Author Topic: Why I'll never own a Pit Bull  (Read 3839 times)

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
Why I'll never own a Pit Bull
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2007, 09:56:48 AM »
Originally posted by Gunthr
i would never, ever own a pitbull for residential purposes.  beyond their breeding as fighting dogs, and reputation, i think there is bite data supporting the higher rate of bites and higher level of damage per bite incident for pitbulls.  not sure tho, but for me it doesn't matter. my mind is made up.  there are enough vicious attacks by pitbulls in Florida to convince me that i wouldn't have one.  they seem to have a penchant for ripping the faces off children.

Got you right here.

Breeds of dogs involved in human dog-bite related fatalities (DBRF) in the United States, by 2-year period, between 1979 and 1998.

Purebreeds:
Pit bull-type - 66
Rottweiler - 39
German Shepherd - 17
Husky-type - 15
Malamute - 12
Doberman - 9
Chow Chow -  8
Great Dane - 7
Saint Bernard - 7

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2007, 10:18:05 AM »
interesting Indy...  im thinking that it might partly be a nature vs nurture thing  i.e,  pitbulls may be owned by a larger percentage of people who want a dangerous dog, and people who desire a dangerous dog may be more inclined to be irresponsible owners.
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Atoon

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2007, 10:18:23 AM »
Its pretty clear no one is going to convince anyone to change their minds.
I base my opinion  on the dogs I have known & raised in my life, and no one can change any of that. I believe what I see & know in person more than what I read from todays media. I'm not saying these cases didnt happen, just that I trust my own experiences more than the media.

My dogs are companions first & then home protection. They sleep with my kids & I dont worry about child abductors. I dont worry about someone breaking into my house while I'm at work, and stealing my pit bull to use in some other crime. No one will ever wrestle my pit bull away from me, and use it against me. A weapon will not pull your unconcious body out of a burning building. I could go on & on, but it's time for work, & you get my point.
Thanx for addressing the signature issue FAIRLY, I am morally aloud to patronize your business again. I am Anton & Uknome, Current game-ID Anton1.   *-Brown Nosers STINK!-*

Offline red26

• Silver Member
      • http://www.red25s.zoomshare.com
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2007, 10:18:25 AM »
Hey guys thanks for making me feel like im from the getto or that im trash for owning a pitt-bull I have owned qiute a few in my time. I have had game pitts too the game pitt is also the (north american pitt-bull) I have had Dove, Pitt, Mix's. Its all how you raise the dog. If I take a dog any dog make it drag a tire around and every time a dog walks by make it sick the dog and keep it in a little fenced in area then its going to be mean I dont care if it is a jack russel or a toy poodle. I love pitts and not for the "mine is bigger than yours attitude" they are good dogs if you teach them right. So just so everyone knows Im not Trash I live in a 3 bedroom 3 bath home in Carrollton Tx, IM NOT TRASH. Ok now if you would like there is a new breed of pitt out there called a BULLY there not mean they are breed with a english bull and a pitt they are great dogs too there also show dogs I work for a place the has the dog shows for them and we had 300 bullys in one room no fights and no bites. SO next time you want to all some one trash because they own a certan kind of dog think agian please?

RED26:aok
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 10:21:45 AM by red26 »
US ARMY LEAD THE WAY

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2007, 10:23:56 AM »
So just so everyone knows Im not Trash I live in a 3 bedroom 3 bath home in Carrollton Tx, IM NOT TRASH. -Red

hey, c'mon Red,  thats like Monica Lewinski saying "I am not a fat, cheezy slut!"

just kidding :)   there is plenty of wiggle room exceptions for good pitbull owners... and good pitbulls
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline red26

• Silver Member
      • http://www.red25s.zoomshare.com
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2007, 10:25:52 AM »
Gunthr

there SIR:aok
US ARMY LEAD THE WAY

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2007, 10:32:40 AM »
Originally posted by Gunthr
interesting Indy...  im thinking that it might partly be a nature vs nurture thing  i.e,  pitbulls may be owned by a larger percentage of people who want a dangerous dog, and people who desire a dangerous dog may be more inclined to be irresponsible owners.

I'll agree with that. I've met some pits that were absolute sweet hearts. Never bit anybody their entire lives and made for perfect pets. They also had good owners that exercised them relentlessly, and made sure they had plenty of time to socialize with people and dogs. I've come to the conclusion a tired dog is a lot nicer, easier to handle.

On the other hand, I've met pit bulls that needed to be put down because the owner was a total sweetheart. On one occasion, a friend of my fathers was attacked outside his house by a pit. It latched onto his arm and wouldn't let go. He grabbed it by the collar and carried it, still on his arm, into his house to call 911. The dog choked to death and never let go.

It's part genetics, part ownership. A more aggressive breed needs a stronger pack leader. Somebody that's walking their pit, that gets nervous whenever they see somebody else out, or another dog, is going to create a very aggressive reaction in their own dog in its effort to protect them.

Lets just all be very happy than Caucasian Mountain Dogs have not been popularized. They were insanely rare until the fall of the Soviet Union (Soviet Army had the monopoly). They're very large, and get aggressive at just a few weeks old. They've been known to attack cars driving by since it's a threat to their property. Awesome, beautiful dogs... but I wouldn't want anybody short of Cesar Milan to own one anywhere near me.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 10:34:53 AM by indy007 »

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2007, 11:01:25 AM »
Someone posted a stat before that hads sheps at the top of the list.  I'd be very interested to see how many of those fatal bites were caused under legitimate protection to the owners or their property, rather than random mauling.  I'm sure there are some random attacks, but the GSD, and husky breeds for that matter are nothing like pitts, dovers or rotti's.

My neighboor a couple houses down had a pitbull.  The animal had the best of owners, and recieved more exercize and attention than any other dog could dream of.  I was around the dog since it was a pup until six years old....Never had a problem with him.  Always friendly as can be.  Then out of no where the dog charged me (owner caught him on the leash).  Within 8 months the animal bit five people, one serious, and was put down.

Since then, I will NEVER trust a pit bull.  If you like them, then you like them.  Fine.  I don't find them to be attractive, nor intelligent animals.  You can keep your pitts, just keep those freaks of nature away from me.

GSD's rule!

<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2007, 11:06:48 AM »
Originally posted by cav58d
Someone posted a stat before that hads sheps at the top of the list.  I'd be very interested to see how many of those fatal bites were caused under legitimate protection to the owners or their property, rather than random mauling.  I'm sure there are some random attacks, but the GSD, and husky breeds for that matter are nothing like pitts, dovers or rotti's.

Not sure about circumstances, but deaths from Police & Guard dogs were discounted in the tally, so it's actually probably somewhat higher for GSD as far as a pure total. Some others were thrown out also... death from infection after the attack, mycrodial infraction after being chased, and a few more.

Offline -CodyC

• Copper Member
« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2007, 11:33:04 AM »
Beautiful dog cav...:aok

Offline myelo

• Silver Member
« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2007, 01:32:59 PM »
While pit bulls and rotweillers acount for most of the dog bite fatalities, over 30 breeds have been involved in fatal bites, including recently a pomeranian.

Overall though, despite the widespread publicity, fatal dog bites are extremely rare, usually about 20 per year in the US. Miniscule.

What's not rare though are nonfatal dog bites, about 5 million a year, with 800,000 a year needing medical attention. And pit bulls are not the most common breed to inflict bites. Mixed breeds are.
myelo
Bastard coated bastard, with a creamy bastard filling

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2007, 01:44:17 PM »
Good info here.

Good points to know:

* Dog bites to people of the male gender are approximately two times greater than the incidence involving females.

* Dogs that are licensed with an identifiable owner are implicated in the vast majority of dog bites (compared with strays).

* The list of breeds most involved in both bite injuries and fatalities changes from year to year and from one area of the country to another, depending on the popularity of the breed.

* The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention document that a chained dog is 2.8 times more likely to bite than an unchained dog.

* Canines not spayed or neutered are three times more likely to bite than sterilized ones.

*  According to the Insurance Information Institute, dog bites accounted for about one-quarter of all claims on homeowner's insurance, costing more than $321 million in 2003. In 2002, the latest year for which numbers are available, the average claim for a dog bite was $16,600.

*     Dog attacks account for one-third of all liability claims on homeowners' insurance policies. According to the Western Insurance Information Service, the insurance industry paid out more than $1 billion in dog-bite claims in 1998 alone.

* In the United States, pit bulls make up one to three per cent of the overall dog population and cause more than 50 per cent of serious attacks.

* Of the 27 people who died as a result of dog bite attacks in 1997 and 1998, 67% involved unrestrained dogs on the owner's property; 19% involved unrestrained dogs off the owner's property; 11% involved restrained dogs on the owner's property; and 4% involved a restrained dog off the owner's property.

* In a study reported by a retired professor from California State University at Chino, Robert Plum, it was found that one dog in 55 will bite someone seriously during the course of a year. With respect to breed differences in the tendency to inflict serious injury, Plumb estimates that when a pit bull bites a human, one in 16 (e.g. 1/16) will inflict serious injury; this contrasts with a ratio of 1/296 Dobermans, and 1/156 German shepherds.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2007, 03:42:55 PM »
Originally posted by -CodyC

Drediock,i love dogs to death, but you should really be asking what good is a group of stray dogs in the country?  They are going to need to find a food source, if it's not your livestock then it's your garbage cans.  With stray groups there is no telling what they are capable of and it is best for all if they are put down.

A "Group" of stray dogs is one thing.
But just killing "A" dog cause it happens to be on your property?

c'mon man
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Atoon

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2007, 04:48:28 PM »
Originally posted by indy007
Got you right here.

Breeds of dogs involved in human dog-bite related fatalities (DBRF) in the United States, by 2-year period, between 1979 and 1998.

Purebreeds:
Pit bull-type - 66
Rottweiler - 39
German Shepherd - 17
Husky-type - 15
Malamute - 12
Doberman - 9
Chow Chow -  8
Great Dane - 7
Saint Bernard - 7

Mixed breeds= 90
Wich is almost 25% more than pit-bull types. I wonder why you chose to leave that particular part of the study out?

Using the numbers logic, we should ban any/all mixed breed animals.
Thanx for addressing the signature issue FAIRLY, I am morally aloud to patronize your business again. I am Anton & Uknome, Current game-ID Anton1.   *-Brown Nosers STINK!-*

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2007, 05:17:52 PM »
Originally posted by red26
Hey guys thanks for making me feel like im from the getto or that im trash for owning a pitt-bull I have owned qiute a few in my time. I have had game pitts too the game pitt is also the (north american pitt-bull) I have had Dove, Pitt, Mix's. Its all how you raise the dog. If I take a dog any dog make it drag a tire around and every time a dog walks by make it sick the dog and keep it in a little fenced in area then its going to be mean I dont care if it is a jack russel or a toy poodle. I love pitts and not for the "mine is bigger than yours attitude" they are good dogs if you teach them right. So just so everyone knows Im not Trash I live in a 3 bedroom 3 bath home in Carrollton Tx, IM NOT TRASH. Ok now if you would like there is a new breed of pitt out there called a BULLY there not mean they are breed with a english bull and a pitt they are great dogs too there also show dogs I work for a place the has the dog shows for them and we had 300 bullys in one room no fights and no bites. SO next time you want to all some one trash because they own a certan kind of dog think agian please?

RED26:aok

Anyone who has stated that Pit Bulls are only owned by gangsta trash who want to look tough clearly is generalizing and is off base.  Pit bulls are owned by by gangsta trash who want to look tough AND by redneck trash who want to look tough.