Author Topic: Seeking experienced vets  (Read 879 times)

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
Seeking experienced vets
« on: April 25, 2007, 04:58:49 PM »
i'd like to get a bunch of vets together willing to do a quick write up on their field of expertise and put them all together in a big help file to help everyone in the community advance their skills.

whether your field of expertise is buff gunning, down in the weeds furballing or tanking, i'd like to get together some not-too-long 'articles' and put them together in a post, perhaps a sticky, so that people may use it as a reference and something to help with their learning.

i thought it would be cool to put a more 'advanced' guide together than the basic get you started kind of things around at the moment

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
Seeking experienced vets
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 06:24:44 PM »
i'm not that great of a pilot - at least 40% of the MA players can  totally kick my arse, but i am big on helping out, and i'll try to offer newcomers the next step to becoming slightly better.

My favorite thing to do is simply dogfighting. I find this reaches its peak of fun when i fly the F4U Corsairs. Staying fast (above 250 mph) in furballs and then actually causing massive overshoots in duels in 1 vs 1 situations is the Corsair's specialty. If anything goes wrong, just dive! anything that you can't outdive will be outturned, provided the pilot is of the same skill.

Never forget to read up! Learning every little thing about various aircraft is what made me relatively okay at survival and dodging the pros. I came into the game with a general knowledge of planes, so understanding terms like AoA (Angle of Attack), wingloading, power loading, flaps, lift co-efficient etc etc. and understanding what affect each has on an aircraft is very helpful.

'Cuz knowledge is power! :D
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Seeking experienced vets
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 06:29:39 PM »
I might be willing to help but I'm not sure what you're asking for.  The body of knowledge among us is probably not only limitless but as varied as the individuals and often, putting that into words that another can understand is difficult.

Lets see now... # of contributors times # of areas of gameplay times # of planes/vehicles times # of styles times ... you get the idea... big document/resource.

Who's considered a "vet"?  Is a good player without the years of experience not a valid contributor?  Who edits this? What happens when the game is updated and past knowledge is no longer valid?  Who continually reviews this for relevence?

Not that I think it's a bad idea but that's really what I thought the BBs were for, particularily this forum.  I would bet that, if you read every post in this and a few other forums (General Discussion, Aircraft and Vehicles for instance) you could find most of what you're considering and just copy and paste it together but even at that, who's going to do it?

Just thought I'd ask.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
Seeking experienced vets
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 06:35:39 PM »
If you need help in vulching another account hit me up Ill be glad to teach you! JSUT KINDDIN!

No but really I like the idea biggles!:aok
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
Seeking experienced vets
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 06:49:33 PM »
vet is anyone with some experience in what they're talking about (pretty much anyone but complete noobs :))

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
Seeking experienced vets
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 06:57:28 PM »
well Im out then:rofl
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline Willfly

• Copper Member
Seeking experienced vets
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 07:48:33 PM »
I've been playing AH for years now, though I am not a killer, I could certainly offer help on the "Technicals" of the game such as weapons information. Just tell me something to do and I'll do my best, even if it has nothing to do with "tech."

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Seeking experienced vets
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 08:24:00 PM »
I've been considering a writeup for something along the lines of 'today's your first day of AH' problem is that most people have the attention span of a mosquito on meth.  Perhaps I should write it up and make it a .wav file so they can put it on their ipods ;)

Great idea Biggles.. if I can help let me know
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Seeking experienced vets
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 08:42:07 PM »
There is a wealth of well-written information. The trainers site is being updated as a continuing process, and the netaces site contains excellent, well-written articles. The new and updated content is vetted before posting to maintain continuity and accuracy.

While we all applaud any effort to share knowldge and help our newer players, or anyone hoping to learn or improve, sometimes the information offered by "vets" is anecdotal and not correct. This is particularly true of terminology and the mechanics of flight. But, short "This is how I do it" articles on all of the details within AH would be a good read.

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
Seeking experienced vets
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 09:05:35 PM »
let me know what you want.
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Seeking experienced vets
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 11:52:49 PM »
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline oldtard

• Copper Member
Seeking experienced vets
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 01:33:52 AM »
I THINK THIS IS  GREAT IDEA ( I HAVE ONLY BEEN FLYING ABOUT 9 WEEKS SO I MAY BE WRONG) but this is my 2 coppers worth of knowlege.

I have found a bunch of people that was willing to help me out ( and i really thought they knew what they were talking about so I listened to each and everyone of them),too bad i didnt get the help of some trainers faster.
LET ME GIVE YOU A FEW EXAMPLES
#1 veiws i thought i had all my veiws set and played with these views until last night (it was REN the trainer that showed me 5 move views on 1 hat switch i didnt even kNow was there) REN

#2 I THOUGHT FOR 8 WEEKS I WAS DOING ALL THE BASIC MANUVERS CORRECT BECAUSE PEOPLE SHOWED ME HOW TO DO THEM(iT WASENT UNTIL ROLEX basic class that i understod I
 had wasted 8 weeks ) learning manuvers i thought was correct but was totaly wrong.

now i have found that A LOT OF PEOPLE HAVE GOOD INTENSIONS BUT THAT DOESENT MAKE THEM CORRECT,SO I WOULD LIKE TO THANK A FEW OFF THE TOP OF ME HEAD (these are the people i feel Know talking about and taking there advice got me more kills and or a better understanding of the game.

ROLEX ,GHOSTH.REN (ALL HTC TRAINERS)
ASW,RTR,SHOOTER,ROWDY1,OPTIKER,(GHOSTH AND REN AGAIN)
and others i am sorry if i left you name out (at the time of posting this i am very tired).

everone i just mentioned has been playing for 6+ years and know the ins and outs of this game

i guess my point is no matter what someone tells be 1000% for sure they are reliable and knowelgeable

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
Seeking experienced vets
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 07:52:23 AM »
I have lots of space at netaces for stuff like this. My only restriction is that information provided is correct. There is definately more than one way to skin a cat.

Tactics are like opinions - everybody has one. The more ideas that are presented on any given subject, the more likely it is that someone can find one that works for them.

Regards,

Hammer
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Seeking experienced vets
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 06:36:29 PM »
Originally posted by Major Biggles
vet is anyone with some experience in what they're talking about (pretty much anyone but complete noobs :))

I can help with hurri flying and A20 divebombing...
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Seeking experienced vets
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 02:01:58 AM »
Here is some advice: Don't pick up the soap in the BK shower room.  Stang is lurking.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --