Author Topic: Freelook and making a headset for it  (Read 2226 times)

Offline Bad31st

• Copper Member
Freelook and making a headset for it
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2007, 10:57:06 PM »
Nice work swoose! Pics like those really help guys like me that haven't done much work like this.

Are you planning on upgrading to Freetrack or just using freelook?

as a side note in my implementation of freelook I used an unmodified logitech cam and used one of those MAG light key chain lights and taped it to the brim of a cap for testing. It worked but in the middle of testing my wife walked in and boy did she laugh...

Offline Bad31st

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2007, 10:57:07 PM »
Nice work swoose! Pics like those really help guys like me that haven't done much work like this.

Are you planning on upgrading to Freetrack or just using freelook?

as a side note in my implementation of freelook I used an unmodified logitech cam and used one of those MAG light key chain lights and taped it to the brim of a cap for testing. It worked but in the middle of testing my wife walked in and boy did she laugh...

***edit*** sorry about the double post - don't know what happened...

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2007, 07:41:31 AM »
Bad, does Freelook work with an unmodified camera with light turned on, or do you have to play in the dark?
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline Bad31st

• Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2007, 07:52:41 AM »
I'm guessing but it would probably work but it would be sketchy at best...The Idea is to get the camera to "see" nothing but the light - that gives the freelook application a "point" to use as a marker and then translate to where on the screen the mouse is or moves to...

I never play with the lights on and when I play in the day my room is fairly dim as I keep the blinds closed and my window sits on the shady side of the house...

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2007, 05:40:36 PM »
Yes freelook works without  IR-leds.. but was VERY sensitive to interference.

As far as cooking my LEDs... well they are less than $2 each and installed into LED sockets I ripped off an old computer case down in the basement.. so replacing them takes literally 2 seconds.

I also tried adding a fifth to further bring down the voltage of each.. and they wouldn't even light at that point, so I think they are already at their low end of operation voltage... I'm not worried about cooking them.

I've discovered if I point them straight forward, I have to turn the camera sensitivity way down and if I do that more than a slight movement makes it lose track of one or two of the lights, so I've discovered if I point them down about 30 degrees, I can crank the "brightness" up on the camera and get almost a full 90 degrees of head movement.

I'll probably mess with it a bit more over the weekend.

Offline swoose

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2007, 06:23:05 PM »

Thanks. Hope they help. Let me know how it turns out.

Offline wooly15

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2007, 07:50:17 PM »
I finally got freetrack working with a 4 LED setup...wife shakes head and walks away in embarrasment.  The only problem is that it will only do forward, back, and tilt.  Is that a software limitation or a setting?  It sees all four with no interfearence.

this is the LED setup:

x

X             X            X

Offline Bad31st

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2007, 01:01:57 AM »
Wooly - I'm not sure if this is the case or not but I'd guess that you're LED's may be laid out wrong. Refer to the image posted by The Fugitive - notice how the each LED has a different "address in space" -

Look here for a good picture of how the LED's are laid out - notice that the LED in the bottom center is closer to the cam/monitor than the one top center...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 01:27:22 AM by Bad31st »

Offline Bad31st

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2007, 05:55:10 AM »
Ok so I kind of have Freetrack working but how do you enable it in AH?

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2007, 06:27:59 PM »
Just turn on "TRACK IR" mode in I think it is View Options

Offline wooly15

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2007, 06:59:09 PM »
That post didn't turn out right, the top X (LED) was supposed to be above the bottom middle one but further back.

Offline fsim

• Zinc Member
Commercial?
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2007, 05:21:20 PM »
yes?

Offline fsim

• Zinc Member
I would rather spend $15 for a commercial one.
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2007, 05:38:47 PM »
Actually, I did.... :p  and is pretty happy with it. The "Cachya". I never got a touch to any Trackir devices :cry , so cannot compare them. But this software meets almost every imaginations of my 6DOF dream. :O  Well, 5DOF in Aces High.

Setup is easy though. Print a card and stick on your hat, that's it!

Anyway Here is the link:
http://www.cachya.com

and here are demos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WP0PY2j9OM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Ju7FV1m_w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07Pd4EbwRQ4

:aok

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2007, 08:07:42 PM »
Fsim, why do you say that AH has 5 DOF? Hasn't it 6?

I just bought a webcam, and tried it with Freelook... it works, but it's not satisfactory.... how about cachya? Do you need to make the room dark, or can you play with any light condition? Is it fast enough? What about FPS drop? Can it work like TrackIR on all the DOF? It's just less than 12 euros, but I'd like to know if it works, before buying it! ;)

Thanks for the answers! :)
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2007, 12:49:58 AM »
I just spent a little time fooling with it and from what I can tell its a total waste of time. documentation is pitiful and no actual help file or documentation beyond the website. More then likely a waste of $15 but maybe others will do better.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson