Author Topic: A Simple Question Seeks Simple Answer  (Read 950 times)

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
A Simple Question Seeks Simple Answer
« on: May 15, 2007, 02:11:17 AM »
OK, here's hoping the responding posts will clear up my ignorance without too much ego-bashing.

First, I admit it.  I'm an old fogey and I don't participate in online forums anywhere, but here, excluding work-related Intranets.

Therefore, with little such experience in this environment, I have been mystified trying to decipher the all pervasive concept of "IN", which I see referenced in many threads, and is frankly far beyond my current level of comprehension.  I thought I had it figure awhile back, but as I continued to read and register its usage, the elusive thing seemed to morph in mid-post, corrupting my neatly arrayed premises supporting my definitive conclusion as to its nature, meaning and proper usage.

So my question is, what in the stunted domain of acronymic, grammatically-crippled, English-crushing online forum linguistical jargon does "IN" mean?

(Pleas ignore the redundant adjective in my last sentence.  Sounded good so I left it that way on purpose.)

TEST:  Can you identify the redundant adjective I refer to?

EXTRA CREDIT:  What is the generally-accepted grammatical faux pas I just committed in the previous "TEST" sentence.
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Harp00n

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 02:43:40 AM »

Urban dictionary definition:

What posters on a message boards will sometimes say in response to a thread/topic that will eventually be locked/closed. This is a way to show that the thread is incredibly dumb or goes against the rules of the message board. Used to sometimes get in a free post to raise one's post count before the topic gets locked, preventing any further posting in it.

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 03:08:13 AM »
Sort of what I figured, but I eventually thought I was missing something else about it.  Excellent and informative response.    Thank you.
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Wolf14

• Silver Member
Re: A Simple Question Seeks Simple Answer
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 03:12:23 AM »
Originally posted by Sloehand
OK, here's hoping the responding posts will clear up my ignorance without too much ego-bashing.

First, I admit it.  I'm an old fogey and I don't participate in online forums anywhere, but here, excluding work-related Intranets.

Therefore, with little such experience in this environment, I have been mystified trying to decipher the all pervasive concept of "IN", which I see referenced in many threads, and is frankly far beyond my current level of comprehension.  I thought I had it figure awhile back, but as I continued to read and register its usage, the elusive thing seemed to morph in mid-post, corrupting my neatly arrayed premises supporting my definitive conclusion as to its nature, meaning and proper usage.

So my question is, what in the stunted domain of acronymic, grammatically-crippled, English-crushing online forum linguistical jargon does "IN" mean?

(Pleas ignore the redundant adjective in my last sentence.  Sounded good so I left it that way on purpose.)

EXTRA CREDIT:  What is the generally-accepted grammatical faux pas I just committed in the previous "TEST" sentence.
:cry

My god man what is up with that?

Have a bad at work?

Go fly or something and quit playing with my head. I taint in the mood and I bet Skuzzy chokes when he looks at this one. Go...you go now...you go play. In the famous words of Tom Petty..."Dont come round here no more!"

Hmmppffff....redundant "in"s my wazoo.

Put dat in yo pipe and smoke it.

:aok

I think I got all the redundat "ins" pointed out.

Mornin Skuzzy
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 03:32:21 AM by Wolf14 »

Offline sntslilhlpr6601

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 03:12:59 AM »

refer?

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 06:56:49 AM »
refer : transitive verb; to trace or carry back, to attribute, to appeal, to assign
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline ColKLink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 07:02:56 AM »
you sure it wasn't "reefer"? sp* refer?:D
Live each day like it's your last, and one day, you will be right.---- rush 2112,--->" and the sheep shall inherit the earth"......

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 07:14:47 AM »

Let me see if a non english can get them...

1. the redudant adjective should be linguistical, jargon already set the "matter" as linguistical.

2. the generally-accepted error should be ending the sentence with a preposition, the correct form should have been something like "... the redundant adjective to what I'm referring" (not sure "what" is the correct word to use :p)
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline jhookt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 10:19:37 AM »

Test : linguistical
Extra Credit : "... I am referring to?"

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 11:27:13 AM »
IN!

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 11:30:58 AM »
"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." - W. Churchill

Technically it should have been "Can you identify the redundant adjective to which I refer?" -- but then the average communiations system such as forums doesn't seem to adhere to the formal rules of English grammar that one might use in a paper or essay.

EDIT: D'oh! The spinach-pie-eater beat me to it! :D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 11:36:05 AM by Krusty »

Offline Hawco

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Re: Re: A Simple Question Seeks Simple Answer
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 11:31:45 AM »
Originally posted by Gianlupo
Let me see if a non english can get them...

1. the redudant adjective should be linguistical, jargon already set the "matter" as linguistical.

2. the generally-accepted error should be ending the sentence with a preposition, the correct form should have been something like "... the redundant adjective to what I'm referring" (not sure "what" is the correct word to use :p)

Think I'll need a few beer Gian to get to the bottom of that one lol:aok

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 04:46:32 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty

Originally posted by Hawco

Think I'll need a few beer Gian to get to the bottom of that one lol

PWND Y'ALL!!!! :D

Yeah, Hawco, maybe I wrote that in too much of a rush ;)
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 04:47:40 PM »
Sloehand..... there are no stupid questions... just stupid answers. Hope you got the answer you were hoping for.  There are some quality folks on this BBS, just sometimes you have to dig a little to find them. :aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 08:54:30 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." - W. Churchill

Technically it should have been "Can you identify the redundant adjective to which I refer?" -- but then the average communiations system such as forums doesn't seem to adhere to the formal rules of English grammar that one might use in a paper or essay.

Or Speeling? LMAO (Communations)
                                        Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID