Author Topic: The Map Legend  (Read 810 times)

Offline TheBigO

• Zinc Member
The Map Legend
« on: April 29, 2007, 06:26:45 PM »
On the map, you can pull up a legend. It says what each icon is.
My question is, what does it matter ?
If I go blow up the command post or radar factory, does that mean the enemy cant see anything on the map or they cant make missions anymore ?
Or is it just for show?

Thanks. :huh

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: The Map Legend
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 06:36:19 PM »
Originally posted by TheBigO
On the map, you can pull up a legend. It says what each icon is.
My question is, what does it matter ?
If I go blow up the command post or radar factory, does that mean the enemy cant see anything on the map or they cant make missions anymore ?
Or is it just for show?

Thanks. :huh

If you take down HQ, enemy won't have any radar for a time, or until he does resupply it. However, taking out another country's HQ is quite difficult and usually can't be done by one pilot alone.

Attacking the other strategic targets like ammo & fuel factories has some, but quite minor effect on gameplay... usually its not even noticeable. But that shouldn't keep you fromattacking factories if you think it's fun to you ;)

You can read more about strategic targets here
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
The Map Legend
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 06:37:50 PM »
Hi there, Big O.

The help file (Link >>) explains all that. Check the Game Play section.

Offline zorstorer

• Silver Member
The Map Legend
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 09:12:54 PM »
Originally posted by Rolex
Hi there, Big O.

The help file (Link >>) explains all that. Check the Game Play section.

Rolex that link just takes you to the home page ;)  Not sure if you wanted to link the training portion of the site...just a FYI :D

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
The Map Legend
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 11:23:19 PM »
Sorry, I didn't spell it out and forgot about the frames... :)

The home page has a menu on top. Mouse over the far right menu, "Community, " and click the first entry, "Help."

The Game Play Section is in the left frame.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
The Map Legend
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 01:08:49 AM »
Oooh! My specialty!

Bomb the following in this order for the following reasons:

AAA- Most points per building destroyed. Makes it take longer for base ack to come back.

Radar- second most points. Makes radar take longer to come back.

City- least points, but makes all other strat things take longer to come back, which means that the things they extend take even LONGER.

Fuel- Makes fuel take longer to come back. Nothing like leaving those poor Spitfire and La-7 pilots stranded due to fuel shortages... (Also leaves a VERY pretty fire!)

Ammo- Makes ammo take longer to come back, and nothing like leaving people without ordenance to fly their precious lanc-stukas!

HQ- Absolutely useless. Just fun to set on fire.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
The Map Legend
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 05:54:06 AM »
Originally posted by Serenity
Oooh! My specialty!

HQ- Absolutely useless. Just fun to set on fire.

Of all targets you listed, the only one not nominated for being "most useless target in AH2" is in fact the HQ.
It's the only target which has an immideate and noticeable impact if destroyed - a whole country has no radar, including all friendly contacts. A severe disadvantage.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
The Map Legend
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 06:07:14 AM »
Originally posted by Lusche
Of all targets you listed, the only one not nominated for being "most useless target in AH2" is in fact the HQ.
It's the only target which has an immideate and noticeable impact if destroyed - a whole country has no radar, including all friendly contacts. A severe disadvantage.

I dont think it is that much of a disadvantage. For the most part, you KNOW where the enemy is. The dar-bars are still there, so its not much of a mystery. At least the other have the ability to prevent you from taking fire, and things like ordenance and fuel can actually prevent certain aircraft from taking off. Its easier to search a 25 mile by 25 mile grid, than it is if you cannot fly your spitfire (Or other high-burn aircraft) or cannot launch a bomber to attack or defend a base without fighter hangars. I judge importance as actual damage as opposed to potential damage. HQ provides the greatest potential damage in my oppinion, but removing FLAK or aircraft from the sky provides the greatest actual damage. Just my personal oppinion though.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
The Map Legend
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 06:20:06 AM »
Taking out ammo factory doesn't stop a plane from taking off with bombs, it slows the automatic re-supply of a damaged field. You still have to take out the ammo at the fields.

Same with ack and fuel factories. Taking out the HQ on the other hand does destroy ALL radar including the dar bars, at least it use to. Made it very difficult to fight, unless you were working a furball some place. Many a time I've been part of the massive resupply of an HQ to get dar back.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
The Map Legend
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 06:20:44 AM »
I dont think it is that much of a disadvantage. For the most part, you KNOW where the enemy is. The dar-bars are still there, so its not much of a mystery. At least the other have the ability to prevent you from taking fire, and things like ordenance and fuel can actually prevent certain aircraft from taking off. Its easier to search a 25 mile by 25 mile grid, than it is if you cannot fly your spitfire (Or other high-burn aircraft) or cannot launch a bomber to attack or defend a base without fighter hangars. I judge importance as actual damage as opposed to potential damage. HQ provides the greatest potential damage in my oppinion, but removing FLAK or aircraft from the sky provides the greatest actual damage. Just my personal oppinion though.

There are NO dar-bars of any kind when your countries HQ is destroyd. You have no indication of any enemy or friendly contatcs around other than a flashing base.  You don't know if there are none or one hundred enemies in a sector you flying into, you don't know if there are other friendly cons around or inbound. Every black dot you spot could be an an enemy, for you can't even check map to see if it's possibly a friendly.  That's an disadvantage as huge as it can get in this game...

On the other hand, to have a real effect for the other strat targets, you first have to destroy the city, then the strat target, and then you have to pork the individual fields. That needs a huge coordinated effort and effectively removes a lot of players from the "frontline" for extended time.
If you just bomb a strat like AA factory as a  single player, the results are clearly negligible...

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
The Map Legend
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 08:22:41 AM »
Originally posted by Lusche
There are NO dar-bars of any kind when your countries HQ is destroyd. You have no indication of any enemy or friendly contatcs around other than a flashing base.  You don't know if there are none or one hundred enemies in a sector you flying into, you don't know if there are other friendly cons around or inbound. Every black dot you spot could be an an enemy, for you can't even check map to see if it's possibly a friendly.  That's an disadvantage as huge as it can get in this game...

On the other hand, to have a real effect for the other strat targets, you first have to destroy the city, then the strat target, and then you have to pork the individual fields. That needs a huge coordinated effort and effectively removes a lot of players from the "frontline" for extended time.
If you just bomb a strat like AA factory as a  single player, the results are clearly negligible...

Really? I remember still getting a dar-bar, but its been such a long time since an HQ raid succeded...

As far as nailing the strats, it really only takes 6 people. With the proper skill and saturation, 3 people can take out the city, with 3 more on any other strategic target. Alone I can bring AAA down to 40% with B-17Gs. If I were in Lancasters... And porking the base is quite easy. A heavy P-38L will do the trick. Again, im just saying that from my perspective. As a bomber, I play to points game, how many points per building, and the HQ is like a CV. A lot of effort, a lot of danger, requires a LOT of luck, and gives you 5 points, where as AAA gives you upwards of 20.

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
The Map Legend
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 08:47:39 AM »
HQ down = no dar bar or dot dar

Regards,

Hammer
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
The Map Legend
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 10:39:18 AM »
Serenity,  Think about the chain of supply.

If you take out HQ all radar is gone for that country.  All you see is a map with maybe a few flashing bases.  No dots.  No Darbar.  Just the map.  There is no supply chain to HQ other than the trains/convoys.  HQ can't be taken down by a single player though.

With the other strats work out from the field.

If you take something down at the field it's down for say 15 minutes.

If you take something down at the field plus take down the strat that suppplies it it's down for lets say an hour.

If you take something down at the field plus take down the strat that supplies it plus take down the city it's down for let's say three hours.

If you work that plan the other way it does nothing until the "something" at the field is down.

That said if you like to bomb strats then by all means go ahead.  It just might help as long as there's people out at the other end working the fields.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
The Map Legend
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 01:24:43 PM »
........I play to points game, how many points per building, ......

I think this part of his statment explains it all :D  Stratigy is not the top of his list.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
The Map Legend
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 06:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by The Fugitive
I think this part of his statment explains it all :D  Stratigy is not the top of his list.

Um, yes it is. And when I can get Overlag or another good Strat bomber with me, we leave them feeling it hours later. Its just a matter of finding people with the patience to fly that far...