Author Topic: Ace  (Read 1983 times)

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Ace
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2007, 03:01:00 PM »
an ace is someone who gets 5 kills without dying.

So I would hope that would mean everyone, at pretty much any point in their AH career, has managed to land 5 victories.

Vulches, Cherry picks, HO's all count, not to sure about collisions or proxies.

The best "aces" should be able to achieve that every run, in ANY ride.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Ace
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2007, 04:00:05 PM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
I've got a low overall rank (if you count under 100 low) and, while I'll never say never I've, for the most part, gotten it fighting in the LWA's (although I did play in MW one night helping some others with some base captures... not at undefended bases though).  I do spend about 1-2 nights per camp in EW or MW so I can get a few "fair" fights in in some EW birds.  Other than that it's all LW.  

You just have to pick your places, times and missions and do everything that's available to do in the game.  I don't consider that "gaming the game" I consider it "playing the game".

When I saw you in LWA, you kept your alt. and were nowhere to be found when I approached your alt.    Other Rooks made note of this btw.  

Rank status = Level of Timidness.   Cut and slice it anyway you want, but I'll never run from a 1 vs 1.   Nor do I make claims "of greatness" on the other side of the coin.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline sonic23

• Nickel Member
Ace
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2007, 04:19:19 PM »
I'm the only Ace in this game, and you can't get like me.:lol JP
Sonic23 ++Blue Knights++
Sonic27 -==Hell Hounds==-

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
Ace
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2007, 04:29:06 PM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
Rank status = Level of Timidness.   Cut and slice it anyway you want, but I'll never run from a 1 vs 1.   Nor do I make claims "of greatness" on the other side of the coin.

Well, even though I ranked 11th right now, I am far from being timid.  I usually take on 2 or even 3 on 1's espescially if I have alt.  Only times I am timid is when I know there are more enemy coming and not friendly to help even the odds.  Yet I do agree rank means nothing.  I get rank to help control CV for squad ops.  This way I don't have idiots taking control of it and making there name out of the course they taking the CV (Tdub), hehehe.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline Pawz

• Nickel Member
Ace
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2007, 04:58:17 PM »
Fighter Rank in and of itself a poor measuring tool because by its very nature, it's relativistic. However, the components that comprise fighter rank are absolutes and do have some comparative relevance. That is to say Hit %, K/T, K/D and K/S do indicate the prescence of aptitudes in specific areas that are key components of aggregate talent in fighters. Of course there is no measure for one key component and that is raw flying ability, that is unquantifiable, very subjective and situational.

So, to define an Ace, you really have to qualify that with, Ace of what..? Very few people, I can think of only 2 or 3 I've ever known in 17 years of this, can pick up any plane out of the hanger, fly it in any style and be equally successful in it. By that I mean there are Aces, there are TnB Aces, there are E fighting Aces, there are snipers, there are those with great flying skill but awefull aim, or people with great aim and flying ability but piss poor SA etc.

Humans will tend to, after sufficient experience, cultivate the self-awareness to figure out what aptitudes and weaknesses they have and fly in a fashion that maximizes those aptitudes while at the same time minimizing their weaknesses. In my personal opinion those are the Aces.

If you want a pure definition, an Ace is a pilot who flies in such a way as to maximize the effectiveness in combat of both his own aptitudes and his chosen plane's strengths while at the same time minimizing his own weaknesses and the strengths of his opponent and his aircraft. Someone who can consistantly accomplish that flight after flight, encounter after encounter is an unqualified Ace regardless of what particular area(s) he excels.

Naturally, in the game there are certain activities that can statistically perpetuate the illusion of Ace-dom without actually possessing the reality of it, vulching, 262 and 163 buff farming missions and more clandestine methods involving other accounts for example. This is the biggest reason Rank in and of itself or any sub-stat of which looked at in isolation or out of context is not particularly meaningfull. But, blatant padding notwithstanding the core attributes that comprise fighter rank, not the fighter rank itself are, if nothing else, fairly pure indicators of pilot aptitude in a given area. Taken as a sum total they do tell a story and combined with the correct plane to accentuate those proclivities do end up becoming, to a certain degree, a measure of that person's overall effectiveness in the MA with a fighter.

Zazen

Your such a dweeb I r d bset :p
When I die bury me in a P38.

I watch day after day, week after week, tour after tour, the Bishops and Rooks take bases and win maps while the Knights stand there with their thumbs stuck in their butts. It's just pathetic!

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
Ace
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2007, 07:08:14 PM »
You're an "ace" in this game when the best players consider you "good". imo, anyway. I'm just a K4 dweeb.
Army of Muppets

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Ace
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2007, 07:18:03 PM »
Originally posted by AKDogg
Well, even though I ranked 11th right now, I am far from being timid.  I usually take on 2 or even 3 on 1's espescially if I have alt.  Only times I am timid is when I know there are more enemy coming and not friendly to help even the odds.  Yet I do agree rank means nothing.  I get rank to help control CV for squad ops.  This way I don't have idiots taking control of it and making there name out of the course they taking the CV (Tdub), hehehe.

Dogg, I'll be flat out Honest.   SHawk, SkyRock, Killn, Bj229f, Stang, BGBMaw, TC, Octavius, Greebo, Levi, Wax, You, and maybe 15 others that are "worthy Top 200 cartoon sticks" are not timid.   I'm sorry but most "Top 200", "or those who deem themselves Lord of AH2" are nothing but fluff.  

Hell, there have been times where I have switched and shot you down, but it was earned.   I have also been on the receiving end of said MA fights.   It's what should happen, dogfights but there are some who "want the rank, name in lights" but sell themselves in the process.   They'll run from 1 vs 1's, etc.

It's not about "fighting the fight the way Karaya wants".   It's about the dogfights.  It is the reason I and most play this game for the DOGFIGHTS.    

<>
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Platano

• Silver Member
Ace
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2007, 07:42:01 PM »
Shawk?...

He always has his entourage... He never flies alone and always had some1 to clear his 6....But if you rarely catch him 1v1 stop and examine wat he does before he comes on vox and says in his old ragity voice "Can someone get this off of me, or "draggin one on the deck here"....

BTW this is by no mean meant to personally Bash Him...

Army of Muppets

Fly Luftwaffe.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Ace
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2007, 12:10:43 AM »
I'm the P38G Ace.  I've personally accounted for the destruction of more P38Gs then all the other pilot's in Aces high combined!

No one can touch me when it comes to that!

BTW this is a reall silly conversation.  Being an AH Ace and a buck might get you a can of Coke.  Maybe.  Who the heck cares as long as yer having fun :)

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
Ace
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2007, 12:25:19 AM »
Originally posted by AKDogg
Heck, I bet Jrdogg could take him.

Hey give your son some credit.  I went and dueled him one day, nice kid and good stick.  You've taught him well :aok
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
Ace
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2007, 12:28:12 AM »
actually he taught himself.  He watched me fly but I really didn't actually tell him anything but how to start the engine and how to fly.  The manev's he learned he learned by watchin me or his opponents.  He a quick learner.  Still trying to break him off the HO routine though.  He better then that.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
Ace
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2007, 07:07:08 AM »
Originally posted by Husky01
Yep fly with dextur and Axer they are true aces!

lmfaorof.....AXER got ya running shoes on?
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
Ace
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2007, 07:22:03 AM »
Back when Jg54 used to be an organized squad in the AvA we would keep a "score" of ones kill streak. Once you die you start again at 0. Most I think I got up to was 16. None of us were score whoring though we would all up in groups (one jabo one fighter) jabos would get a ground kill for anything they distroyed with thier bombs. Only a few would get it each sortie since Jabos were flying 190s with 500kg bomb.

Other then squad "aces" there isnt any Aces High Aces. When ToD comes out Im sure there will be aces.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner