talk with you sometime this evening, and go over tactics offline. I cant give out my best ideas on these forums.

Cheers
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline 68slayr

• Nickel Member
Armchair General
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2007, 07:19:57 PM »
i like 5 110s and a goon.  110s pop 10k from field and WEP it in and hit town with bombs and strafe it down and have the goon drop as 110s make the second pass.  Once town is down 110s head to field and kill fighters/distract them while trps run.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Armchair General
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2007, 06:16:59 AM »
"Actually Im getting to point just level the whole damn place. Looks nicer".

LOL

And dont worry Iam not putting in for CO until I get my rank below 2000  ;)
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Armchair General
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2007, 06:23:51 AM »
Originally posted by The Fugitive
I spell flashing a bit different than you too :D

All I was pointing out is that the BBS is is a very limited way of putting info "out there". and by reading your first post, it came off sounding like a "this is the way it should be done" type of post as you stated in this part...

I am glad we have sorted that little misunderstanding out and will be very carefull not to appear to infringe your rights to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness in the future  
;)
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"

Offline nickf620

• Copper Member
Armchair General
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2007, 06:35:37 AM »
and that isn,t how you spell whether though if you want to spell it like that its ok with me :D

and that isn't a comma in isn't you put an apostrophe in it
Since tour 75

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Armchair General
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2007, 06:38:38 AM »
The only thing I would add to this discussion is that there's more than one way to skin a cat.  I think most experienced players would agree that the VH and ack are the typical top priority target, but it is possible with a well executed plan, and a bit of luck, to take a field by only attacking the town.

Dropping FH's are not without merit.  It is a good way to surpress resistance, while still having a fully functional field within a set time period after its capture.  A problem I often see is porking a fields strats without any thought of the consequences of using the field once it's captured.  Rendering a field difficult or impossible to defend once it's captured should be a last resort and not the norm.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 06:56:13 AM by Murdr »

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Armchair General
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2007, 07:22:16 AM »
Originally posted by nickf620
and that isn't a comma in isn't you put an apostrophe in it

Thanks and please note names are proper npuns and shoul begin with a capital letter as in Nickf620.

Please amend and we will say no more about it.:p
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
One more thing
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2007, 07:51:23 AM »
When I say level it, I didnt mean to drop troops and ords, but most of the time, in a fight over a base. It has been going on for a awhile, before the base was actually taken. So if you two bases within close proximtiy, more then likely the Ords would have been dropped way prior to the actual capture portion. Theres so many damn troop barracks, that to get them all, is fairly rare. Splash damage though, could take it out. though. Seems all the baracks, are located close enough to something to get slpashed. Also when the GV's come out of the woodwork, barracks may get hit also.

But usually a base supply run, can alwas be in the work between missions, so really its not that big of a deal.

What I do want to bring up though, and what has the biggest effect on a base capture is people dropping something on the town prior to an all out assualt however your modis-operandi is. That is I prefer a virgin town. So you dont have the buildings popping when your troops are running. Thats alwas a bummer.

Cheers
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline LTARokit

• Copper Member
Armchair General
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2007, 09:08:21 AM »
Originally posted by Murdr
The only thing I would add to this discussion is that there's more than one way to skin a cat.  I think most experienced players would agree that the VH and ack are the typical top priority target, but it is possible with a well executed plan, and a bit of luck, to take a field by only attacking the town.

Dropping FH's are not without merit.  It is a good way to surpress resistance, while still having a fully functional field within a set time period after its capture.  A problem I often see is porking a fields strats without any thought of the consequences of using the field once it's captured.  Rendering a field difficult or impossible to defend once it's captured should be a last resort and not the norm.

:aok

SA applies whether your in the air, or on the ground............furballing, or GV fighting, or yes even when your trying to take a base.

We've taken bases with as few as 2, and with as many as 20 squad members.  The basic keys are, planning, Timing, and disipline.............and patience.  Have a backup plan ready, in case Plan A fails.

Change some tactics up, keeps the nme's guessing; ie.  3 sets of bombers (or fighters) coming in at different alts (instead of same hgt.), come in from different directions (instead of all from same base and direction)  Timing is everything.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Re: One more thing
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2007, 09:35:44 AM »
What I do want to bring up though, and what has the biggest effect on a base capture is people dropping something on the town prior to an all out assualt however your modis-operandi is. That is I prefer a virgin town. So you dont have the buildings popping when your troops are running. Thats alwas a bummer.

Cheers [/B][/QUOTE]

Point taken, its easy to do more harm than good especially when your new to the game/squad so it makes sense to me to have back up and use less experienced squad members (eg me) in this role. Maybe even a first and second squad setting of at intervals. Then I guess if the base is not taken in time they can also drop the FH, VH again.

I think the FH is again the hardest to deal with as to be effective you need more than one squad member even on a small base and if all are not dropped simutaneously down time is lost. I take the point though about the alternative of capping the base being hard if there is not enough discipline discipline but maybe where possible a gv or two on the ground might help.
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline TexInVa

• Nickel Member
Re: Re: One more thing
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2007, 04:56:19 AM »
I think the FH is again the hardest to deal with as to be effective you need more than one squad member even on a small base and if all are not dropped simutaneously down time is lost. I take the point though about the alternative of capping the base being hard if there is not enough discipline discipline but maybe where possible a gv or two on the ground might help.

Murdr kinda pointed out  why you wouldn't really want to take down the FH's. To me, that is a last resort type option. If the base you're taking ends up being a contended piece of real estate, then the chances that a rescue mission is on the way as soon as you take the base is good. It will be hard to defend if you can't up planes.