Author Topic: A Simple Question Seeks Simple Answer  (Read 951 times)

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
Re: Re: A Simple Question Seeks Simple Answer
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2007, 05:15:40 AM »
Originally posted by Gianlupo
Let me see if a non english can get them...

1. the redudant adjective should be linguistical, jargon already set the "matter" as linguistical.

2. the generally-accepted error should be ending the sentence with a preposition, the correct form should have been something like "... the redundant adjective to what I'm referring" (not sure "what" is the correct word to use :p)

Bada Boom Bada Bing!

Give this guy a cigar!  
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
A Simple Question Seeks Simple Answer
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2007, 06:19:36 AM »
Thank you! :)

Can I have a chick, instead? :D

Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Re: A Simple Question Seeks Simple Answer
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2007, 06:24:54 AM »
Originally posted by Sloehand
OK, here's hoping the responding posts will clear up my ignorance without too much ego-bashing.

First, I admit it.  I'm an old fogey and I don't participate in online forums anywhere, but here, excluding work-related Intranets.

Therefore, with little such experience in this environment, I have been mystified trying to decipher the all pervasive concept of "IN", which I see referenced in many threads, and is frankly far beyond my current level of comprehension.  I thought I had it figure awhile back, but as I continued to read and register its usage, the elusive thing seemed to morph in mid-post, corrupting my neatly arrayed premises supporting my definitive conclusion as to its nature, meaning and proper usage.

So my question is, what in the stunted domain of acronymic, grammatically-crippled, English-crushing online forum linguistical jargon does "IN" mean?

(Pleas ignore the redundant adjective in my last sentence.  Sounded good so I left it that way on purpose.)

TEST:  Can you identify the redundant adjective I refer to?

EXTRA CREDIT:  What is the generally-accepted grammatical faux pas I just committed in the previous "TEST" sentence.

How is that a simple question?

I would consider a simple question something like the following: "Do you like cake?"

And my simple answer would be: "Yes."

I didn't even bother to read the above.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

storch

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2007, 06:50:54 AM »
hello. Uh........can we have your liver?

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2007, 12:53:44 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
EDIT: D'oh! The spinach-pie-eater beat me to it! :D

Hehe, I see Gian is still a big fan of his country's spinach pie :aok

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2007, 01:20:46 PM »
The correct answer to your E.C question would be that you would have to put it into the past tense form becuse you are refering to somthing nin the past tense you have said

The correct answer is the following:Can you Identify the redundant adjective I have Refered to
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2007, 04:53:56 PM »
I don't think that's imperative, Bosco... maybe he could have said "I'm referring to", but I think the present tense is correct, there's no perceptible lapse of time between the two sentences.
Live to fly, fly to live!