Author Topic: Beating a dead horse.....  (Read 2364 times)

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Beating a dead horse.....
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2007, 02:15:45 PM »
Couple of things:

detch01, that was a hilarious analogy. Gross, but funny.

Second of all, I hate to see the MA alt-monkey/HO/Horde stench seeping into the AvA, but I suppose it's inevitable, same way it did to EW/MW two weeks after the arena split.

Case in point, last night was wrangling with someone in a 109 (which I hate btw but was flying Luftwaffle to even the numbers) when he made two HO passes, firing both times.  Got my oil on the second one.  I texted on 200 that I was going to go land and deny the kill to whoever it was that HOed me.  Turns out it was Jester from the 880, I was floored.  He told me (and I paraphrase) that a shot is a shot.   Must have been during or after a 'thugging' session.  *sigh*

Anyways,  I don't know what to say about it, if I continue to fly in the AvA and not take those HO shots, I risk getting shot in the face consistently by people I really don't expect to do that.  I hate to stoop to the lowest common denominator, but I will not submit to being HO target practice for dweebs.

Like someone said in another thread, it's always going to be easier to just go into the hangar and pick a big cannon package and go shoot people in the face than it is to learn/use acm and tactics, so that will never go away.  However I show up in the AvA partly because I hope to see a lot less of it there.  I have no problem with getting my bellybutton handed to me by a better pilot, but it really takes very little skill to line up a HO shot and zoom by.  1v1, what's the point?

As for the Hurri (and other historically inept cannon planes), I agree there might be something wrong with the Hurricane modeling, it might be a little too uber to be realistic. However, I think the differences in tactics between real WWII fighting and this game might be the actual problem.  Whereas lack of top speed isn't nearly as important here in the tight furball, it might have been a deal breaker in reality.  Also the factor of self-preservation is missing in the game...  I'll leave it to you to figure that out.

I certainly don't see what the problem is with the Spits.  the 109 G2/6 is certainly its equal if not superior in most aspects, except sustained turn rate.  I enjoy flying the Spit 5 and 9 very much, but I wouldn't say they are uber in any way.  I truly HATE the visibility in the 109, but if it weren't for that they would probably be my ride of choice, it's got a much better feel (to me) than the Spit.

And to what storch said, I have to agree that I've never seen him initiate a buffer war, but man, can he get people worked up.  Most of the time it's kind of funny, but sometimes it gets really tiresome.  The pissing matches between JG54 and 880Sqn are getting really old and I could definitely do without having to see that crap on 200.

I don't have a problem with JG54, I think they fight very well, they don't usually HO and they are all very skilled pilots.  Not the most polite fellows, but hey, they're Krauts, what do you expect? ;)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 02:18:07 PM by scottydawg »

storch

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2007, 05:04:38 PM »
the only people that get worked up are those that have never been in confrontation.  I can't possibly imagine anyone getting truly worked up over over what someone types on the intardnet.  I occassionally I am appalled by what I read typed in anonimity but I can't see anyone getting pissed over it.  then again I don't understand why there is homosexuality in the world either.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2007, 05:11:13 PM »
Originally posted by storch
 then again I don't understand why there is homosexuality in the world either.

Then quit dating boys and think about it for a while. :D

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

storch

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2007, 05:14:06 PM »
what??? and go back to sheep???

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2007, 05:16:01 PM »
Yeah can never understand why people get all upset and have hissy fits by what people type on the internet either.  Then and go do silly things like say they won't go to this arena or that.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

storch

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2007, 05:18:51 PM »
I'm not staying out because I'm pissed I'm staying out to see in slash can afford to pay six months of my game.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2007, 05:19:46 PM »
storch
you don't need to understand why, just just have to realize it does and act accordingly..
you do realize not everyone is a rough tough kung-fu grip karate adult AH master like yourself right? I just came from LW and heard what I think was about a 10 year old child on vox. they don't need to understand you are joking. and besides they may not know how to mute you in the game like the rest of us do :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2007, 05:20:42 PM »
what??? and go back to sheep???

You got a point, the fleas and ticks on them this time of year are about to make me swap as well.:aok
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 05:22:45 PM by Shifty »

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

storch

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2007, 05:22:19 PM »
then I strongly urge that there should be a .squelch storch message permanently posted on the MOTD.  I know slash is so broke he can't afford to pay attention, perhaps OM can do it.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2007, 05:27:47 PM »
I'm not staying out because I'm pissed I'm staying out to see in slash can afford to pay six months of my game.

You can be bought for $90?  If that's the case meet me by the ammo shed in the Blue arena, want to introduce you to 'lil Bug. :eek:

Reacting to what people type is reacting to what people type.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

storch

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2007, 05:28:54 PM »
I can be had for much less :aok

Offline Solar10

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2007, 06:29:34 PM »
Guppy35.

Great thread!
~Hells Angels~
Solar10

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2007, 06:33:13 PM »
Originally posted by scottydawg

Case in point, last night was wrangling with someone in a 109 (which I hate btw but was flying Luftwaffle to even the numbers) when he made two HO passes, firing both times.  Got my oil on the second one.  I texted on 200 that I was going to go land and deny the kill to whoever it was that HOed me.  Turns out it was Jester from the 880, I was floored.  He told me (and I paraphrase) that a shot is a shot.   Must have been during or after a 'thugging' session.  *sigh*

Sir;

#1: Always remember Grasshopper - It takes TWO to HO.

#2: It really wasn't a "HO" in the classic sense of the term. You came looping around and showed me that pretty profile so I obligingly "Lit you Up" from nose to tail.

#3: As for all the "MARK 1., GRADE A BULL CHIT" that goes on on this forum about "HO'ing" - Has got to be the biggest LOAD of garbage ever!

You find me ONE former WW2 Fighter Pilot that said he wouldn't have took a head-on shot at an enemy aircraft because it "Wasn't Cricket" and I will never do it again. I promise.  :rolleyes:  Till that day, being the average pilot that I am - If I manage to get an enemy aircraft in my sights during a swirling dogfight - you can bet your Family Jewels I am going to pull the trigger no matter what angle the other aircraft happens to be placed at the time.
Anyone with half a brain knows you use every advantage that both you and your aircraft will give you. If you don't you are just plain dense or enjoy getting shot down.

#4: Actually Mr. Dawg, what was the saddest part of the whole incident was your getting on CH. 200 and going into "Over-Whine" mode about how you were going to rob me of my kill by landing, etc, etc....  You did notice that no one bothered to chase you down even though your aircraft was damaged and it would have made for an easy kill?  Well some people you just can't be nice too can you.  ;)

#5: For future reference, you don't have to worry about robbing me of kills. From the 6 odd years I have been playing here in AH and Warbirds before that -  been CO of and helping form many other squads - I don't think I have ever kept up with my score either on each flight or for the Tours in the Arena's.
If I came home with my Wingman alive and we managed to hurt the enemy that was always my goal.  You should try it instead of running your lip on Ch. 200. You might find it more rewarding.   :aok
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 06:35:40 PM by Jester »
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2007, 06:44:10 PM »
I have noticed that 90% of the time I get HOed in the AvA it ends up being Jester. I always thought he was better then that, but I guess not. The ohter 10% is 9.9% Pacifica and .1% some noob flying with a mouse that couldnt hit me if I was on the runway. It seems alot of people have been going for HOs alot more since Iv been back.

#1: Always remember Grasshopper - It takes TWO to HO

#1: It does'nt take two to HO.......It takes one to make a merge into a HO.

I know someones ganna whine about my 110 sortie the other day where I HOed a few people...........show me a film from another day where I HOed you when I wasnt geting HOed or ganged.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2007, 07:04:30 PM »
Just so everyone is clear,

I WILL[/b] HO, I will do it any chance I get, and I will not feel one bit bad about it.

:aok