Author Topic: Could use some help. Hard Drive Crashed  (Read 1422 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Could use some help. Hard Drive Crashed
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2007, 07:28:58 AM »
Originally posted by Ghosth
Daddog sure seems to me like you have a problem with the boot sector of that drive. If thats the case the sooner you quit messing about with the the better chance you have of recovering data from it in the end.

Go buy a new drive, get it installed, reinstall XP, software, etc.
When system is back up, stable, and functioning then plug the bad drive in and see if you can copy data from it.

Yes that is actually a very good piece of advice. Hard drives are dirt cheap nowadays and you can use the extra space later anyway.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2007, 01:06:48 PM »
TC thanks. Don't worry about it. I have tried everything about 3 times. This is odd.
On the initial boot up it reads the following.
IDE Channel 0 Master – None
IDE Channel 0 Slave – None
IDE Channel 1 Master – Pioneer DVD
IDE Channel 1 Slave – None
IDE Channel 2 Master – None
IDE Channel 2 Slave – Maxtor (my SATA Hard Drive)

Now in the CMOS setup it lists the same thing above, but without my Maxtor SATA Hard Drive. IDE Channel 0 Master – None
IDE Channel 0 Slave – None
IDE Channel 1 Master – Pioneer DVD
IDE Channel 1 Slave – None
IDE Channel 2 Master – None
IDE Channel 2 Slave – None

At this point am going to get a new drive and try what Ghosth suggested. I will take my system in Monday to work (I teach) and with the T1 at school I can download and update everything pronto. Then I will hook up my old drive and see what I can copy over.

I appreciate all the help gents. :) Will post again when it is all resolved. :)
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2007, 01:15:24 PM »
It may also be your motherboard failing so the ide controller starts to drop drives or cause read/write errors. I had a mobo that thrashed my whole harddrive once.

So.. proceed with extreme caution and take backups asap.

Try also completely unplugging your computer - switch it off and remove the power cord for a few seconds. As a weird coincidence my computer also lost one of its drives just last week but a complete cold reboot fixed it.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 01:17:34 PM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2007, 10:04:15 AM »
Sorry I didn't see this thread before.

Is Sondogs' computer able to accept an SATA drive or do you have access to a computer that can?

The recovery requires several physical hard drive transfers between two machines but can be accomplished using only the data wiring if you ground the two computer cases to each other. Install your drive in a working computer and after setting up the new drive in BIOS as a slave, copy all your data folders including everything except the invisible OS files and folders and the WINDOWS folder. This will preserve everything including your cookies, browser bookmarks and email addresses which are always a pain to recover. The OS folders have files that will abort a copy proceedure.

Put your drive back into your machine and reinstall windows.  I recommend partitioning the drive 1/3rd OS vs 2/3rds data during the process so you can avoid these problems in the future.

After you have XP up and have run all the hardware tests, connect the drive back in the machine holding your data and transfer your files back into a folder in your new data partition.  If you saved all the application installers for your programs you'll be back up and running in less then a day including clean up, don't forget to put all the BIOS settings for both machines back to right.

If you use Thunderbird, your email can be imported as well as you address book, but first create a folder named 'Email' on your data partition so you can point Thunderbird there when it asks where to save your email and address book. Using the file types Thunderbird creates in your new email folder, search for your old email and address book.
For Firefox bookmarks, search for bookmarks.html. For IE, search for Favorites. Be sure to use copies until you have it all working but replace your user default bookmark file/folder with the proper one you saved. Cookies are the same, search, make copies and replace the invisible default folder inside C:\Documents and Settings\userID\.

At this point you will have a working machine with your bookmarks and email up and running. You can then reinstall your applications and choose to recover such application settings and configure files as you see fit.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2007, 02:24:53 PM »
Amazingly, I have a similar drive (Maxtor sata 300 gig)  and I had the exact same problem, only mine happened after I formatted. No matter what I did, it just wouldn't take a format and gave me multiple errors due to master/slave status.

I did everything in my ability, formatting, creating partitions (I didn't care about date loss) and such without success. Instead, I went out and got a 10k HD instead from a company I never had problems with in the past (Western Digitial).
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2007, 02:28:51 PM »
I've also had so many Maxtors fail on me that I buy exclusively WD nowadays. I never had one fail on me so far.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2007, 03:04:25 PM »
Originally posted by MrRiplEy[H]
I've also had so many Maxtors fail on me that I buy exclusively WD nowadays. I never had one fail on me so far.

Vis Versa for me the last 10 years.  Still have a 1.2gb Maxtor that can still be fired up.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2007, 08:09:32 PM »
My WD just failed on me... it's only 2 months old!

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2007, 12:21:51 AM »
Have any of you guys ever tried the surface of a running hard drive with your hand? I never make boxes without a 120mm fan blowing air directly on the hd rack. Anymore. After learning the hard way. :aok

Offline Sting138

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2007, 09:57:26 AM »
Daddog,

I worked at Dell for a while and I cant tell you how many Maxtor hdd's we had to replace. Many more than any other brand!

You can however try debugging the hdd. Normally this is done on IDE drives and I wouldn't recommend doing this to a SATA drive but if you cant load anything on it then you dont have much to lose! Youll need to boot to a dos prompt and run a debug script on it then try to reinstall windows. Debugging the drive will move all the bad sectors to one particular area and erase or 0 out all the files on the hdd. YOU WILL LOSE ALL INFO ON THE HDD by running a debug script on it. Also you'll need to reinstall the sata drivers on the hdd to get it to load windows. Make sure you have the drivers downloaded to a floppy and press F6 at the prompt in windows setup. This is just a suggestion but its worth a try and has fixed this issue on a number of occasions even on some SATA drives. You can get a good debug script and info here:
Debug Script and info page

Hope this may help!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 10:03:18 AM by Sting138 »

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2007, 11:43:09 AM »
Question? why is it showing your SATA drive as an IDE drive , and also as a Slave?

1st thought is it should be a Master Drive, 2nd thought, for SATA drives, I thought  you had to manually go into your Bios and pick the option for your boot up to be SATA or other type  verses a true IDE channel....

just curious...seems a miss with the way you have listed what it says......

yes, I agree with Ghosth and Ripley on quickly getting a new HD and  transfering your important/most wanted data.......

Good Luck daddog,
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC