Author Topic: Pilot Avatar - a request for HTC  (Read 779 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Pilot Avatar - a request for HTC
« on: April 25, 2007, 10:48:40 PM »
With the new cockpits looking so pretty I've really started to notice my lack of a body. Sometimes it is quite disturbing to look down and know what it feels like to be the invisible man. It ruins a bit of the immersion in the game.

Likewise when flying close to other aircraft its wierd seeing crewless bombers.

As the game is progressing, and PC's are getting gruntier, I'd love to see crew avatars that stay rendered with the closer LoD. I'd also like to see the pilots lower torso rendered (maybe even animated feet on the pedals and arms on the stick). At a strectch even seeing your wingmans head in a vague direction (even if it is 45 or 30 degree increments) would be cool (ie see him scanning his sky).

I know it sounds minor, but immersion is a big game winner imho.

Pretty please :)

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
Re: Pilot Avatar - a request for HTC
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 02:43:30 AM »
Originally posted by Vulcan

As the game is progressing, and PC's are getting gruntier,

However not all of us have big beefy computers. I can run AH, and fly it, as it seems to get more advanced im faced with having to quit or upgrade (Not easy in NW highlands of Scotland). If these bodies are added its probarbly gonna push my system over the brink. Have pity on those who simply cannot afford a huge top of the range system
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 02:57:51 AM »
Maybe they could make it switchable-on/off.:eek:

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 06:14:09 AM »
"woah! that's one helluva head wound ya got there bob."

:aok
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline Hazzer

• Copper Member
      • Fleetwood town F.C. Cod Army
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 06:24:58 AM »
omg homo - erotic post:O
"I murmured that I had no Shoes,till I met a man that had no Feet."

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
Re: Re: Pilot Avatar - a request for HTC
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 06:51:04 AM »
Originally posted by macleod01
However not all of us have big beefy computers. I can run AH, and fly it, as it seems to get more advanced im faced with having to quit or upgrade (Not easy in NW highlands of Scotland). If these bodies are added its probarbly gonna push my system over the brink. Have pity on those who simply cannot afford a huge top of the range system

With this arguement you are saying that the game should stop evolving no new graphics nor other features should be added. Rendering polygons is not the only thing that adds a strain to the performance of your pc. For example physics calcuations cost a lot of cpu time as well.

If HTC should focus on "sparing the bottom edge computers" then the game wouldnt be evolving at all. A game that is not evolving is decaying as competitors are evolving. No one wants to play a game thats on the decay, especially pay to play games.

If you dont want to upgrade your computer then your only option is to buy boxed games that can be played on it and not download any patches for them. That way they wount outgrow your computer.

Tex

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 07:35:52 AM »
I wonder if we could get that old bomber co-pilot from AW?

Wish I'd saved a picture.  Always something to brighten your day when the going got tough.

- oldman

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
Re: Re: Pilot Avatar - a request for HTC
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 08:46:09 AM »
Originally posted by macleod01

Isn't that what the detail sliders are for?
"The lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks." - Ren & Stimpy

Ingame- Ozone

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 10:54:07 AM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
I wonder if we could get that old bomber co-pilot from AW?

Wish I'd saved a picture.  Always something to brighten your day when the going got tough.

- oldman

Which one?

I'm sure you mean this one:

But there are more....

B-17:

JU 88:

Betty:

C-47

The A-26 had C-47's brother.  Strange, since the A-26 didn't actually have a co-pilot.

They all say Hi.

:p

wrngway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline -SR-

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 11:12:12 AM »
I always wondered why the A26 guy never looked ahead. I guess he liked the look of my always flaming rt engine.

-SR-:noid

Offline Laurie

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 11:15:46 AM »
I think it would be a good addition.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 11:31:20 AM »
Originally posted by AWwrgwy
Which one?

Thanks, wrongway.  I was thinking of the "are you out of your mind?" Betty pilot.

- oldman

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 11:35:29 AM »
I've once requested this in the past also.

The rationale behind having the pilot figures disappear at certain distances might have something to do with performance issues.. but I hardly think it would bother performance much with most high-end systems the gamers are using these days.

I've asked HTC to change the distance the pilot figure disappears so the pilot can be observed upto more further distances... but with no avail.

Offline Engine

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 11:38:21 AM »
PLEASE do not add any pilot models. They always wind up looking incredibly silly, and no matter if you -think- you can do it right.... it will inevitably look ridiculous.

See pictures above.

Offline Engine

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 11:40:50 AM »
Additionally, it would really freak me out if I constantly had to look over and see that guy in the Betty pic staring at me in that "Well? Are you happy with yourself, *******?" expression.

When I switched back to forward view, I'd still know he's giving me the whoopeeed look.