Author Topic: X52  (Read 1363 times)

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
X52
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2007, 04:46:43 AM »
I'll be coming back to AH soon and the X52 Pro looks like being the stick I'll buy. I had the original X36 and it was great, although the twist stick rudder on the X52 put me off. So I bought some Chinese rudder pedals off ebay and they are great. ;)

Has anyone programmed the X52 Pro MFD to AHII? Looks like a useful feature, but I think you need some programming knowledge.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
X52
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2007, 07:22:42 AM »
Originally posted by OOZ662
The X52 has problems with spiking over time. The Slider and X/Y/Z axis all have that issue on my stick, but it's still livable. The twist is the worst, then the slider. The roll/pitch just have bumpy spikes throughout a certain range and I don't use that area of deflection that often.

Most the guys that are complaining about them being fragile are those who are used to the Microsoft Sidewinder and such other old tanks. You could beat those to hell with no trouble, but you have to treat the X52 as an electronic, not a toy.

For those of you that have small spiking problems, go into the Game Controllers node in Control Panel. You can adjust deadbands for each axis there.

or buy a powered belkin USB hub

my saitek gear dosnt spike anymore since i bought the powered hub even though I bought it for my CH gear.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
X52
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2007, 07:25:40 AM »
btw I have an unused x52 sitting on the shelf. its a good stick with good button layouts but I found the CH stick to have greater travel range and more precision even though the x52 has a more comfortable grip with more user friendly button placement. I wish the fighterstick had a few more trigger buttons.

I like using my old x45 throttle better with my ch fighterstick and ch pro pedals.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
X52
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2007, 07:37:35 AM »
Cit....next time when looking at CH look at the 586 Combatstick USB.

I've used them for a long long time......they just feel right.  The fighter stick has one more 8way then the combatstick which has one 8 way and a 4.  But since I have the Pro Throttle adding 4 more hats it is not an issue.  Combat stick just more comfortable.

And by the way Saitek users.  Do what I do I put my change in a can.  It mounts up over time and I always have money for HOTAS if I need one.  And when I buy one it won't be Saitek or thrustmaster.  Only CH.  I've used CH products for almost 20 years and never....repeat never had an issue with one controller.  As a matter of fact several AH players are using my used equipment.....some are over 10 years old and still going strong.

So save your change for the CH stuff.  In the long run you'll be more satisfied and save money.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
X52
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2007, 07:53:31 AM »
^ what he said
The Few ***
F.P.H

storch

X52
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2007, 07:58:14 AM »
CH is the way to go it's far less expensive in the long run.  they are quality products that simply don't wear out.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
X52
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2007, 08:12:40 AM »
Originally posted by storch
CH is the way to go it's far less expensive in the long run.  they are quality products that simply don't wear out.

CH is simply the top shelf controller for this genre. My first set of CH gear (Fighterstick/Throttle/Pedals) lasted 12 years without the slightest hint of a problem. When I ungraded to XP I purchased the USB version of the same gear and bought a good independant internal PCI USB hub for them. Those have worked beautifully for 5 years+...

While more expensive initially, those inclined toward mathematics, prorate that cost out over the projected lifespan of the gear. Then compare that to something that costs 1/2 as much and lasts 1/25th as long...Numbers don't lie. CH gear ends up being both better and cheaper in the end...

Zazen
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 08:14:46 AM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
X52
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2007, 10:20:40 AM »
I noticed there are many different points of view on the same equipment.It always seems to be like this.I had CH stuff for years and would swear by it.After a few years I did have to replace a hat swich in the stick and a potentiometer in the pedals.Other than that it all worked great for a good 6 or 7 years.The reason I got rid of it was that it was analog.I bought an X-52 like I said no problems so far although it is not realy old yet.I bought a set of CH Pro Pedals around the same time I bought the X-52.The Pro Pedals spike.I wonder if part of the differance in performance is the varying equipment we hook the gear up too.Or is it in the manufacturing like Sloehand mentioned.It just seems like whenever anyone asks about sticks ya get answeres pointing you in every direction.

Pipz
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
X52
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2007, 10:24:13 AM »
pipz you using a powered usb hub with everything?

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
X52
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2007, 10:29:45 AM »
Hello Fester
 No I do not have a powered USB Hub.I did see your post and problem on this issue.I may have to go out and get one.I do have a internal PCI ,USB HUB.I think your cure may be the best answere.

Pipz

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
X52
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2007, 10:35:45 AM »
try it my ch stuff spiked like mad, my x45 did and my x52 spiked on every axis but x and y. my 2.5 yr old ch pedals  did too.

now with the powered hub regulating enough power to the potentometers which rely on steady and ample current for stability everything is like glass.

so I can't say it enough times if you have spikes try this 30 dollar belkin powered USB hub and it could be the best 30 bucks you ever spent on AH :)

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
X52
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2007, 10:38:41 AM »
Thanks for the input Fester.Ill give it a go and let ya know how it worked out.

Pipz

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
X52
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2007, 11:02:17 AM »
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=159070

heres a link to what I am now using.

i had no idea that all this stuff would encounter problems with many PC's because the pc has plenty usb ports but the pc manufacturers dont supply a seperate power supply source for the usb ports and a lot of times only the tiny usb bus has to supply all of it and with HOTAS setups or about any setup with potentometers its pretty clear to me now in hindsight that it is essential to get enough power to these controls for them to function as intended.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
X52
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2007, 01:26:06 PM »
Originally posted by Citabria
my saitek gear dosnt spike anymore since i bought the powered hub even though I bought it for my CH gear.

The issues with spiking didn't occur for a couple months, then got slowly worse. They're still getting worse, just even slower. I doubt my powered hub would help much.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
      • http://www.arabian-knights.org
X52
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2007, 01:42:50 PM »
Originally posted by OOZ662
The issues with spiking didn't occur for a couple months, then got slowly worse. They're still getting worse, just even slower. I doubt my powered hub would help much.

I was told from Saitek that the X52 needs more power than what the on-board USB can deliever consistantly....  Mine has not spiked for two years and that is how long i have had it... just a note is all.  Wouldn't hurt to try it...
~Sketch~//~Arabian Knights~
Sketch's Gunsight Collection 2008
Sketchworks Arabian Knights Soundpack
~Oderint Dum Metuant~