Author Topic: bigger gunsites  (Read 381 times)

Offline oldtard

• Copper Member
bigger gunsites
« on: May 31, 2007, 01:50:35 PM »
Is there anyway to make my gunsite fill the whole sightglass (not talking about zooming in).
I would think you could play with the .bmp in the site folder but after 2 days i still havent figured it out.
I have searched a few times for answers but i cant find what i am looking for so if anyone knows how plz post.
     TY and
OLD42

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
bigger gunsites
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 02:37:42 PM »
There is only "so big" you can go. I think the pony default one is the biggest, and by biggest I mean the circle/ridical. I'm not sure of the size, but the "space" HTC allots in the plane is we'll say 64x64. That means no matter how big you make it, its going to be squished into a 64x64 space.

Whats the problem your having that you think a bigger site might help? Maybe there is another solution to it here.

Offline oldtard

• Copper Member
bigger gunsites
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 02:52:05 PM »
Originally posted by The Fugitive
There is only "so big" you can go. I think the pony default one is the biggest, and by biggest I mean the circle/ridical. I'm not sure of the size, but the "space" HTC allots in the plane is we'll say 64x64. That means no matter how big you make it, its going to be squished into a 64x64 space.

Whats the problem your having that you think a bigger site might help? Maybe there is another solution to it here.

yeah i thought maybe there was a limit like 64x64 but was hoping that could be increased oh well.
I was just thinking if i could make the stie 2x the size it is now it would be alot easier for me to use

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
bigger gunsites
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 02:55:48 PM »
It would be nice if some of the sights were a little bigger, since it seems that some of them (F4U, for example) are smaller than "scale".

Are you having difficulty seeing the sights?  Are you aware that you can adjust brightness, etc, to some extent?

Assuming that the sights are visible enough, going larger generally makes them less accurate.  Larger sights often cover more of the target, which can cause issues.  They can also lead to not being picky enough when aiming.  Your bullets will go to the center of your sight , at your convergence setting, regardless of whether your sights are 1/16 of an inch or 10ft across.

What specific issues do you hope to fix with larger sights?  Maybe we can help.

MtnMan
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
bigger gunsites
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 02:58:01 PM »
I have experimented with increasing the outside circle with good results, it is possible, but I do not know how far you can go, I myself went about 2 1/2 widths of the outside circles line diameter larger.

YMMV
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline oldtard

• Copper Member
bigger gunsites
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 03:03:17 PM »
Originally posted by TequilaChaser
I have experimented with increasing the outside circle with good results, it is possible, but I do not know how far you can go, I myself went about 2 1/2 widths of the outside circles line diameter larger.

YMMV

OK cool could you tell me how you did that so i can play with it myself
 TY

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
bigger gunsites
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 03:09:17 PM »
ok, took for instance the default gunsight.bmp file and alpha file, copied them ( renamed the copys to  whatever) then opened up in MSPaint or PaintShopPro and began to work on increasing..try to keep file size near the same

same resolution
same bit color

same pixel size

It would be nice if some of the sights were a little bigger, since it seems that some of them (F4U, for example) are smaller than "scale".

edited: mtnman,  this was my reasoning for increasing the site diameter of the default site , so I could use it in the F4U variants....... I do not use it in any other plane types..
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 03:16:59 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline oldtard

• Copper Member
bigger gunsites
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 03:10:11 PM »
Originally posted by mtnman

Are you having difficulty seeing the sights?  Are you aware that you can adjust brightness, etc, to some extent?

Assuming that the sights are visible enough, going larger generally makes them less accurate.  Larger sights often cover more of the target, which can cause issues.  They can also lead to not being picky enough when aiming.  Your bullets will go to the center of your sight , at your convergence setting, regardless of whether your sights are 1/16 of an inch or 10ft across.

What specific issues do you hope to fix with larger sights?  Maybe we can help.

MtnMan

well i belive that some sights such as the default p51 site could be used with better succes if it were bigger it looks to me it has the markings for distance and maybe some deflection markings.
I did alittle searching on the net for the p51 site marking but didnt find much info on it yet but all those marking must have had a propose