Author Topic: What WW2 ace do you look up to?  (Read 12734 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
What WW2 ace do you look up to?
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2007, 09:14:31 AM »
Obie303, Gabreski was an American. He never flew with the Poles prior to several being attached to the 56th FG. Indeed, Gabby was at Pearl Harbor on 12/7/41. He was born in Pennsylvania, not Poland. His parents had come from Poland at the turn of the century.

Gabby lived about 15 minutes from me. I would see him around from time to time. His Plymouth had a vanity plate that said T-BOLT.

The last opportunity I had to talk with Gabby was in the summer of 2001. He is much missed by me and the local community.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2007, 10:28:51 AM »
Widewing, sorry, but you're not correct on this: I know that Gabresky flew with polish RAF squadron with Spitfires (the 315th, IIRC) before joining the 56th. And, being born in the US from polish parents doesn't make him less polish, although american citizen. ;)
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2007, 10:49:12 AM »
Bong!!!!:aok
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2007, 11:18:20 AM »
Originally posted by Gianlupo
Widewing, sorry, but you're not correct on this: I know that Gabresky flew with polish RAF squadron with Spitfires (the 315th, IIRC) before joining the 56th. And, being born in the US from polish parents doesn't make him less polish, although american citizen. ;)

Yes, you are correct. I had completely forgotten about his foray with 315 squadron. I think he flew something like 25 to 30 generally uneventful sorties.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline 68ROX

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2007, 12:29:22 PM »
Col. Greg (Pappy) Boyington.

I was extremely lucky to be able to interview Boyington on my radio show twice, and met him in person as well.  He was truly genuine, and carried volumes of history in his head.

I got to know him pretty well.

I visit his grave at Arlington whenever I am in the area.  He is right near Lee Marvin and Joe Louis.

<> Pappy

68ROX

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2007, 12:47:58 PM »
What was it one of his friends said when he noticed how close he was to Lewis' grave?

"Ol' Pappy wouldn't have to go far to find a good fight."
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2007, 01:10:40 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
Yes, you are correct. I had completely forgotten about his foray with 315 squadron. I think he flew something like 25 to 30 generally uneventful sorties.

My regards,

Widewing

Woo ooooh! I got him in fault! :D ;) (yep, they were 25, I think, no kills)
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline Platano

• Silver Member
« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2007, 01:11:52 PM »
Originally posted by ghi
1,----

Hans Ulrich Rudel

- logged 2,530 combat missions,

victories;

518+ Tanks
700 Trucks
150+ Flak and Artillery positions
9 Fighter/Ground Attack Aircraft
Hundreds of bridges, railway lines, bunkers, etc.
Battleship October Revolution, Cruiser Marat, and 70 landing craft
was shot down 32 times

Sounds like he flew in the MA :lol
Army of Muppets

Fly Luftwaffe.

Offline folkwufe

• Copper Member
« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2007, 01:15:36 PM »
robin olds

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2007, 06:17:41 PM »
BaDkaRmA158Th-

I think we are done with you. So move along and find another BB to fill with your self-righteous claptrap.

Clear enough?

:aok
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Viper35

• Zinc Member
« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2007, 09:29:52 PM »
Here's mine.  Anyone who can fly a dog house and land it after the way it was shot up is my hero!

Offline VVV

• Copper Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/waroftheworldsfan
« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2007, 09:33:14 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
McCampbell shot down 9 that sortie, with his wingman getting 6 more.

My regards,

Widewing

Wow, even better.
Thanks for the correction sir.
Now flying as FalconAM.

~~~The Unforgiven~~~

VAW-116 "Sunkings"

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2007, 01:42:25 AM »
who cares if you are reading about a bunch of poloks. I am a polok myself! I have not read much abut these guys but it would be neat to read about them

Bosco123, I can't get any more Polish!:D   As I posted earlier, I've read several books about the Polish Forces in WW II.  I gave an example of my two favorite books about the Polish Air Force.  I would highly recommend them and several other.  It will amaze you!

Gabreski was an American. He never flew with the Poles prior to several being attached to the 56th FG. Indeed, Gabby was at Pearl Harbor on 12/7/41. He was born in Pennsylvania, not Poland. His parents had come from Poland at the turn of the century.

Widewing, I know that Gabreski was an American.  I included Gabreski because he was of Polish decent and that he did fly for the Polish Air Force, as Gianlupo mentioned.  I must admit though. I do envy you because you've had the opportunity to have met many of these great men!  Dan too!

The one thing that truely astonishes me is that to this day, most people don't truely know how much the Polish Forces contributed to the Allied cause and in return, were betrayed by the British and Americans when they allowed Stalin to take over their country.  The Polish contributed to breaking the Enigma codes, the Polish Airborne in Operation Market Garden, and the Polish 2nd Corp at the Battle of Monte Cassino, just to name a few.  The British didn't allow the Polish any Yugoslavian forces to march in the Victory Parades in 45' because they thought it would insult Stalin!

I don't mean to ramble.  It just seems that most people always forget how much the Polish lost and still continued to fight despite the odds.

Obie:aok
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2007, 02:10:56 AM »
See set signature. In addition, I fly sort of his style such as only firing from close range. Of which I can't hit anything more than 200 out anyway.
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2007, 04:50:53 AM »
I've read a lot of ace biographies but Marmaduke Pattle's was the story which stuck with me the most. Pattle was a South African who flew with the RAF in the desert campaign in 1940 and later in Greece in 41.

In the desert he flew Gladiators with 80 Squadron, fighting usually outnumbered against Italian fighters. He was an incredible shot, had excellent eyesight and was a great aerobatic pilot and tactician. In Greece the RAF were even more heavily outnumbered but by February 1941, when the RAF in Greece was finally given Hurricanes, Pattle had scored 15.5 kills in the Gladiator.

In March Pattle was given command of 33 Squadron and continued to rack up kills, even when the Germans joined the Italians in April. By this point the handful of RAF and Greek squadrons with mostly obsolete aircraft were up against around 1000 Axis aircraft.

On 20th April Pattle lead 15 Hurricanes against a LW raid of around 100 aircraft over Athens. He was exhausted and suffering from influenza but flew on anyway to preseve the morale of his squadron. Seeing a lone Hurricane beset by Me110s Pattle dove in to help, shooting down two before he was killed and crashed into the sea.

During the nine months he fought against the odds  Pattle was given official credit for 34 combat victories. However during the retreats in the desert and in Greece many RAF records were destroyed so his actual total may have been much higher than that. It was probably more than 40 and could even have been over 50.