Author Topic: North American Union and illegals  (Read 558 times)

Offline 68Hawk

• Silver Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
North American Union and illegals
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2007, 12:51:21 AM »
Oh they're there, I just never cared to spend the time taking note of them.  Terms now a days always try to relate to the classical political spectrum, but they seldom do.  It's more about convention.  These terms do apply, for those who care to look into it.  Please feel free to call me out if I have miss-characterized them.
68th Lightning Lancers
Fear the reaper no more fear the Lancers!
http://www.68thlightninglancers.net

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2007, 03:04:34 AM »
Originally posted by 68Hawk
Neo-Liberals wanting to form the legal structure of a North American Union is not a myth, but also not a predestined reality.  

It's definitely not desirable at this point in time.

If you want to compare the idea to the EU, Mexico is Turkey.

Better do your homework. Its not liberals only. Its your own Bushie that is proposing this. The neocons want the cheap labor.
+Silat
"The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them." — Maya Angelou
"Conservatism offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future." B. Disraeli
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2007, 04:50:41 AM »
everybody wants cheap labor, Silat   if we want to be cynical, we could say that liberals want those millions of votes - and they just can't wait to teach the poor Mexicans how to vote for money.  :)

meanwhile, i think Bush has a genuine compassion for the poor, hard working Mexicans.  but i think he might be trying to reach for some kind of legacy here too.

it looks like nobody likes this bill  tho -  i hope.
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline 68Hawk

• Silver Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2007, 03:25:42 PM »
Originally posted by Silat
Better do your homework. Its not liberals only. Its your own Bushie that is proposing this. The neocons want the cheap labor.

Um, I think you missed the entire point that Neo-liberals are not Liberals.  There's a difference, and you know I really don't care to get into complex comparisons of different political philosophies right now.  Of course Bush wants cheap labor.  Thats a plain Conservative value.  The right wing interest in a NAU is also much more based on hemisphere security concerns and economic considerations relating to security rather than with a specific interest to economic dominance alone.
68th Lightning Lancers
Fear the reaper no more fear the Lancers!
http://www.68thlightninglancers.net

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2007, 11:28:17 PM »

No denying it. The Republicans want the cheap labor and the Democrats want the votes. Both political parties are in conflict with what most Americans want but I think they figure most of us are too comfortable to do anything significant about it. They're probably right.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2007, 11:32:20 PM »

Legalizing them would make the cheap labor expensive.  If anyone wanted the illegals to stay for the wages, they'd wish for them to stay illegal.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2007, 11:36:07 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron
No denying it. The Republicans want the cheap labor and the Democrats want the votes. Both political parties are in conflict with what most Americans want but I think they figure most of us are too comfortable to do anything significant about it. They're probably right.

Which is why they will beat the immigration issue up through the elections.  Eventually each house of Congress will pass a bill, everyone get's to claim they voted "for" some immigration law, and the two different versions of the bill will get tied up in the committee it get's shuffled to where it will eventually die.  

Last I checked, that's what was still happening to the change in minimum wage, unless someone heard something different?

You don't actually have to pass any laws in Congress these days..... just vote on stuff and get your soundbites in front of the camera.