Author Topic: The Monument Valley Red Bull air-race scene?  (Read 1281 times)

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
The Monument Valley Red Bull air-race scene?
« on: May 15, 2007, 04:54:08 PM »
Hi

I like to give a try to model the US Red Bull Monument Valley Air Race scene.

Some pre-info is needed:

- Are there any race track schematic available with exact gate positions and altitudes ?

and

- Are there available a gray scale altitude map from this area?

I can build a generic 2D track based to the above document, but I'm more interested to try a 'hi-res' landmass modeling if possible.

TY

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 05:13:26 PM »
I can help you with the elevation greyscale, XJazz... just tell me what the parameters are.
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 05:41:09 PM »
Originally posted by Dux
I can help you with the elevation greyscale, XJazz... just tell me what the parameters are.

Dux

I'm not sure if this is the data what your looking

36"59'03,03N +/- 5 miles
110"06'29,63W +/- 5 miles

Offline Dux

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 06:10:30 PM »
That'll do nicely! Give me a few days. :aok
Rogue Squadron, CO

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Dux

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 06:15:11 PM »
Just to warn you... the mesas are not going to look very good at 1/2 mile resolution. Are you planning to make some custom terrain objects?
Rogue Squadron, CO

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 06:37:19 PM »
ohhhh man-o-man!  If we could get some Red Bull skins, or even if Red Bull sponsorship for the game...! :aok :aok

Bound to be some USGS survey maps to go from for the map...  Anyone tried their .gov site?
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!
Elite: Dangerous ~ Cmd Odeed

http://www.luxlibertas.com/

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 06:45:41 PM »
Dux,

Thank you

Before you start anything, I would like to underline, this is yet another experimental  _H2H_  map project by me.

My current plan is to ignore the TE's original landmass and use the custom made landmass objects instead. There are open questions but this is the starting point.

(edit)

The 1/8 + resolutions would be nice.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 06:49:06 PM by Xjazz »

Offline HB555

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 07:47:58 PM »
Dux,
You might steer Raptor towards this thread, as I believe he is working on a full bore Air Race Terrain.

Odee and Xjazz,
The Red Bull Sponsorship idea will be thrown out, and I am betting any reference to Red Bull may be as well, as far as going with an SEA terrain we can use for race nights. We have already been there, and done that, with other "brands".

May fly for a H2H arena, but I am thinking skuzzy ought to know about it, so Dale can be aware. Or maybe I am just being paranoid and protective of HiTech.

Would it be possible for you build your terrain in a way that would not conflict with any possible Red Bull copywrites, registered trademarks, or other possible legal ramification?
Snoopy Bell

HB555 A gentleman, with a school boys heart, and crazy enough to think he is a cartoon dog.

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 08:07:56 PM »
Originally posted by HB555
Dux,
You might steer Raptor towards this thread, as I believe he is working on a full bore Air Race Terrain.

Odee and Xjazz,
The Red Bull Sponsorship idea will be thrown out, and I am betting any reference to Red Bull may be as well, as far as going with an SEA terrain we can use for race nights. We have already been there, and done that, with other "brands".

May fly for a H2H arena, but I am thinking skuzzy ought to know about it, so Dale can be aware. Or maybe I am just being paranoid and protective of HiTech.

Would it be possible for you build your terrain in a way that would not conflict with any possible Red Bull copywrites, registered trademarks, or other possible legal ramification?

Hi HB555

I am sure the Raptor have BEEN and maybe still is ready to take _ANY_ race track design advices from active AH racer side... Just don't hold your breath for it...

From my side...
I'm making these h2h maps just for fun. Fuqk with your 'sponsors', because I like to push MY ideas to the .res file.  I enjoy my freedom(hth) while I openly  respect the host(htc).

Offline Dux

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 08:39:18 PM »
Thanks for the thought, Snoopy, but XJazz is working on his own stuff now, and has nothing to do with "our" racing  projects, so he is free to do whatever.

This is not a Terrain Team project... I offered to help him because XJazz and I go way back. :)
Rogue Squadron, CO

Offline HB555

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 10:52:06 PM »
Dux, ,
I understood that it was to be an h2h thing, just sounded like something that might be able to be incorporated into Raptors race terrain.

Xjazz
I am so very sorry to have intruded with an idea for your project. I shall, in the future, refrain from any other such intrusions!
Snoopy Bell

HB555 A gentleman, with a school boys heart, and crazy enough to think he is a cartoon dog.

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 06:10:39 PM »
Originally posted by HB555
Odee and Xjazz,
....Would it be possible for you build your terrain in a way that would not conflict with any possible Red Bull copywrites, registered trademarks, or other possible legal ramification?
I think you misunderstand me... I'm saying contact Red Bull to sponsor the game, and that HTC reciprocates by hosting a Red Bull tourney.  HTC would have to work out all the legality's, but it would be a neat way to advertise the game and get more players/subscribers... I understand about the skins, and realize the difficulty making them, and also that while a cool idea, it would be impractical.

Over all, the legal ramifications of using any of the Red Bull tm and copyright materials would need written agreements from them to HTC...  Not an insurmountable hurdle, but the lack of interest would kill it. :(

Well, it was just a thought.
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!
Elite: Dangerous ~ Cmd Odeed

http://www.luxlibertas.com/

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 06:29:40 AM »
Originally posted by Dux

What source are you using to get this greyscale maps?I'm guessing not .dem files?

Offline Dux

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2007, 10:47:31 AM »
Level 1 DTEDs, croduh... Similar to DEMs but better.
Rogue Squadron, CO

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 12:45:48 PM »
I've been searching for a better solution then dems, found others standard.
DTED lvl 1 is 3 arc seconds right?100m?
Wondering, how did you get those files?