Author Topic: Why I'll never own a Pit Bull  (Read 3788 times)

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Why I'll never own a Pit Bull
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2007, 08:13:14 PM »
Atoon,

Of all breeds available, why did you choose a Pitt Bull?

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2007, 08:22:50 PM »
Regardless of the fact that there are good pitbulls out there, I don't see the harm in making it mandatory to neuter/spay each dog until the breed simply is gone.  Not like anyone will lose their family pet that way.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Atoon

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2007, 08:24:55 PM »
My first was actually my fathers choice, I was only 4-5, couldnt tell ya why other than we got it from one of his buddies. I guess it has just been tradition after that. Plus they were all great dogs, so I never felt the desire to switch.
Thanx for addressing the signature issue FAIRLY, I am morally aloud to patronize your business again. I am Anton & Uknome, Current game-ID Anton1.   *-Brown Nosers STINK!-*

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2007, 08:33:31 PM »
Originally posted by culero
I'm a dog lover, but rabies is a legitimate problem where I live.
Same here. I also live in a rural area and people seem to think if they don't want a dog it's fine to turn it loose here. We have packs of wild dogs now. They kill calves and small livestock. I normally use my 8mm Mod98 or my .45.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2007, 10:03:57 PM »
It wouldnt bother me to see that breed die out.

~AoM~

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2007, 11:43:43 PM »
Originally posted by Atoon
Its not the breed, its the owner.

Give me a break, that is nonsense.

They are bred to kill, they don't attack to scare you away. It's their instinct to kill, and anything can trigger it.  A domestic argument, 2 kids fighting after school, etc. And once that instinct is triggered, there is no turning back, it's in their blood, and better hope you're not the one in it's path.

Roy thought the same thing, it's not the tiger, it's the owner.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2007, 11:52:13 PM »
Originally posted by Sixpence

Roy thought the same thing, it's not the tiger, it's the owner.

That right there is the best anti-Pitbull argument I've ever heard.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2007, 12:11:38 AM »
Originally posted by Sixpence
Give me a break, that is nonsense.

Actually no it isn't.

Offline Cougar68

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2007, 12:19:22 AM »
Originally posted by Slash27
Actually no it isn't.

Yes it is.  You can't have a dog bred with the instinct to kill and be suprised when it does that very thing.  My dogs are herders.  They may go their entire life without having a chance to round something up.  But I won't be suprised one bit if they try to bunch together a flock of geese or something.  Instinct is instinct.  They give no warning, it just happens.  I've seen too many "perfectly friendly and innocent" pit bulls try to tear someone's head off to believe otherwise.

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2007, 12:24:56 AM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
Typical response from you.

actually, Yes. It's about what you can expect. Am I supposed to be offended at your recognition?

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2007, 12:25:14 AM »
Maybe 30 or 40 years ago it was nonsense, but not today. They have been abnormally bred for aggression. If people put the same effort into breeding passivity into them they might be harmless loving pets now.

But, that wouldn't make you think your 3" Johnson is an 8" Johnson now would it?
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2007, 12:48:54 AM »
Originally posted by Vudak
Regardless of the fact that there are good pitbulls out there, I don't see the harm in making it mandatory to neuter/spay each dog until the breed simply is gone.  Not like anyone will lose their family pet that way.

So, I take it you wouldn't see the harm in someone deciding that YOUR pet MUST be spayed or neutered because THEY feel THAT breed has a few examples that are dangerous.

And I don't own a pit bull, nor do I have the desire to.

But what breed is next, after pit bulls? Honestly, a few months back, a local woman was killed by two Great Pyranees. Wasn't the first time for that breed either. Akitas? German Shepherds? Dobermans? So, where do you draw the line?

You don't see the harm in making an entire breed extinct, over the poor behavior of a few examples. That's a very interesting position. It has all sorts of possibilities.

Not directed at anyone in particular:[/I]

Mass hysteria, generalizations, and stereotyping, all in one thread. Not to mention placing ALL blame squarely on a particular breed (could just as easily be a group of another type) without regard to the specific owners and animals involved. Very interesting and enlightening.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2007, 12:52:13 AM »
Enlightening?  You do know which group of people you're talking to, right?
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2007, 12:53:17 AM »
Originally posted by rpm
Maybe 30 or 40 years ago it was nonsense, but not today. They have been abnormally bred for aggression. If people put the same effort into breeding passivity into them they might be harmless loving pets now.

But, that wouldn't make you think your 3" Johnson is an 8" Johnson now would it?

I can name a 1/2 dozen breeds that have been screwed up by poor breeding. So, your "pee pee" fixation aside, how many of the other breeds to we make extinct? Before you start advocating the eradication of an entire breed of animals over the actions of a few, you might consider what direction that takes you in. Once things get headed in that direction, it might just get real hard to stop, or change directions.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2007, 12:54:05 AM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
Enlightening?  You do know which group of people you're talking to, right?

Absolutely. Like I said, not anyone in particular. Just interesting and enlightening  to see what "comes out" in some situations.

SaVaGe