Author Topic: Yak 9  (Read 960 times)

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
Yak 9
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2007, 12:31:02 AM »
Originally posted by Serenity
Hey, how should the Yak be flown? TnB? BnZ?

The 9T is a bit of a bobsled: Great, as long as it's going downhill.

The plane handles well at high speeds, and retains speed very well after the dive. However it's total crap at climb/acceleration. So once you invest your E, it takes a while to bank more. If you get low, you're going to get slow, and when that happens...

But with a little Alt, you can really surprise the bastards on the deck. Drop down into the fray and you should have a few turns in there before you have to reload your energy.

Never fire more than a 3 round burst with the Hammergun. In fact, single shots worked best for me, and my aim is for ****. After learning the hard way, I didn't bother engaging Bombers though. Took more than 1 ping to get the kill sometimes and that's just not as satisfying :)

The Yak does a great counterclockwise barrell roll as a defensive manuever. You can sometimes sucker unwarey 190s with that as they make a B&Z pass on you.

The Yak9T was my favorite, and always gave me the best fights.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Yak 9
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2007, 01:06:34 AM »
we don't need more yak's than we do other planes we don't have at all.

Actually more Yaks fit the criteria of filling in more birds AH2 currently doesn't have.

The Yak is roughly the equivalent of the Spitfire and the Bf109 in the sense that they were developed from the very start of the war until the end of it, and its evolutionary process tended to match that of the main-stream enemy fighters with every new developments. During Barbarossa the earliest Yak-1 and Yak-7 fighters were practically the only fighters that could stand up to the german 109Es in performance. During days of Stalingrad the Yak-1 produced a most excellent offspring - the Yak-1b - that stood superior to the 109Fs, and in 1943, along with the newly emerging La-5s the Yak-9s formed a strong backbone of the VVS.

Consider that the Brits have the Spit1('40), Spit5('41), Spit9('42) before 1943, and the German set has the Emil('40), Friederich('41), and G-2('42). In this aspect, our VVS set needs at least the Yak-7a('41), the Yak-1b('42), and the Yak-9('43).

More Yaks can be only a good thing.

Offline HenryL

• Zinc Member
Yak 9
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2007, 01:36:38 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I think that is what I was
trying to say. More Yaks!!!!

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
Yak 9
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2007, 08:04:42 AM »
Another thing I like about the Yak9T, just for pure eye-candy, is coming up to a flight of bombers and letting loose with those incindiary rounds. There's NO mistaking you've hit 'em hard when those things go off.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
      • http://www.arabian-knights.org
Yak 9
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2007, 05:42:27 PM »
Both Yak's are some of the funnest planes in the game to fly and one of my favorite rides.  I was told this weekend it is an 'easy' plane to fly and 'easy' to get kills in... No it is not.  You have to focus on getting off good shots and not alot of people are good at flying the Yak.  I flew against Trikky alot while I lived overseas in Italy and got schooled alot, but I also learned alot.  In about 5 sorties with the 9T I have gotten 24 kills, with overall having 33 kill to 6 deaths (5.5k/d in about 10 sorties).  Check the charts and talk to a few of the Yak pilots.  The 9T is not a bobsled so to speak, more-o-less, a bobsled on flat ground... just push it and you'll survive.  The climb in the still has it climbing almost 3k a minute all the way up to 10k, and has a speed of around 350-360 around that altitude which is pretty decent.  The 9U is okay at a climb going about 3.7k a minute up to about 6k and then drops 3k a minute at about 8k, and you keep that up to about 14.5k and with that your sitting at over 400mph.  Fuel is decent as you get about 27+ minutes I believe with 100% fuel.  Not bad overall and is just a fun plane to fly... it just takes some getting use too.

Yak-9U Evaluation
Yak-9T Evaluation

Yak-9U Performance & Climb Rate
Yak-9T Performance & Climb Rate
~Sketch~//~Arabian Knights~
Sketch's Gunsight Collection 2008
Sketchworks Arabian Knights Soundpack
~Oderint Dum Metuant~

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
Yak 9
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2007, 01:07:35 PM »
Originally posted by spikes
we don't need more yak's than we do other planes we don't have at all.

The Yak-3 did well in the popular vote, finishing 4th in the Opening General Election, and holding that position until eliminated. It was the highest ranked Foreign design in the election. Take it for what it's worth, but there seem to be a good number of people out there who think another Yak would be nice.

As for my Bobsled comment Sketch, I gues YMMV, but I stand by my assessment (though I haven't flown in two years so what do I know lol).  

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline VansCrew1

• Gold Member
Yak 9
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2007, 05:47:51 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
I haven't.. not for a couple of years. Used to be able to, but they've changed so much code along the way that it doesn't seem possible lately.

Which is why I'd like to see a film if anybody has one.

the T"s great for killing tanks,ill start recording when i do it.
Tour 79
Callsign: VansCrew

"The Ringer"