Author Topic: use at bar  (Read 1327 times)

Offline yyrkoon

• Zinc Member
use at bar
« on: May 04, 2007, 10:56:57 AM »
I used to be a big AW fan waaaaaay back when and I have been dabbleing in AH2 here and there over the years, but it was an expense cut out of my life when the kids came in....

Well, i own a bar, and I am looking into making it a sort of internet cafe type place. We are close to an airport and I have a few regulars that used to fly p-51s and such so I am thinking of allowing people to fly on the Big screen tv. I will require they have thier own account, but they would be paying for the internet access.  Some of my conservative software license type folks tell me this is likely to still be illeagal in some way because it is a public place... not private..

so before i build the system and run the wires, i was hoping to hear if this sounds legit or is it better to nip it at the bud...

My main modivation is so I can have an account that is now covered by the business and I would get to fly on a 64" screen in a place where my beer is free:}

thoughts?

oh, and shout out to any and all old members of the Air warrior 4thfg... mute, boozer, popeye and several others :}

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
WOW.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 11:08:26 AM »
Doesnt sound illegal to me, but I would suggest you write an email to HT themselves, and explaining the situation. IF the vendor says yes, then I say, I would like to come down and have few with ya.

Good luck Sounds friggin kewl
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
use at bar
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 11:16:12 AM »
Only problem is, you'd be letting other folks play as you.

Other than that, AH is a long-session-game, meaning you can fly 40-60 minutes for 1 sortie. Are most patrons going to want to devote that much time to a game they probably don't know how to fly? AH isn't very intuitive for first-timers :D

I'm pretty sure it'd be legal (I'm no lawyer), but I don't know if it'd be useful, practical, or entertaining for the folks paying for it (your customers).

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
use at bar
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 11:30:33 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty

I'm pretty sure he means they would have their own AH accounts.

But the best thing to do at this point is send an email to HTC and see what they have to say about it.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline KayBayRay

• Copper Member
use at bar
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 11:32:38 AM »
Dont know about the legal aspects as I am just an Engineer. Common sense tells me that if you have patrons with their own AHII account and you have a "Non-Pirated" internet connection I dont see the problem. However maybe there is one somewhere in all that.

The only potential issue I see is your patrons may not take to it the way you hope. I think that a bit of light hearted competitive ribbing from  you and your staff and other patrons could build an interest. Maybe something like "Friday Night Fighter Beer Brawls" .. or a Free Beer for every 3 kills landed on a single flight Wednesday special... I dont know.. just some thoughts. Might start something fun. :cool:

Best of Luck to you though :aok

Later,
KayBay
See ya in the Sky !!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: use at bar
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 11:33:05 AM »
Originally posted by yyrkoon
... I will require they have thier own account, but they would be paying for the internet access.  

I think this pretty much covers it. I'd think the only problem HTC would have is if you let others fly on YOUR AH account seeing as that is against HTC polices. They have internet cafe all over, so I don't see where sharing an internet connection would be a problem.

With a nice big screen like that, and a full control set up, I can see one guy renting the chair for an hour, flying on his account, and have all his buddies standing around drinking and commenting on his flight. Sounds like a mini convention !

Call HTC and double check, but sounds like a plan to me  :aok

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
use at bar
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 11:37:25 AM »
its legal for sure but i would not do the MAs with it i would do the H2H arenas that way it dont matter what they do most of them dont demand 40-60 minutes to do one mission, as to the H2H arena, its up fly and fight
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline Gaidin

• Silver Member
use at bar
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 11:44:47 AM »
We had something similar to this when I was in the Military.  There where 6 machines and 6 32" screens.  People came in and had Halflife tourny's and other Online game tournaments.  If you had the capital to have more than 1 machine you could hold fighter contest and things.
Death is but a doorway to life, only those who fear life fear its opening.

Ingame: 68Gaidin

Proud Member of the CM Team
FSO - Admin

Offline yyrkoon

• Zinc Member
use at bar
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 12:24:27 PM »
It is a small place, so I only have room for one big screen. We have a few regulars that are former pilots and they seem very interested. The bar decorations are mostly Nascar and P-51s... I would have it so people would have to book time to play as we cannot have them interfereing with sports events.  The regulars are super compettitive amongst each other as well, so I could see it as a possiblity... at this point it is still in the 'designing stage'.

We are also looking at the Nascar online stuff and a few others as well. It is possible I may have enough interest to havbe more than one hookup...

I will contact HTC before i go live, but was kinda hoping to hear from them before that...

perhaps there would be a business account available where i could pay a bit more, but it would allow me to have others fly my account.  I have to have a means to get people to try it.... I mean people could always sign up for a 2 week trial, but i think that HTC would not want the extra accounts created if they might not pan out.

Offline Coach

• Copper Member
use at bar
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 12:39:13 PM »
Check with MDMTX.  He has a sports bar here in Dallas where Aces High is flown by patrons with much success.  Cheers!:aok

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
use at bar
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 01:29:46 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty

First there was "Krusty's math", now there is "Krusty's reading comprehension", coming next..........Krusty's guide and direction book for Play-doh!:aok

Mark

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
use at bar
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007, 01:53:40 PM »
64" screen?

free account?

free beer?

are you God?

your servant,

Boner:cool:
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
use at bar
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007, 02:25:38 PM »
H2H would be cool in a bar.

Except for the sticky, beer and vomit covered joysticks and throttles.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
use at bar
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007, 04:49:47 PM »
Make em use a mouse!

~AoM~

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
use at bar
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2007, 05:02:23 PM »
What Skyrock's attempt at humor didn't consider was this:

I was typing too fast, meant to go back and insert a line of text in there, but got distracted here at work and hit submit.

Here's the missing sentence, and it clears up my post a bit:

Folks that already have subs are a small minority of your customers, you'll probably have to supply the login.

:aok
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 05:05:35 PM by Krusty »